Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!! >

Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Notices

Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Old 05-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Originally Posted by RHC
Well, Well, Well,, now Fred,, first ya gots to put the boat lin the water ,,,, then ya gots to untie it from the dock,,, then,, Well u get the idea,,,
RHC
Now that's just wrong......
Old 05-06-2006, 07:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

JupiterS, totally agree... hope my post did not imply that the organized runs are not worth the admission, I'm a capitalist at heart and am all for anyone who's making a living in the world of boats except for lil deuce and a couple others. We are lucky by geography-- there are lots of boats here and plenty of good weather to use em... As our group continues to grow, organization is inevitable. We have already had informal conversations about helo rentals and a large annual event, possibly backed by the group or individuals who are interested in doing that sort of thing.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
I agree with Phantom...... and Power Boat.

last year some yahoo was hanging out with the fleet at the Manhasset Bay Poker Run....After the fleet left and he had his one blast to compare his performance to the paid customers he proceeded to cross Long Island sound and head for the last check point. Somehow he stuffed his boat and had serious injuries.......

The point?...A week later the police contacted the Poker Run organizer seeking to assign liability to him........(speaking of WTF????)

This could have been disastrous to the event and the organizer, robbing even the paid...and insured...participants of the opportunity in future years.

Bottom line...you can't "run alongside" at a Nascar event....so don't try it at a Poker Run.

Otherwise....you're not only a moocher....you're a potential accident looking for a place to happen.

Sorry if I wasn't sensitive to your feelings.

T2x
I rarely find you so far off base Rich.

This isn't Nascar and it's not held on a privately owned track.

Speaking of dangerous situations, liability and such, perhaps you could enlighten us on some statistics regarding serious accidents and deaths during poker runs? I don't recall reading about deaths in the spectator fleet as they watch the Poker Run participants head out. But I can recall some pretty horrific accidents and deaths among actual participants.

They liability issues that Poker Run organizers are facing have little to do with non participants and a lot to do with deaths of actual participants.

I'm not into freeloading meals or crashing private parties. I also don't feel any particular need to run along side an organized even in some test of machismo. And, I don't believe the majority of my fellow boaters do either.

That being said, I don't much care for a journalist telling me to "stay away, stay far away" when we're discussing boating on public waterways.

I don't believe poker runners have any more right to the public waterways than the fisherman in his 14 foot Aluma-Craft.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:55 PM
NRG
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't Nascar and it's not held on a privately owned track.
That being said, I don't much care for a journalist telling me to "stay away, stay far away" when we're discussing boating on public waterways.
all these points can be "discussed" either way, the idea that "at least" it IS being talked about is a positive thing...this has been a nice - FAIR & BALANCED discussion. Keep it up guys!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the jist of the article, whether you like the way it's written or not, is that if a boater knowingly goes to a PR without paying because he is too cheap, he has no business there.

If you are cruising in the ocean, minding your own business, and Stu's FPC or Marc's SOTW goes roarin by and you decide to run with them for a few miles, different deal. Just don't look for a free meal or a dock space. You just weren't invited.

Poker Runs are a great venue for my customers to meet other boaters. It's a learning platform as well. I've seen boaters help, advise and even teach another unsure boater things about their boat, tides, currents, etc. that they would never learn without the personal connections from the runs.
And then there's the few that go and help the others dock, change impellers, locate parts or whatever. It makes it that much more fun to know you have a 'family' looking over you on these events.

Forget all the accidents, liabilities or whatever other excuses you can come up with. Pay the guys that organize or just move on.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
I think the jist of the article, whether you like the way it's written or not, is that if a boater knowingly goes to a PR without paying because he is too cheap, he has no business there.

If you are cruising in the ocean, minding your own business, and Stu's FPC or Marc's SOTW goes roarin by and you decide to run with them for a few miles, different deal. Just don't look for a free meal or a dock space. You just weren't invited.

Poker Runs are a great venue for my customers to meet other boaters. It's a learning platform as well. I've seen boaters help, advise and even teach another unsure boater things about their boat, tides, currents, etc. that they would never learn without the personal connections from the runs.
And then there's the few that go and help the others dock, change impellers, locate parts or whatever. It makes it that much more fun to know you have a 'family' looking over you on these events.

Forget all the accidents, liabilities or whatever other excuses you can come up with. Pay the guys that organize or just move on.
Point well taken, I agree with ya 100%..especially the locate parts (props) thingy. THAT WAS A LIFE SAVER and a lesson well learned Jeff
Old 05-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAP071
That's why after 15 years my subscription ran out

At least you got yours, I haven't gotten one for 2 months and when I signed up 8 months ago it took them 3 months plus a half dozen e-mails to get it started, even though they charged my account the 1st day. They did send the back issues.

Sorry I just can't renew, too much work.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RHC
Well,,, at face value, I agree with the authors thoughts about freeloaders at the Poker Runs,,, I also understand your comments about going and watching and spending bucks at the hosting sponsers,,,, their are always two sides to every story,,,, My main thought is that all and I repeat ,,,, ALL poker runs are differant ,,, some small well organized ,,, some very large with lots going on,,, some are on (almost ) a closed course and some are on the Great Lakes and Oceons where there is lots of room,,,,, I have been to many of them , from the North to the South ,, to Texas and Ill,, New York to Canada ,,, and ,,, they are all differant ,,, Yes,, some people do steal from the event ,,, they take docks that were for paid entrents,,, the crash the door at the partys ,,, and they do not pay,,, hence the articul was written,,, others run with the pace boats and dont follow the rules set by the Organizer"s thus causing saftey issues,,,,
However there are others who show up and park there boats away from the event ,,, run at the end and stay out of the way,,, they ,,, I feel ,, understand the Cost of putting on this event and respect the fact that they are not involved ,, but ,, still want to see it and spend the day on the water and enjoy the sights,,,, Like I said ,,, always two sides,,,,,

RHC

AND here I was always under the impression that the PR officials paid you to go
Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
JnT
Registered

I can see why the promoters would not want people running with the pack that are not registered.
As far as being a spectator and coming to the runs without running I have done it for years. Tammy and I pick a spot and watch the boats run or hang out at a stop and take pictures.We usually spend a lot of money on drinks and food.
In 02 we had a participant staying at our hotel at the Emerald Coast run come up to us while we were taking pictures of the boats. We talked a while and told him why we were there(pictures and watching the boats run).
He said we were true enthusiasts and gave us 2 extra tickets he had to the party. I was hesitant to take them but he insisted and said he paid for them why not use them. We did and had a great time.
Really nice guy.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

one of the problems seems to be in what a "poker run crasher" is and what a "spectator" is. in the runs that i have done i have seen both. i personally have no problem with someone meeting up with the group. maybe hitting a stop to see whats up or running along with the pack for a bit. that's no real big deal. some people may have other plans and cant do the whole run. but i have also seen people weasel in somewhere before the first stop and next thing ya know your standing in line behind them for food or beer at the next stop (that you paid for!). THIS! and a two foot candle really burn my ass if its a money thing . . hey . . .i am waaayyyy at the bottom of that food chain when it comes to what most of the people in this sport make. i still pay all expenses for my hobby because i chose to make boating a big part of my life. i pay all expenses on the run. entry. . gas . . .everything. i take my self and my bro-inlaw and always leave two or three seats for overflow from other boats in the group. they always get used and all i ask is BYOB i budget the runs that i want to do and i am happy with that. i don't go an try and sneak in on a run because things may be tight that month (i go bust my ass at the shop, make some more money and work on my boat in the down time ). yes i am bothered by people that crash runs. maybe the article could have been worded differently. theif? . . .crasher? . . . whatever . . . it still aint right. a spectator is something else.

as far as the "elitist" thing goes, i guess i never really got exposed to that on any of the runs that i have done. the group i run with (LEOPA) has always been a pretty good group and there is a big mix of all kinds of boats. everybody in it for the same thing . . . FUN!!!. i started out in a 24 Mirage than the 260 Scorpion and now i am in a 34 Scarab III. when i first got the Scorpion i ran it in one of the big runs and surprisingly i was just about in the middle of the pack (granted i was full throttle and everybody else was cruising ) i never felt intimidated by the others. it was pretty faded and plain lookin that year and by the next years run i had gone through everything in the boat. power/interior/paint . . . everything. i tell ya . . . i never felt so good as when i was at one of the stops and i was complemented on how good the boat looked by the owner of WickedWon ( probably one of the most well though out boats ever built, impeccably rigged ) its always cool when somebody notices the work you put into something like that, your hobby your passion. that . . . my friends is why i am in this sport. yep. . . poker run crashers do piss me off but i'm not going to let it get in my way. im not gonna blow the whistle . . i'm not gonna point them out. i'm better than that. they know who they are and theres a line that they chose to cross. thats wrong.

look at it this way . . . what if everybody decided they were "just gonna run along side" the pack. wouldnt be much of an event

damn . . . my head hurts after write'n all that
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Quick Reply: Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.