Notices

A True Offshore Race

Old 04-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A True Offshore Race

is any body here think in the fact of safety will be impossible in a race like that, well for example in a race Miami to Bimini, OK is only 120 mile but what happen is some one have an accident, well will be helicopters that deploy divers but, what you will do for medical attention? that people will have to be lift out to a helicopter and take them to shore, the only helicopters with that capability's will be the coast guard , and they can commit a ship for that race they have bigger obligations, and i think no mater how big the money will be in the race is not enough to pay for somebody's life,rf
Old 04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

There is no question that safty issues will have to be planned out. But, to say it can't be done is very wrong. Every year there are a few little races called Paris to Dakar, Baja 500, & 1000. It's possible to have safty crews. I'm not saying it's easy just that it's possible. There is also a race called The Americas Cup (I personally have no intrest) that race takes place on the open ocean & I'm sure there are safty provisions for it. Also if a company like Baja (not my favorite) was to build a boat & win great that's one more boat company invovled that is not currently racing. Every year there is a Catalina ski race (skiing behind an offshore boat can't be that safe). That seems to happen without major issues. Here's an idea lets do the same only a little longer a little faster & without the skiers.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bjlesl
There is no question that safty issues will have to be planned out. But, to say it can't be done is very wrong. Every year there are a few little races called Paris to Dakar, Baja 500, & 1000. It's possible to have safty crews. I'm not saying it's easy just that it's possible. There is also a race called The Americas Cup (I personally have no intrest) that race takes place on the open ocean & I'm sure there are safty provisions for it. Also if a company like Baja (not my favorite) was to build a boat & win great that's one more boat company invovled that is not currently racing. Every year there is a Catalina ski race (skiing behind an offshore boat can't be that safe). That seems to happen without major issues. Here's an idea lets do the same only a little longer a little faster & without the skiers.
in Dakar if is an accident the helicopter can land, in the Catalina races, the boats are running maybe 70 mile and the Skyler is the one that take the better chance for an accident , in offshore race is an accident happen the victims have to be lift with a winch to a helicopter, i know can be done but the cost will be wow$$$$$$,rf
Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Registered

Anybody ever heard of the America's Cup,Australia also has an all ocean race,and also there was a New York to London called the Rolex Classic I think. None of these were televised their boats are as expensive if not more than ours.These races do not have spectators or safety teams while out at sea.What they do have is sponsorship and that will only come to a professionally run sanctioning body.By the way if anybody can make this happen count me in!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
Anybody ever heard of the America's Cup,Australia also has an all ocean race,and also there was a New York to London called the Rolex Classic I think. None of these were televised their boats are as expensive if not more than ours.These races do not have spectators or safety teams while out at sea.What they do have is sponsorship and that will only come to a professionally run sanctioning body.By the way if anybody can make this happen count me in!
I'm 100% with you. I guess I've done a poor job of saying the sanctioning body has to look at the process of Nascar & stop trying to copy the actual event. Also the thread before sakoutis3 work on you spelling it's making me look good.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

Back then their was a big reason to race Miami to Bimini and most of you know why, my cousin Julio De Varona raced the El Boss with Willie Diaz. He also is the current record holder from Miami to New York.b Those were the days it was called the Bacardi Offshore Silver/Gold Cup I cant remember, the wit pits were in the four ambassador, how things have changed.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bjlesl
I'm 100% with you. I guess I've done a poor job of saying the sanctioning body has to look at the process of Nascar & stop trying to copy the actual event. Also the thread before sakoutis3 work on you spelling it's making me look good.
i'm sorry if you need to find some that not spell right to look good, at least i have an excuse i'm Hispanic and my English is not perfect , so what is yours, thank good that when i do my job saving somebody's life they don't complain about how i spell or talk, raul febres
Old 04-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Your Wish is GRANTED!!!!

Catilina Island Race is ON !....... JULY 8-9 2006

LONG BEACH to CATALINA ISLAND AND BACK

AMARICAS OLDEST OFFSHORE RACE.

Blood Guts AND Glory.

Kevin Cooper president of PORPA will post details shortly.

It's going to be a wild race

Bring it!

Marc
Old 04-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, now.... That just settled that!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Will Reggie show up for a Miami to Bimini race?

Quick Reply: A True Offshore Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.