Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Old shifters made new! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/128877-old-shifters-made-new.html)

US1 Fountain 04-30-2006 05:15 PM

Old shifters made new!

My winter project. Didn't like hte plain Jane all white shifters, plus wanted to add a 2nd switch for the tabs in addition to teh drives switch. Now can control both with 1 finger.

Started by stripping the white off.
Then made new knobs from solid brass, using the new profile like the EMI's and Livorsi's.
Silver solder them to the levers, after machining off the regular round knobs for a 1 peice no screwed on look. Also improved on the throttle switch feature. Didn't like the 2nd backing plate needed that is used on the current billet knobs. Mine just uses a single screw, much cleaner IMO. Also filled in the throttles Gaffrig logo area and the blank area on the shifters with silver solder for the no name look. Even made the bezel to fit the shifter base because the one I bought has a different profile than the gauge bezels (didn't like that concept) and had a large 1/8" gap around the shifter base. Seemed cheap to me: 1 size fits all look.
After I made the parts, sent off to the chrome plater. Then to OSO'r pachangalpina, for the powdercoating to PC the knobs purple. They look great, and at a fraction $$ of new.

US1 Fountain 04-30-2006 05:18 PM

Re: Old shifters made new!

more

customryder 04-30-2006 05:27 PM

Nice Job!!

JB4Boyne 04-30-2006 05:59 PM

Awsome job, can I send mine to you next winter? and a fraction of the money? :evilb:
Can I just take mine out and send them somewhere to get powdercoated? Where? Thanks, JB

US1 Fountain 04-30-2006 06:50 PM

Those would look good in 'Purple Haze'. :D Your 'fraction' would be higher than mine. ;)

Contact Todd, pachangalpina. I 'think' he does the full job; dissasemble, strip, coat, and reassemble. I just had him do the powdercoating itself.

Thanks

rouxsterre 04-30-2006 07:02 PM

You're unbelievable . . . .

Just machine yourself a new boat fer chrissakes.

JB4Boyne 04-30-2006 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Those would look good in 'Purple Haze'. :D

Hey I splash her for the 1st time today, took her out in Lake Michigan, she handled the 4' to 5's great. I think I'm going to rename her. I seen a guy I know that is a coast gaurd officer and he said with that name I might get stopped alot, them thinking I was a drug runner :rolleyes: I told him if I was a drug runner I could afford a Skater that they would never catch :evilb:

R Addiction 04-30-2006 10:09 PM

Nice Job.........Next winter I'll need your address :D

BillR 05-01-2006 07:46 AM

WOW!
VERY impressive! Nice to have talent like that - I don't.

Sydwayz 05-01-2006 07:53 AM

They look great! I did not think the original version looked bad.