Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Life Jacket Law In Maryland (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/126589-new-life-jacket-law-maryland.html)

GOODT 04-03-2006 07:48 PM

New Life Jacket Law In Maryland

This one I do agree with (I think)

New Rules Take Effect For Life Jackets
Young Children Must Wear Specialized Vests

POSTED: 2:50 pm EDT April 3, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

ELKTON, Md. -- New rules have taken effect for children and life jackets in Cecil County.

Children under 4 or who weigh 50 pounds or less are required to wear a personal flotation device under new rules being enforced by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

The flotation devices will have a different design including a crotch strap, high collar and web handle and are now required for children riding on a boat 21 feet long or less.

"This lifejacket not only fits a child properly, but it has extra safety features," Natural Resources Police Sgt. Ken Turner said.

The penalty for a first offense is $500.

Griff 04-03-2006 11:01 PM

Re: New Life Jacket Law In Maryland

1 Attachment(s)
Any Parent that wasn't doing that before shouldn't have been operating a boat anyway. A good law, now enforce it with the $500 penalty.

CAP071 04-04-2006 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Griff
Any Parent that wasn't doing that before shouldn't have been operating a boat anyway. A good law, now enforce it with the $500 penalty.

You would so suprised how many people don't even have them on board for their small kids :mad:

Airpacker 04-04-2006 07:24 AM

Simple rule around our family for all the kids : NO COAT>>>NO BOAT!
I won't let anyone's kid under the age of 16 in my cat without a life jacket on.

Jupiter Sunsation 04-04-2006 08:36 AM

My two kids don't even know they are allowed on a boat without a lifejacket. Like car seats in the car, they know they have to be in one. Good rule, $500 seems to be steep for first offense but some people have to be saved from their stupidity.

sleeper_dave 04-04-2006 11:15 AM

It's definitely a good idea to have the kid in a life jacket, but new laws suck, period.

Back in the day kids lived in houses with lead paint, rode bicycles without helmets, went and played near ponds and lakes without supervision, played with mercury in school, and rode in cars that didn't even have seatbelts. Most of them survived.

Now you're an unfit parent if you spank your kids. I think we've gone a little overboard...

orss 04-04-2006 11:21 AM

great law, when i was twelve i make the firs recue of my life , i was walking to my dad's boat in a marina, and i saw a little girl in the water, holding of a rope that hang out of a big boat, the boat was runing and thier parent can hear her, i jump in the water and tow her to a ramp amd we got out, when i take her back to their boat the parent don't know she was outside , and they are ready to leave. if she had a lifevest on was difernt, she may swim out herself.rf

rackster 04-04-2006 11:56 AM

:( I have to agree with sleeper dave. There are already too many laws. Why is it that we are no longer capable of taking care of ourselves? Remember, once there is a law, there is very little room for "common sense".

orss 04-04-2006 12:07 PM

just think of this guys, you are in a boat something happen to you who take care of the kids?........ lifevest......

rackster 04-04-2006 01:25 PM

orss, I'll bet you didn't need it to be a law before you came to that conclusion (Which I agree with).