Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   coast guard documenting and boat loans? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/127194-coast-guard-documenting-boat-loans.html)

26sonic 04-10-2006 08:50 PM

coast guard documenting and boat loans?

Looking at a boat that is coast guard documented by it's current owner, on the back of the certificate it shows you can transfer it to the new owner(me) does anyone know the cost ? also
inquired into different marine loan establishments and a few say they require the boat to be coast guard docummented as part of the loan requirement. one loan company said they would charge me $450 to get it documented ? why would I pay them $450 when all I need to do is fill out the back of the certificate and send it in with a fee ? am I missing something ?

carrboy 04-10-2006 09:00 PM

Re: coast guard documenting and boat loans?

Just by my 31...clean NY title, great boat , no bs :drink:

carrboy 04-10-2006 09:03 PM

Actually the 386 I just bought is uscg documented and I don't know where to start...I do know if you go through the boating discussion pages there are at least 2 different threads covering this but I haven't taken the time to do so.

GLH 04-10-2006 09:09 PM

Check this form "Bill Of Sale. (CG-1340)"

Here...

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/genpub.htm

Some other answers here...

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Hope this helps.

Sydwayz 04-10-2006 09:10 PM

Tony, I thought you already bought a 31????

IF you decide to do it yourself, you can, and there is no issue with it. However, you will not get any temporary registration for the boat. If you go with a service that will do it for you, they can issue a temporary certificate that is an official document stating the paperwork has been processed to move the permanent CG documenation into your name/address.

A quick work around might be to go ahead and regisiter the boat in NY State and run it with NYS numbers until you get your CG certificate back. You can ping Reckless32 (Rick) with a PM or if he does not respond I can get you his number. He also just posted this same info a few weeks ago. He did his all himself, and I believe he paid for expedited shippng (just like the service company will do) and had his back in no time.

ALL IN 04-10-2006 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Tony, I thought you already bought a 31????

IF you decide to do it yourself, you can, and there is no issue with it. However, you will not get any temporary registration for the boat. If you go with a service that will do it for you, they can issue a temporary certificate that is an official document stating the paperwork has been processed to move the permanent CG documenation into your name/address.

A quick work around might be to go ahead and regisiter the boat in NY State and run it with NYS numbers until you get your CG certificate back. You can ping Reckless32 (Rick) with a PM or if he does not respond I can get you his number. He also just posted this same info a few weeks ago. He did his all himself, and I believe he paid for expedited shippng (just like the service company will do) and had his back in no time.

dont know if applys to you but i saved sales tax 0n 60k buy going certified i'm in ohio.i paid $350 and it took about six weeks. i was faxed the paper work from the coast guard and it was like 15-20 pages.filled it out three times then said screw it and paid the money.then went in got the sticker and never had to pay sales tax.i have the number to the guy he is called the boat documentor p.m. me if you need it. good luck

Doug 04-10-2006 09:51 PM

Sorry Sydwayz but I don't agree with what you said. The Documentation center will give you temporary papers. When I did my Top Gun they were backed up about 6 months. I sent the Bill of Sale, there form and a check and waited for two weeks and then called them. They faxed me a paper that had my Documentation number on it and it stated that I had applied for a number and everything was ok and just waiting for final approval. I took the paper to Ohio and got my sticker with no problem. 6 months later just like they said I received my official papers. And about not paying sales tax :D Don't register it in the state you live. That was told to me by some Power Squdren guys at a boat show.

Sydwayz 04-11-2006 12:41 AM

I have not heard of them faxing temporary documentation, but that's all good. I did not mind paying my finance lady to do mine, as she took care of more than I asked her to anyhow to get my boat purchase done including handling all of the paperwork to sell my old boat which she did not make any money on.

What I posted above, was only info I had gotten from here on OSO.

ALL IN 04-11-2006 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I have not heard of them faxing temporary documentation, but that's all good. I did not mind paying my finance lady to do mine, as she took care of more than I asked her to anyhow to get my boat purchase done including handling all of the paperwork to sell my old boat which she did not make any money on.

What I posted above, was only info I had gotten from here on OSO.

In my prior post i put 6 weeks i meant 6 months to get the thing final i screwed with it for about 2 months then paid to have it done and it still took 4-5 months.sorry for the typo good luck .

RedDog382 04-11-2006 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ALL IN
dont know if applys to you but i saved sales tax 0n 60k buy going certified i'm in ohio.

then went in got the sticker and never had to pay sales tax.

good luck

Hate to break it to you, but they WILL find you. I thought the same thing for two and a half years. There is someone in the area who has a full time job tracking down guys like you (and me :D ).

When he finds you, you will be given the opportunity to pay the original tax PLUS INTEREST immediately in order to avoid a very significant fine.

Better have the coin set aside somewhere.