Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Building a boat storage barn... result on property value. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/128874-building-boat-storage-barn-result-property-value.html)

Sydwayz 04-30-2006 02:20 PM

Building a boat storage barn... result on property value.

Looking for input on experiences. I am just about to pull the trigger on a 30 x 50 barn that is probably going to cost $28,000 for installation and concrete.

What can I expect this to do to my property value? I have 3/2 home on 2 acres in the country about 20 miles outside of Downtown Richmond, VA.

Just about everyone in my area has toys; boats, tractors, custom car collection, race cars, lifted trucks are literally all my neighbors. In the event that I need to sell my place in the near future, how will this barn affect the value? Its going to be a wood frame with poles set into the ground, fully insulated, and a metal shell.
http://nationalbarn.com/northeast/

If you have sold a property with something like this; were you able to find someone who appreciated this improvement, and accordingly also paid for it?

Downtown42 04-30-2006 02:34 PM

Re: Building a boat storage barn... result on property value.

Go for it. If you plan on staying there for awhile. Around here there are 1-5 acre lots, I have 3 acres. If it looks nice there are buyers looking for big storage/work buildings in addition to the home. I sell real estate full time. Spend alittle extra on the front of building ( how it looks from the street). You'll love it. And you will get your money back plus appreciation.

Downtown42 04-30-2006 02:41 PM

I screwed up when I built mine in 1997. It's a 2-story 26x32 :(

I was boatless at the time.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...n42/Garage.jpg

t500hps 04-30-2006 02:42 PM

Brian,
I assume you've watched the property values in our area. After a year or 2 I can't imagine that building wouldn't bring back a return at least equal to the expense. And you get to use it while your there.
Now......if your thinking of moving in the near future, where might that be???

Sydwayz 04-30-2006 03:40 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input, and welcome more.

Russ, I have no plans on leaving VA, but this is the first time that I have really owned something. (Briefly owned 10 acres and another home on 1.6 acres in Northern VA a few years ago, in conjunction with a relationship.) I have rented 99% of the time, and I just like(d) the ability to be mobile on a moment's notice. My question is to help solidify a feel-good emotion that this will not be a loss if/when I am ready to sell.

open87 04-30-2006 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
don't know how it is by you , but down here in la it doesn't do much.....

i built a 30x40 at my home ,it really does not add much in "value"..
now, to me or to a person who is in the market that can appreciate it , it is worth more...or what you at least put into it..

just because you have extras in a property does not mean it will be reflected in a higher resale price...like a built in pool or property over built for a area or extensive landscaping..

i'm in that catagory...

now , if it is built into a home and is under beam of the home and is heat/ac'd it will reflect higher in price or "value".

at least this is how it was told to me....i'm currently trying to sell my home and the price reflects the "over built" for the area.. guess that's why i haven't sold it yet........ :mad:

Semper Fi 04-30-2006 04:31 PM

Brian,
I say go for it! If you do sell the home, I think that the storage barn you are building would only be a benefit. As you said, alot of people have toys where you live and even if they didn't, they would have some room for anything. I think it's a benefit for you especially, but you would have to find the right buyer who would want and appreciate the barn also.

Semper Fi 04-30-2006 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by open72
don't know how it is by you , but down here in la it doesn't do much.....

i built a 30x40 at my home ,it really does not add much in "value"..
now, to me or to a person who is in the market that can appreciate it , it is worth more...or what you at least put into it..

just because you have extras in a property does not mean it will be reflected in a higher resale price...like a built in pool or property over built for a area or extensive landscaping..

i'm in that catagory...

now , if it is built into a home and is under beam of the home and is heat/ac'd it will reflect higher in price or "value".

at least this is how it was told to me....i'm currently trying to sell my home and the price reflects the "over built" for the area.. guess that's why i haven't sold it yet........ :mad:

WELL SAID

open87 04-30-2006 06:05 PM

thank you :D

Rippem 04-30-2006 06:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
step up to the 40x60 though if you can. 30x50 gets small in a hurry!
40x60 gets 4 rigs across and more oppurtunity to get 2 deep. I filled my building with boats just closest associates at the hospital. I turned enough people (word of mouth/ other folks I know) away to fill another one my first winter here. Just left it open in front of mine to get the truck and plow in.

floor's wet 'cause I rinsed the floor that day. :D