Notices

Stereo Setup PICS Needed

Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Setup PICS Needed

Hey guys i just bought a 1989 Formula 272 Sr-1 and had it out forthe first time this weekend, it ran great 65mph with full tanks and 3 big guys,so i'm happy.But i want to upgrade the stereo on it,do like a CD player and two new 6.5's in the side but has anyone ever put subs in that sound good without having to put 12in holes under the rear bench.Mabye like a bass tube or actually build a sub box that sits inside the rear bench seat.Any info would be great pics would be best thanks guys.

This is the boat

Old 04-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Stereo Setup PICS Needed

Nice new ride ,Congrats. Ya might post in the Formula section and get some better response

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Registered

I don't know if you have the room but kicker solo barrick sub woofers sound awesome...... They make a 10 or 12" in a box you just have to find somwher to stuff them.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:42 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a 8" amplified bazooka in my 28' Powerquest a few years ago. I mounted it out of sight in an area accessed from the engine box, between the hull sides and the rear seat.
Sounded fine, no holes drilled and no storage lost.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 04-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I just had my stereo upgraded and they put four 10" subs in the sides powered by a jl 1000 amp and it made a huge difference they left the kicker speakers in where they were. i did not want to give up the space under the rear seat for boxes and even though this is not as good as the two 12's in boxes it does sound really good. if it stops raining tomorrow i will uncover it and take pics. they also put in an intercom and the stereo works in the headsets so i now have the best of both worlds i can hear the stereo while running or parked.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Registered

IF YOU DO DECIDE TO CUT HOLES USE A FREE AIR SUBWOOFER I USE "KICKER" AWESOME SOUND. THE SYSTEM IN MY BOAT COSISTS OF (4) 8" KICKER SUBS, (4) 6X9 KICKER COAX, (2) 10" KICKER SUBS, (4) 6-1/2, AND (2) SEPERATE TWEETERS WITH (5) AMPS. AMPS ARE NOT CRAZY WATTAGE TOTAL I THINK WITH ALL AMPS IS AROUND 1500 WATTS PROBABLY MORE BUT MORE BUT NO NEED TO TURN UP THE WICK AND BLOW SPEAKERS AND HAVE DEAD BATTERIES AND HAVE AMPS OVER HEAT. JUST REMEMBER A BOAT IS NOT GOING TO SOUND AS GOOD AS A CAR BECAUSE OF ALL THE OPEN AIR. BUT IT SURE DOES KICK AZZ. FOR YOUR BOAT A COUPLE OF 6X9 AND OR 6-1/2 COAX AND TWO NICE SUBS OR A BOX IF YOU DON'T WANT TO CUT HOLES. YOU DON'T NEED 1000 WATT AMPS. THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION JUST BY HAVING A COUPLE OF BOATS WITH SYSTEMS INSTALLED IN THEM. CHECK OUT IPOD. THEY DON'T SKIP IN THE ROUGH STUFF OR (XM), (SIRIUS). LOOK AT SPEAKERS THAT RUN ON 100-175 WATTS ON THE MINIMUM SIDE. THEY CAN BE 200-300 TOTAL YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING HIGHER.CHECK OUT WWW.ONLINECARSTEREO.COM FREE SHIPPING. CAR STUFF IS O.K. TO PUT IN THE BOAT I'VE HAD IT IN MY OTHER BOATS FOR YEARS WITHOUT FAILURE. NO PICS WIFE TOOK THE DIGITAL CAMERA BUT SHE LEFT ME THE BOAT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BOAT LOOKS SWEET!

Last edited by paxtonsc; 04-23-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by paxtonsc
IF YOU DO DECIDE TO CUT HOLES USE A FREE AIR SUBWOOFER I USE "KICKER" AWESOME SOUND. THE SYSTEM IN MY BOAT COSISTS OF (4) 8" KICKER SUBS, (4) 6X9 KICKER COAX, (2) 10" KICKER SUBS, (4) 6-1/2, AND (2) SEPERATE TWEETERS WITH (5) AMPS. AMPS ARE NOT CRAZY WATTAGE TOTAL I THINK WITH ALL AMPS IS AROUND 1500 WATTS PROBABLY MORE BUT MORE BUT NO NEED TO TURN UP THE WICK AND BLOW SPEAKERS AND HAVE DEAD BATTERIES AND HAVE AMPS OVER HEAT. JUST REMEMBER A BOAT IS NOT GOING TO SOUND AS GOOD AS A CAR BECAUSE OF ALL THE OPEN AIR. BUT IT SURE DOES KICK AZZ. FOR YOUR BOAT A COUPLE OF 6X9 AND OR 6-1/2 COAX AND TWO NICE SUBS OR A BOX IF YOU DON'T WANT TO CUT HOLES. YOU DON'T NEED 1000 WATT AMPS. THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION JUST BY HAVING A COUPLE OF BOATS WITH SYSTEMS INSTALLED IN THEM. CHECK OUT IPOD. THEY DON'T SKIP IN THE ROUGH STUFF OR (XM), (SIRIUS). LOOK AT SPEAKERS THAT RUN ON 100-175 WATTS ON THE MINIMUM SIDE. THEY CAN BE 200-300 TOTAL YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING HIGHER.CHECK OUT WWW.ONLINECARSTEREO.COM FREE SHIPPING. CAR STUFF IS O.K. TO PUT IN THE BOAT I'VE HAD IT IN MY OTHER BOATS FOR YEARS WITHOUT FAILURE. NO PICS WIFE TOOK THE DIGITAL CAMERA BUT SHE LEFT ME THE BOAT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BOAT LOOKS SWEET!
Why are you yelling?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Registered

sorry stuck on upper case.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Registered

I have a Clarion free air 10". It is OKbut not what I would call super notch. A buddy of mine just built a band pass box and stuffed a 12 in a compartment and ran the port into the interior...smaller/prettier hole and sounds very good. Something to consider.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
Why are you yelling?
Probably a habit from yelling over his stereo.

I have a single 8" sub in a box under the rear seat. Takes up vey little space and sounds good. Not a real thumper, but just enough to add some under normal listening condions.

Your boat looks in great shape from the pics. Nice!

Quick Reply: Stereo Setup PICS Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.