Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog? >

Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog?

Notices

Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog?

Old 02-04-2002, 11:02 PM
MIdnightRider

Post Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog?

Who takes their dogs boating, and what breeds?

Old 02-04-2002, 11:04 PM
packinair

My Newfoundlands (used for water rescue) or my Great Pyrenees

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT TRAVISS

Old 02-04-2002, 11:09 PM
MIdnightRider

I have friends with both of those breeds, and they make my 90lb weims look like poodles; You actually bring them on the boat? No comment Apache Kid, you out there?

Old 02-04-2002, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,
Here is the dog for you.....a "Vizsla".....
http://pets.yahoo.com/pets/dogs/bree.../?breed=vizsla

yep.....very smart, short haired, loves the water, did I say smart !!!!

Old 02-04-2002, 11:30 PM
MIdnightRider

The viz's are just like my weims but a little smaller, and a little more hipper in some cases. Short Hairs Rule, www.wegmanworld.com

Old 02-05-2002, 12:08 AM
Registered

You’re bringing a dog on your 42' Signature. What are you thinking?
One of the big cruisers, down at Hammond marina, had a pair of Rottweiler pups living on board. Very cool dogs. You’d never have to worry about someone messing with your boat. They were great with kids at the marina. I bet you could get a good trade in on your boat for a cruiser.
Dan
Old 02-05-2002, 04:45 AM
Registered

Wink

Always remember, small dogs make small piles. The few times we've taken our dogs on the boat we wished we hadn't. They can't crap and swim at the same time, and if you decide to dock for a meal or a beverage it just makes for one more thing to worry about.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:56 AM
Registered

Weimaraners are beautiful dogs. But I loke big dogs - I've had a Rott, Wolf/Shepard, Lab, Sharpei. Now my parents have a small yippy dog. He's cute, but I still like their lab better!! Just my opinion. And you have a big enough boat for a big dog!
Old 02-05-2002, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Midnight,
I have had two Weims; there temperament is suited to being on a boat. They are constantly moving and require a lot of people time though. They love being around people and are very personable. The do require huge amounts of activity to be happy. If the activity level were not a problem they would be a good boat dog. They love to swim. My Weim will go down to the creek and swim by himself for hours on end. If you put him on a boat you will need to have a way for him to get on and off the boat in deep water.

I had a pontoon at my other house and we would idle out to the middle of the lake and he would swim around the boat. When we were ready to return he would jump off and swim home about a mile or so. The short hair would be a benefit of this breed. Once they get on the water they want to get out and swim at every stop. My kids have a Jon boat that they take the dog on. He swims around shore whenever they stop regardless of the water temp. Having a dog on board is like a having a 90 lb. baby with you.
Tim T.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have to put in my 0.02 here on the Vizslas. They are great dogs. Not too big, not too small and very intelligent. They are loving, playful and very friendly and loyal. They are primarily found throughout Hungarian and Austrian history dating back to midievel times used as hunting dogs.

Quick Reply: Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.