Notices

XM radio antenae

Old 04-22-2002, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio antenae

I have read somwhere that someone had mounted a XM antenae in there cabin has anyone heard of this? Does it recieve the same?
jrocket
Old 04-23-2002, 10:08 AM
BARRY1784

That should not be a problem. It will work through fiberglass. [URL]

Old 04-23-2002, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default THAT WAS ME

JROC

You can mount the antenna in the cabin however there can not be any wires on top of it. I am learning however, that you will loose signal much easier if you have a below deck mounting. I have been advised that new products for xm are coming out daily and a new antenna that looks cool is on the horizon.

Maximus
Old 04-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Registered

Maximus,
Have you ever heard of a bar called O'Maddys or something like that? I met hte owner on a Poker run last fall.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Registered

I'm not sure how they are developing them for marine use but a few years back, on the last car I was working on early development of, I worked alot with the overhead systems packaging, airbags, lighting, headliner sunroof, ect. and xm antenna and wiring was one of the things I spent alot of effort accomidating. They wanted it no closer than 4" to the rear glass, and sunroof, and no wiring within 6" of the antenna. They used a heavily insulated wire that was quite costly, and still could not be run next to other wires for a certial tolerance, but something like 10mm (3/8"). It seems to really damper performance of the signal, but that was 2 1/2 years ago, and new technology has probably lessened the acceptable interference distance's. The deal with the minimum away from glass was a signal reflection, and our's was a 1" round antenna that went to a cone shape, and had to protruded thru the roof, there was a gps/onstar antenna next to it, and each had similar requirements so the wiring had to be run down seperate sides of the vehicle, and the sunroof shortened for glass interference safeguards. How do they recommend mounting them, I would think they would want you to mount it thru the deck protruding thru to the top of the deck for best signal, but my knowledge is from a few years ago, and I'm kind of curious as to how far it has come since then? I was thinking back then how could a boat have this, and asked the developers of the xm system if fiberglass had the same properties as sunroof's and back windows, They didn't have an answer, but thought I was refering to the corvette. Little did they know... Sorry so long, I'd just like to know nwhere it is now and haven't really thought about it in a while. I know the caddilac XLR and vette I'm working on now have no external antenna's sticking thru the roof like the car I did this work on previously. so your answer, I dont know, someone fill me in on this...
Old 04-23-2002, 07:44 PM
JAMMIN

My antena is mounted in the cabin near the top of a locker. The reception is great. Once we lost signal briefly when we were in the intracoastal running behind some highrises.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default magnetic antenna

I was looking at the Sony Plug and Play at Circuit City and it's my understanding with this unit it has a magnetic antenna.
I was looking to take the unit from my Truck to my boat and just plug in the tape and the Cigarette Plug into the outlet and place the antenna within a resonable distance.
http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/produ...878&type=Tuner

Cordell
Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Registered

Default Re: XM radio antenae

I have a Hi-Fi 2 and looking for a marine antenae. Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will go through fiberglass but NOT if it has metallic paint on it.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered

Looking for something to get my Sirius in the boat too. All the antenna's I've seen are magnetic. How do they work inside the cabin? I lose reception if I get under a canopy of oak trees.

Quick Reply: XM radio antenae

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.