LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever

Notices

LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever

Old 04-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever

Originally Posted by KiloKat
Not sure what you consider running hard. Have been to 150+ but not wide open. For those of you with number 6 drives, the setup I ran on my 36 was much easier and less expensive to accomplish. Same components though - lots of water, mufflers & turndowns that are under water when not on plane. And, before anyone asks, never ran it wide open with these either but did run 180+ briefly during last years "fun run" heading to Big Dick's.

Thanks for the information. This is very helpful.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael - In my first 36 Race/Pleasure, I had the in-line mufflers full time before the transom and then added HPI's after the transom. Wouldn't meet noise limits. Now, I only use external mufflers but the key here are the turndowns that exit slightly below the waterline when not on plane. On my 36 race boat, I used HPI mufflers with Gibson turndowns. On my 46, I had Gibson custom fabricate the entire system to my specs. One final note, we run an excessive amount of water through the Sterling engines for a variety of reasons. Therefore, we have an excessive amount of water leaving the exhaust which also helps reduce the decibels when running. Water is very important here - the more you have, the less noise. Good luck!
Dave
Thanks for the info Dave.
Michael
Old 04-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever

we rented a condo in june at loto guess ill call and cancel
Drive 7 hours to get a ticket ..toss off the lake no thanks ill go to cumberland or ky lake they want my money
Old 04-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't get too worried. It is like this every year. Every boating season, they always crack down hard, but by the time the lake gets busy, the Water Patrol is focusing more on BUI and boater safety violations. If you are within reasonable tolerance and use your head, you shouldn't have a problem. If nothing else, just stop shut off your motors and chill out. If they come over, tell them you lost power and can't get it started. Ask them for a tow back to your dock and they will undoubtedly get another call they must respond to......
Old 04-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what you consider running hard. Have been to 150+ but not wide open. For those of you with number 6 drives, the setup I ran on my 36 was much easier and less expensive to accomplish. Same components though - lots of water, mufflers & turndowns that are under water when not on plane. And, before anyone asks, never ran it wide open with these either but did run 180+ briefly during last years "fun run" heading to Big Dick's.
I remember seeing the side and back of your boat on the fun run. Not real sure what the front looks like.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Banned

Jawbreaker said it perfectly, that is the plan, and Dave I remember very well when you blew by me when we were over 150mph, that 36 was just stupid fast period.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 2 sets of through-transom mufflers for sale in the swap shop here on OSO

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...p?product=2183

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...p?product=2182

Yes, I have no shame
Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
VIP Member

As JBK put it--Just use some common sense and keep an eye out for the patrol. If you see em change course and keep your speed down. My boat is very loud and I have had no problem yet on LOTO. I have been stopped in Illinois twice and fined but they never tested me with a meter. They just said it was too loud!!!

I have added turn downs this winter and we'll see what happens.

Smitty
Old 04-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is on the very few big power boats here at LOTO not the very common V's with 500 hp.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:38 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
and Dave I remember very well when you blew by me when we were over 150mph, that 36 was just stupid fast period.
If you think the 36 was fast then I think your gonna love what we plan to unveil next week!

Quick Reply: LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.