Notices

Sell or part out?

Old 04-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell or part out?

Well, I'm deciding what to do with my old boat, a 32' Maxim. I purchased a newer smaller boat, and don't know which way to go with the older one. It's a 1977 Maxim (Formula hull) with twin 454's, MercTrans II's and TRS drives, on a triple axle aluminum trailer. It's pretty old, so the paint is bad, and the original 454 has low oil pressure, the other a gen IV is ok. It was a salt water boat, so the outdrives are corroded. I put it on eBay a while back and it brought $6000. Would tehre be any classic value? From what I've been told, Stu Jackson from Formula built them, and it's the only one I've ever seen. The interior was new 4 years ago, so that is ok. Do you think I am better off parting it out? Here is a link to a pic:

Last edited by ApolloMaxim; 04-12-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Sell or part out?

IMO........It has a funky older look.......in offshores it all starts with the right look.....if you could lose the windshield and put a fairing on and remove the bowrail you may have something that someone would want to work with......thats provided the hull is surveyed solid.......thats alot of work for a maybe........... alot of guys who restore an old boat start with a pedigreed classic like an old Cig or a 27 Magnum however......but everything will sell for the right price........parting it out may be the best........hows the trailer??
Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'd go back and try and sell it for $6K. It seems like the time it would take you to tear apart and ship out the things you can sell would be a greater hassle, and then you have to contend with getting rid of the large things you might not be able sell, namely the hull and or the trailer; which would probably cost you in the end.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

sell it.. IMHO.. everyone and there dog will be calling and just wanting one or two things off it.. and they'll want you to mail it to them.. so on so on and so on.. IMHO
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell it in one piece. As has been said you will get more money parting it out however at some point you will have a shell that no one is going to want and have no way to get rid of. Plus it always is a little emotional ripping a boat apart.

Jon
Old 04-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd just sell it. Plus, that tow vehicle you have won't cut it either!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

SO I should at leat take the bow rail off for a better appearance? And the Volvo tows it great as long as you give it a little gas before long upgrades
Old 04-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put it on e-bay, hope the nigerians want to buy it, and then think of a way to sting the nigerians for a lot of money,
Old 04-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

That Car Pull it far??
Old 04-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Registered

You'd be suprised how well that Volvo pulls, just need to put it in low to when pulling the boat out of the water. Anyway, I'll put it on eBay in a couple of weeks whole, it'll save me the headache of tearing everything apart.

http://groups.msn.com/SwindsPhotos/3...to&PhotoID=775

Last edited by ApolloMaxim; 04-13-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Sell or part out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.