Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits cat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/126531-outerlimits-cat.html)

WeaponX 04-03-2006 04:14 PM

Re: Outerlimits cat?

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
he was blowing the turbos up, it will take all the so called "motor guys" awhile to figure the turbo thing out.

I have a water heater just like that in my house!! :evilb: :D

Harper220 04-03-2006 06:39 PM

What's up with putting 1500, 1600, 1800 hp motors in boats? My god where does it end? I would think that boats with these monster hp motors are in the shop more than on the water. I guess I don't see the fun in that? :rolleyes:

Panther 04-03-2006 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
It wasn't there. Bob said it was like a month or so out. His will be the first, and will have the BPM drives.
Yes he had problems with the turbo motors, but I don't think they were grenading. Just not making the power he hoped for. They are back at Pfaff's with PSI's and will be run on alcohol.

Alcohol?? That doesn't sound very good for a boat..... The amount of tuning that's going to be needed (just about every day) will be rediculous.

dank368 04-03-2006 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
the ski race boats are not trying to make 2000 hp and live for 200 hours, I have ran turbos for 3 years and have never blown a turbo up, my motor guy has done turbos for 16 years fabricating his own stuff, not using the off the shelf stuff. I have melted aluminum KE headers several times ( but alot of other people have too, and it is a casting flaw in them, one of the ones we melted we cut open and found alot of really thin spots) we have broke the welds on the intercooler (when we had them built we were only going to run 8 lbs boost, they never broke till we started running 25 lbs boost that they were not designed to handle) my drivetrain is totally different than anyone else's, we have a driveshaft hooked directly to my crank and have broke drivesavers that were rated for 2000 hp, we broke several driveshafts, and now the only problem we have is breaking props. but looking at what the other marine engine builders are trying to do, we can see things that we had problems with 10 years ago and worked through and they are just going to try to do trial and error to solve them.

Tyson

Thanks BYC... :drink: :D
(Good luck....I want to see that baby, of yours, really run :eek: )

dank368 04-03-2006 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Harper220
What's up with putting 1500, 1600, 1800 hp motors in boats? My god where does it end? I would think that boats with these monster hp motors are in the shop more than on the water. I guess I don't see the fun in that? :rolleyes:

I would imagine that they are built for the purpose of going extremely fast. Not for pleasure boating.
Some people probably like going really fast.... :D (damn hooligans) :D

ratman 04-03-2006 08:17 PM

I would imagine that they are built for the purpose of going extremely fast. Not for pleasure boating.
Some people probably like going really fast.... (damn hooligans)
takes one to know one....i love your ride dank its sweet as they come bro

CAP071 04-03-2006 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 3600cat
I have a water heater just like that in my house!! :evilb: :D

:D :D :D

dank368 04-03-2006 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
takes one to know one....i love your ride dank its sweet as they come bro

who me.... ;)
Thanks Ratman!!! :drink: :drink: :D

I'm anxious to see the new Outerlimits cat, I'm sure it will be Awesome!! :cool:

Byrdman 04-03-2006 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
It wasn't there. Bob said it was like a month or so out. His will be the first, and will have the BPM drives.
Yes he had problems with the turbo motors, but I don't think they were grenading. Just not making the power he hoped for. They are back at Pfaff's with PSI's and will be run on alcohol.

Pleeeeze...how you going to run alcohol in a pleasure boat all the time...????..You have to get them to a certain temp then nail it...the variance in temp will change the tune up then they will blow up...you guys are the only ones on alcohol maybe it will be for speed runs.. :drink:

masher44 04-03-2006 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Pleeeeze...how you going to run alcohol in a pleasure boat all the time...????..You have to get them to a certain temp then nail it...the variance in temp will change the tune up then they will blow up...you guys are the only ones on alcohol maybe it will be for speed runs.. :drink:

:evilb: