Notices

A True Offshore Race

Old 04-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A True Offshore Race

I was wondering if anybody else would be intrested in an offshore race old school style with new school boats. The race is straight old school. F.Laudredale to Bimini & back just like the Apache challenge video. The rules run what you bring. What ever you think can take the seas. The boats should be equiped with alll the neccesary safity equipment. As for classes keep it simple. You can have supercharged class & a N/A class & everyone races together. So you'l have a class winner & a overall winner. It's like the Nascar All-star race & the 24 hours of LeMans combined. Have it televised & tape it. I know I'd buy a copy of that dvd. I think it would be great to have all the big boat biulders to really compete against one another & the open ocean. My money is on Outerlimits. Just a crazy idea for what I think would be a very cool race.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

Default Re: A True Offshore Race

Some idea like this comes up about every two years. None have ever come to fruition.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Open ocean racing is the way it should be. It was much more interesting back in the day when they ran out in the open. Navagation, boat strength, human stamina and drive package reliability were the key factors.

Running around bouys is just lame.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took many years for the offshore community to realize that without spectators , sponsored events cant survive.. Noone can watch a race offshore. Thats all there is to it
Old 04-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Some idea like this comes up about every two years. None have ever come to fruition.

Cuda is right. I think it's cost prohibited now a days because of the cost of having enough safety/ medical support. The old days you just had a life raft and hoped someone would come looking for you if you did not show up at a check point. I would think the speeds of the new boats we have now a days and the players involved wouldn't accept any less. But I sure would buy a DVD of it.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I'm not saying it would be easy just thinking it would great to watch. I know from my involvment in Nascar it's all about the show. In saying that the tv contracts are worth way more than the attendents in the stands. That is what got Nascar to the piont it's at today. An offshore race would work if someone used the fomula that Nascar used to sell there series instead of trying to copy the Nascar series. Gentlemen it's all about the tv contract trust me I've worked in Nascar for 15 years & have seen Nascar grow to what it is today. Offshore could do the same if the powers to be focus on offshore racing instead of a water version of Nascar.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Printed in the new Powerboat Mag .....Long Beach, Ca. is setup to start a true offshore race....first one is this summer.

The city is committed and there is rumor of a 25k purse.

This race will be outside the wall.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Registered

It would be nice to have at least 1 race per year like this. Paris - Dakkar seems to go off every year & so does the Baja 1000 & both of those races have to be pretty much filmed from the air.

The presentation has a lot to do with it too. When I watch Nascar, which is not very much, the booth full of goobers calling the race is a real turn off. If they could get someone with command of the english language to narrate and a little production value to the video (pre-race pits, on-board cameras, mic the drivers, etc), I think it could be an attractive event.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Open ocean racing is the way it should be. It was much more interesting back in the day when they ran out in the open. Navagation, boat strength, human stamina and drive package reliability were the key factors.

Running around bouys is just lame.
Now it's about sponsors, tv time, and lawsuits.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 87 Posts

Old time racing memories now available on the new website....
http://www.historicraceboats.com

Last edited by Top Banana; 04-15-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: A True Offshore Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.