Notices

Jc Perf

Old 04-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Jc Perf

If you saw stress maks before get ready for a spider web show. This is like welding the shocks on your vehicle in one place. The boat will want to flex around this but this will not flex and could even bust thru. I would use this idea but take a 2x4 and encapsulate it in glass, you will have some flex but will not have a rigid bar there. It is not too late, I guess you could try this but it will show in the gel after a short time and could cause more work in the end. You could even use a sheet of plywood wraped in glass and cover a larger area and transfer the stress over a bigger area, or add a bulkhead here. You were right in not letting it touch the side hull, there has to be a space there where there is just a glass tab but nothing solid or it will bust out. Bulkheads do not touch the sidehull, it may look like it but the solid does not.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitch's concept of taking marine plywood, maybe 8 inch strips , and laminating them to the deck and side of the hull will be way better than what you have. This would form a mini bulkhead.

What you have done so far may stabilize the deck but the sides of the hull will still be jammin'. And next you will be .

Reinforcement must be done evenly to distribute the stress or flexing.

Next thing I would do is take it a little easier on the boat. Apparently you are in some water that is beyond the builders imagined limits.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered

better pic....

I only have one hour on the boat and we were not really sure if they were stress marks or where the boat always hit the dock when docking (no rub rail) boat was used in Lauderdale and had 70 hours on it. When I took off the 32 decal, my guy noticed that it had been re-painted a couple times and wasnt sure it was from dock rash or stress so he put this in just iun case... should it come out?
Attached Thumbnails Jc Perf-jim10.jpg  
Old 04-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Registered

Dallas lakes will not torture a boat like the ocean waters of Lauderdale would, could and will.

What Mitch implied is very simple, take marine plywood and wrap it in glass. Next, take the plywood and west system it to the side and deck of the boat to make the mini bulkhead. Then begin to layer glass over the plywood allowing about 5-8 inches of glass to come into contact with the hull or deck on either side of the plywood. You may have to lay up as much as 3-4 pieces on the entire area and stagger it, don't band it , do one layer at a time, kepi it tacky and keep working it.

If you had any significant structural problems you would see it on the inside. What little I can see in the pic there is no hair (loose ends of glass) sticking up.

What you may be seeing as cracks is an area where an excess of gel coat was applied or a cosmetic repair that was bondo'd. As open as your cabin area is a repair would be easy to see.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered

By the way, I really kind of over simplified the glass work. It takes somebody who really knows what they are doing to get it bonded as actual framework or structure to the boat.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by expresscat39
By the way, I really kind of over simplified the glass work. It takes somebody who really knows what they are doing to get it bonded as actual framework or structure to the boat.
Thanx E39... The guy who did it is a boat builder who builds smaller bay-style fishing boats. He said it was just as a precaution due to what he saw on the outside of the boat. The inside was fine.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Registered

I think you should name the boat....

IZOD......
Old 04-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered

It really should come out, it is too narrow to really do anything, it will support this narrow area but all around it will flex. Your boat builder has the right idea for a small boat in a lake but you are running in big swells and big chop and it is just not enough. It is not hard, the person to really talk to is NautiKitty, Parnell did extensive work in the bow of his 41 Saber to fix this exact problem. I did too in a 33ft Donzi, it flexed so bad you could se the bow move up and down. We doubled all the bulkheads and stringers and laminated a 3/4 inch piece of plywould (it could be marine but does not have to me since it is high and dry and completely encapsulated) and it stopped it dead. We ran the piece from the windscreen to the bow so there was no question it was solid, you don't want to do this twice.. It still has to flex in the end, a rigid boat is not a good thing so the balance is hard to hit but can be done. I would PM Parnell, like I said he just did this so it is fresh in his mind and he did the work himself. He has a wave crusher now.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Next thing I would do is take it a little easier on the boat. Apparently you are in some water that is beyond the builders imagined limits.
Dallas lakes will not torture a boat like the ocean waters of Lauderdale would, could and will.
Forget Lake Champlain Jimmy... Keep that "rough water" rig on the trailer. LMAO!! Maybe Dave will loan you the 20' Cig for your big water excursions...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
Forget Lake Champlain Jimmy... Keep that "rough water" rig on the trailer. LMAO!! Maybe Dave will loan you the 20' Cig for your big water excursions...

JC had such a horrible time last year at Champlain .... where did your boat finish?

You worry about out driving GL.... still the King last I heard

Quick Reply: Jc Perf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.