Looking for surface drives >

Looking for surface drives

Notices

Looking for surface drives

Old 10-28-2001, 10:08 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
props are also gonna be pricey, you will be using either SSM VI or custom props like the rolla 6 bladers.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:41 AM
Registered

"As in unfore seen issues?? or to turn props in or out ?? as for prop rotation not sure . Is there something I am missing or forgeting??"

As in running a reverse rotation engine for Arnesons or making other arrangments to achieve opposite rotating props."

You might want to call John Ingle of Ingle Marine in Clearwater as to the handling aspects of the boat. In the early 80's we put surface drives on several boats for Jerry Burton, Cigarette, and Craig Barrie. They were a 38' Cigarette, 38' Scarab, and I believe one of Burton's Excaliburs.

The Cigarette would not trim and was therefore not acceptable, the Scarab w/Kaamas was a handful when coming off plane and would not steer very well (flipped it once) and I'm not sure of the performance of the Excalibur.

We did put Arneson on a 41' Cigarette with diesel Cats that ran pretty good and eliminated the problem of breaking drives.

Handling problems around the dock were overcome with some patience and experience.

Drew
Old 10-29-2001, 09:25 AM
Charter Member#350
Charter Member

Excaliber Hawk:

I like the Pulse Drive a lot, it is simple,cheaper and a LOT better when docking. I beleive they did an Excalibur before so they can tell you more about the performance.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:07 AM
Registered

Andrew's got a point. Only the ASD6 comes in standard (chain drive) and reverse (gear drive) rotation.
There is a reduction gear tailstock used for velvet drives that provides for reverse rotation. I think it's either the 1.88 or 1.91:1. They're normally used in cruisers and I'm not sure of the HP rating on the reduction. It does sound a lot easier than grinding a cam, etc. for reversing engine rotation.
Gary
Old 10-29-2001, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Excalibur , The Kaamas will not handle that kind of power .The problem is the trans .I had them on a 40' formula and they were great ! But you can't put more then maybe 600hp in them .
There is a guy in New Jersey that has a 39' Sutphen with twin 900's and Arnesons and it works great ! I Have seen several Sutphens this way and they work good . Like they said engine rotation is an issue. I have older 1600 series arneson on my cat and they both turn the same way so one engine has to turn opposite . Newer arneson drives are avilible in oposite rotation . depending on drives and props shafts ,Arneson has there own shaft spline that is very hard to find props for (I think 15 spline ) They do come with speed master type shafts also . Get ones with 19 or 26 spline .19 spline is the small shaft #3-4 speed master ,and the 26 spline is large shaft #5-6 . You can find a lot of used 19 and 26 spline props for sale from $1000 up . And if you get the 19 spline shaft you can buy adaptors to use 26 spline props if needed . With that boat you will need 4 blades . Or even 5 if you can find them . Don't use 3 blades .They don't have enough surface . A friend of mine has a 40' Excalibur . Nice boat !! Good luck
Old 10-30-2001, 09:51 PM
whoosurdadi

Thanks guy's for all the input .. I think I should put somemore thought into this project.. any body have any ideas?? any and all help would be appreciated ...
charlie

Old 11-05-2001, 01:04 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The new ASD8's come in RH and LH Rotation and also have the same propeller spline as the Mercury SSM#6 Drives.

This eliminates the need for Opposite Rotation motors and bastard propellers.

You will need a reduction in the driveline somewhere, as the boat is too large for a 1:1 with a gas engine.

Your choices are: the new ASD8 Drop Box Drive, or a marine gear with built in reduction/rotation. The later consumes more power from your engine, and has a power limit as well as an rpm input limit.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:09 PM
Registered

Excaliber Hawk:

Dr.Santiago is right psi did a 45 excaliber about 1 year ago with 300 diesels. it look and worked great even better than the bravos it had on it at low and high speed.

If you call Harry at PSI I am shure can let you talk to the owner of the excaliber with the PSI's drive

PSI number is 1 954 788 0810

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: guillermof ]
Old 11-05-2001, 10:20 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

surface drive and deisels would be cool.

Run fast all day anto not worry about blowing up a big $$$ custom BBC. It woudl also be more economical than running two huge gas engines.

On the downside. I amnto a big fan of teh way diesel smells when burt. Ther eis just soemthign abotu teh scnet of a HUGE HP gas engine burning fuel!!! Butdiesels with SD are pretty frikkin neat.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:04 PM
Mike J

Check with Weismann AKA Traction
Products 909-645-4064.
They make a surface Drive but it isnot approved to run in APBA racing
Mike J.

Quick Reply: Looking for surface drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.