Northern Michigan harbor info. needed

Notices

Northern Michigan harbor info. needed

Old 04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Northern Michigan harbor info. needed

All you Lk. Mich. members,
Considering buying a place in Elk Rapids or Empire.
Am I correct that Leeland is the nearest harbor to Empire ?
How our our type boats treated Elk Rapids and Leeland ?

ed
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Northern Michigan harbor info. needed

You will stand out in leland, but it's a sweet little port. Did you buy a TG yet?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Nykamp,
Gave up on the T.G., kept the beakboat and put the money into property.
Leland is a neat port.
I'm looking to retire in one of those areas and don't want to deal with a bunch of tight a*ses.
thanks,
ed
Old 04-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

Try the Boyne city area, come up and do the poker run and you will get to cover some sweet areas. Good call on property, you are a wise man. Hope all is well, steve.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interceptor
All you Lk. Mich. members,
Considering buying a place in Elk Rapids or Empire.
Am I correct that Leeland is the nearest harbor to Empire ?
How our our type boats treated Elk Rapids and Leeland ?

ed
Hey Ed, Tracy here. The wife and I boat out of Charlevoix. We launch in LK Char. about 3/4 mile south of round lake every w/e in the summer(weather permitting). The Char. marina is nice in round lake. We C alot of offshores in there. Have never stayed in the Elk Rapids marina but have been there and it is nice. The launch in ER is real decent, long docks! The cool issue w/ LK Char. is that when it is rough out in LK MI U can pull into gorgeous LK Char. and do a little boating or find a nice spot 2 throw a hook out and chill!!! Good luck! Wrink
Old 04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

My friend "Dyno" has had a few sailboaters throw a fit at him about his exhaust as he over nighted in a slip at Elk Rapids in the marina as you come in from Grand Traverse Bay---and he didn't even have dry exhaust, but that was DEEP inside the marina...not by the launch ramp. The launch ramp is very nice and adequate for longer boats...even a 47' if you had one.

Last year while I was Elk Rapids on Elk Lake with my 32' A/T I was going to a friend's house and apparently a couple people on the lake called the Sherrif's Dept Marine Patrol on me because of how loud I was. I was making some high speed passes by my friend's cottage.

The Deputy hunted me down, but he was real cool about it and told me that the same people complain over just about ANY boat that makes a little noise. Of course, mine makes more than a little with no mufflers, but I suppose the complainers have cried "wolf" too many times.....so, he basically told me to go easy. Actually, I saw/passed the same Sherrif's Patrol boat earlier as he was coming in as I was idling out through the "NO WAKE" zone and he just waved as I rumbled by at 800rpm.

I don't usually spend too much time on Elk Lake anyway, but I use it to get to Torch Lake via Lake Skegemog and navigate through the infamous "stump field". Torch Lake is beautiful and and I didn't have troubles there even with a few Sherrif's Patrol boats that were present. LOTS of boats on Torch Lake especially by the "sand bar"---very fun.

Also, on a different day while I was up at Lake Charleviox there were plenty of Marine Patrol boats around...Sherrif's Dept, DNR and Coast Gaurd---no problems. Went by them several times. Again, I'm not exactly quiet and it's pretty hard to tippy toe by them, I just wave and smile as I try to hush those Stellings full length tubular dry racing headers. but I try to be a cool customer.

That same day as we headed in to Grand Traverse Bay and stopped and dropped anchor at Marion/Power Island for lunch I had a few locals who were enjoying the day with their little family type run-about boats came up to me and asked questions about my boat and they all said they really like seeing boats like mine up there and would like to see more.

Anyway, Sorry for being so long winded, but that is what I have experienced so far while up there. I plan on being up around those areas again this summer. Hope to see you around.

Mark

Last edited by KAAMA; 04-19-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kaama, come on dude! U R being modest! Your boat is no louder than a through the hub 4.3L-V6 alpha drive 20 ft. runabout! Hope all is well dude! C ya up north!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed - from Empire - Leland or Frankfort closest launch to the big Lake. Have friend who picked up 3 acres in Empire and they can't wait to build. Beautiful area. No probs at the Leland ramp - most will ask you tons of questions about your boat as they don't see offshore boats except peak weekends. You planning on year-round living there?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I am up on Elk and Torch Lake all the time. I agree with KAAMA the patrol up there is great. (Knock on wood!)

As long as you don't do anything stupid around other boats you're usually fine. Not to many tight azzes up there.

And Torch is BEAUTIFUL!

Last edited by onesickpantera; 04-19-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to get further up in Northern Michigan. I have been as far as Hardy Pond and I love that! I really want to try Torch and some of the other lakes up North but it is a long tow from Indiana!

Quick Reply: Northern Michigan harbor info. needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.