Like Tree0Likes

Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Reply
Old 04-06-2006, 12:29 PM
  #31
Registered
Thread Starter
 
kswest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
My Boats: Donzi 28ZX
Posts: 329
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
On that other site it is interesting what that Donzi guy said about the steering actuator.
Plausible, or think it is the hull? - I guess I'll know after I look at the other one. - May have another survey for you to do
kswest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:32 PM
  #32
Registered
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: None
Posts: 3,682
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Years ago when I had a 40' Hustler with a single step, I asked Paul Fiore, who developed the Hustler bottom, why there were no steps in the 32' Hustler. He said the boat would not be safe at the speeds it could hit WITHOUT the step and would be too much of a handfull to enjoy...much like the Donzi was for Kyle and me.
Edward R. Cozzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:54 PM
  #33
Registered
 
pappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Spring Lake, MI
My Boats: Sold 42' Chief Warrior
Posts: 95
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Are you sure the trim was working? 3 or 4 should have been way more trim than you'd ever need on that boat. Almost sounds be the way you're talking that the trim wasn't even working.
pappo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:40 PM
  #34
Registered
Thread Starter
 
kswest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
My Boats: Donzi 28ZX
Posts: 329
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappo
Are you sure the trim was working? 3 or 4 should have been way more trim than you'd ever need on that boat. Almost sounds be the way you're talking that the trim wasn't even working.
One indicator wasn't working but Ed thought they were both working and the indicator wasn't. I agreed, there was a difference when it was adjusted.
kswest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:10 PM
  #35
Registered
 
pappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Spring Lake, MI
My Boats: Sold 42' Chief Warrior
Posts: 95
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Kswest,

I would look towards a different boat as something obviously is wrong with this boat. To me, it sounds like at least one of the trim pumps probably wasn't working causing the behavior. A stepped boat has different capabilities and characteristics as compared to a non-stepped hull. I would be very scared to run in a stepped boat that seemed to be very bow heavy as it will almost ensure that you'll spin out at some point. I can't imagine that you were seeing very good speeds out of that boat. With twin 350's I was seeing 72-73 mph. With twin 6.2's I would expect you to see a little bit better than that.

I would still recommend that you try another Donzi as I think they're a great buy in the used market compared to other boats. I think a lot of other people have suggested some other great boats like pantera and sunsation. You're likely to pay a lot more for the sunsation but those guys do make a hell of a boat. I can say that the 28ZX ran a lot better than a formula 303 I had.

As a former owner, I would buy one again if I were in the market for a 28 although you always want a bigger boat and bigger power!!! Thats why we all love this sport!
pappo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
  #36
Registered
Thread Starter
 
kswest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
My Boats: Donzi 28ZX
Posts: 329
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappo
Kswest,

I would look towards a different boat as something obviously is wrong with this boat. To me, it sounds like at least one of the trim pumps probably wasn't working causing the behavior. A stepped boat has different capabilities and characteristics as compared to a non-stepped hull. I would be very scared to run in a stepped boat that seemed to be very bow heavy as it will almost ensure that you'll spin out at some point. I can't imagine that you were seeing very good speeds out of that boat. With twin 350's I was seeing 72-73 mph. With twin 6.2's I would expect you to see a little bit better than that.

I would still recommend that you try another Donzi as I think they're a great buy in the used market compared to other boats. I think a lot of other people have suggested some other great boats like pantera and sunsation. You're likely to pay a lot more for the sunsation but those guys do make a hell of a boat. I can say that the 28ZX ran a lot better than a formula 303 I had.

As a former owner, I would buy one again if I were in the market for a 28 although you always want a bigger boat and bigger power!!! Thats why we all love this sport!
Thanks. This one is all by completely ruled out at this point. Unless I get some steal on it (sub $40s) to make it worth my while to fix it I will keep looking. I have a couple more to look at this weekend then I'll send Ed back out to make sure all checks out.

I haven't got the survey yet but Ed and I talked at length afterwards and the consensus was the ride was horrible, it needed some (2-3k ) work and was dirty as hell. Throw swapping out the steering on there + that maybe not fixing it and even the best of deals now looks bleek.

One of the others that someone posted up has a lot of the standard maintence work already done and a pretty nice paint scheme to boot.

Another is low hours and very clean (according to the owner, haven't seen it yet).

Neither have the 6.2s, but I doubt at this stage I'll notice 40HP anyway.

Moral of the story ... HIRE A DAMN GOOD SURVEYOR. The small fee you pay for their knowledge goes a long way when you are not doing $5k in repair work a couple weeks after getting your new boat.

Thanks again for all the replied. The power boating community puts the car / motorcycle community to shame with their willingness to help. In the past few days I have recd. at least a dozen offers to take me out on their boat ... thanks.
kswest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM
  #37
Registered User
 
Shanghied Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toms River NJ
My Boats: Shanghied! 2004 Donzi 33 ZX
Posts: 1,422
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

There could be a few factors one big one sounds like the props are turning in and not out. The 28 ZX runs with the props out and is very stable if you switch the props to turn in the boat runs faster but raises the bow and looses control.
Turning The props In
1) bow lifts leaving front step out of the water in return creates walk
2) she will drive loose almost out of control
3) you feel this most after 62mph
Turning the Props Out
1) Rear Lifts adding more control on the boat
2) You loose about 2mph off top end
3) very Stable front step is now introduced in the water for control
4) You need more trim to get the nose higher but you will run solid.
I see this all the time when guys want more speed, they turn the props in like a conventional hull and then the ride gets sacraficed.
The only thing that bewilders me is The Donzi is a 2001 and don't remember that year having 6.2s Scorpions yes 305s and 350 Mags but I didn't remember the Mercury 6.2s until 2003.
Attached Thumbnails
Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water-franks-boat.jpg  
Shanghied Again is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:14 AM
  #38
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member
 
LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NorthEastern, PA
Posts: 2,512
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

I already posted a few times on Donzi.net , It looks like your getting the info you need from both there & here.. I have been in the zx's & even supercharged them... They are a very good stable boat.... Someone had to have jerked something up either steering system wise or prop rotation wise... I also remember going out on a 33zx a few years ago with one of the test drivers from Donzi & talking about the 28zx. It was one of his favorite boats!! Jamie
__________________
www.LakesideRestorations.com 570-639-2628
We Make Fast Toys Faster, Cool Toys Cooler and Old Toys New!.. Performance, Custom & OEM Parts & much MORE![/CENTER]
LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:52 AM
  #39
Registered
 
UNSANE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: O-town
Posts: 1,775
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
There could be a few factors one big one sounds like the props are turning in and not out. The 28 ZX runs with the props out and is very stable if you switch the props to turn in the boat runs faster but raises the bow and looses control.
Turning The props In
1) bow lifts leaving front step out of the water in return creates walk
2) she will drive loose almost out of control
3) you feel this most after 62mph
Turning the Props Out
1) Rear Lifts adding more control on the boat
2) You loose about 2mph off top end
3) very Stable front step is now introduced in the water for control
4) You need more trim to get the nose higher but you will run solid.
I see this all the time when guys want more speed, they turn the props in like a conventional hull and then the ride gets sacraficed.
The only thing that bewilders me is The Donzi is a 2001 and don't remember that year having 6.2s Scorpions yes 305s and 350 Mags but I didn't remember the Mercury 6.2s until 2003.
The one I rode in had Scorps with props turning in as well. Think it was an 02 or 03, but can't remember for sure.
UNSANE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:38 AM
  #40
Registered
 
32storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
My Boats: Boatless....
Posts: 589
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

I had the opportunity to drive a 28ZX with twin 350's. I ran it in a slight 1-2 chop. I was truly, very unimpressed with the boat. I thought the ride quality could not stack up against the Formula which I had at the time. I wasn't impressed with the handling, even with the external steering. It had descent speed for the power, I suspect it's due to the twin steps on such a short running surface is getting a lot of air under it.

It's too bad, as at the time, I could have bought the 28 for excellent $$$'s....but, just didn't like it, regardless of how good the $'s were.
32storm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
kswest
Donzi
4
04-14-2006 11:21 PM
powerguy
General Q & A
1
01-26-2004 10:41 AM
powerguy
General Boating Discussion
33
01-23-2004 11:08 AM
toonatime
Donzi
0
06-17-2002 10:44 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.