Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup >

ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

Notices

ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

Old 05-02-2006, 07:37 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

Electric over hydraulic disc on all axles. Joe Murray
Old 05-02-2006, 08:03 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

Never had Electric over Hydraulic. My Surge brakes are fine. Stainless discs and added the "bleeding solenoid" to the supply line ($50-60 bucks). Backs up with NO brake locking and has worked great so far. (We do splash in fresh water though)

Parts can ber ordered from Champion
Old 05-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
http://etrailerpart.com/

http://www.championtrailers.com/

Electric/Hydraulic seems to be the best choice
I have had both!!! Surge brakes don't like backing up and no
gain adjustment.Just converted 40' Skater trailer to electic-over
hydraulic.The closest feeling to having air-hydraulic.
One other thing GO DISC
Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electric over Hydraulic.
Titan BrakeRite actuator w/ Tekonsha Sureset III breakaway on triple axle discs.
Purchased at Trailer Parts Superstore.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Kodiak Disc Brakes are the only SS/Nickel Cadmium brakes you need to look into. They are on all of the major player's aluminum boat trailers. I installed them on my first trailer, and they came standard on my current trailer. Pads are easily replaced locally at your auto parts store.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rat,
Try redneck-trailer.com. They are a wholesale trailer parts supply co. that have locations all over the States. You can get good info from their site as well. My personal recommendation would be vaccum over hydraulic with drum brakes, but if you are having to convert the whole trailer it would be REAL expensive, but REAL reliable. I just can't warm up to the disc brake in salt water combination. At least with drums you can have a set up to wash the drums out with "SaltAway", NOT that I would EVER put my trailer in saltwater, so, what do I know.

Robert

BTW, I tow about 12,000 miles a year with the afformentioned brake set-up with NO problems. But then again, I STILL believe that a triple axle trailer rides BETTER on SPRINGS than TORSION axles. Just call me old school, or an Ole Fart, don't matter, I still go down the road happier than a pig in a pile of sh!t
Old 05-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Step
Electric over Hydraulic.
Titan BrakeRite actuator w/ Tekonsha Sureset III breakaway on triple axle discs..
Same as my Eagle triple axle/382 Formula, over #14,000 with fuel and trailer. Electric over hydraulic is the best, far exceeds the surge on my old Eagle/311 Formula.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake s

how does the vacuum over hydraulic system work? what components does this type of system require?

tonto, do you have your boat lifted off the trailer into the salt water every time you use it? thx, rm
Old 05-03-2006, 08:49 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tonto
I just can't warm up to the disc brake in salt water combination. At least with drums you can have a set up to wash the drums out with "SaltAway", NOT that I would EVER put my trailer in saltwater, so, what do I know.
My trailer has been going in brackish water or salt water for five years with disc brakes, sometimes I rinse the brakes off, but more often not. Still working fine.