Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!! >

Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Notices

Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Old 05-06-2006, 05:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Okay let's start by saying I am hardly ever offended by anything....I am an easy going guy who thinks everyone has a right to an opinion... But...In the latest issue of Powerboat Magazine which I received this week there is a letter in the back of the Magazine that just has me asking why? It is basicly about how he( the author) feels that anyone who attends a poker run with there boat and does not pay the entry fee is a theif.... He states that if you can't pay up the entry fee then to stay home.... Now I have run in a few Poker Runs in my area in the last few years....mainly the Manhasset Bay run in the Long Island Sound. Before ever actually entering the runs I would attend a few as a spectater from the water....running with the other boats for a bit and getting the feel for what goes on at these events and if it was safe for me to possibly enter one in my 25' boat in future events. Next I would then pull back in to the hosting marina, shut the boat down for the day of course, then more often then not run up a $500 plus bar and dinner tab with my friends who attended with me. I feel I may have not been an active participant in the event but at the least I was a spectater who did contribute just like a fan at a Yankee game.( And remember The Yankees would not exist without the spectators)....WHY and HOW am I a theif ?? What did I steal from the participants of the run ?? I did not have a chance of winning the best hand in the poker game...I did not cause anyone to not be able to run in the run...all that I did was make some extra money for the establishment who hosted the event which in turn will be happy to hoast again in the future to do the extra buisness they were able to generate. I also proved to my self it would be safe for me to enter in future events...which I do every year now. I also turned friends on to the sport who are now looking for boats of there own to enter in these great events. I apoligize for rambling on about this.....it just irked me that people (me at one time included) who actually help an event grow are being called thieves and leaches. And to the author of this letter who may read this thread...I apoligize for bringing this out in an open venue like OSO.....I probably should have just written a letter to the editor which I still might do. I am not picking a fight with you or anyone disagreeing with me on this topic....I just felt very strongly about this and would love some other opinions as to wether or not people agree with me on this one.... thanx for reading...........John.

Last edited by Here's Johnny; 05-06-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Registered

Default Re: Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Ill have to go read this article for I just got the magazine the other day. I never had equipment in my mind that was "good enough" to participate in a poker run for the fear of not being able to keep up or something breaking while I was running. Now that I have the 41 apache, I was thinking of seeing one and just poking around at one to see what happens and such before going all out and buying into one. So you are saying by doing this I would be called a thief? Thats not right, Its just spectator curiosity that might lead to me entering in a few of these now that I feel confident that I DO have the equipment to keep up and be a part of the pack not the last guy in past the inflatable from the 50' sea ray that came in last. LOL
Personally I feel that some of these poker run clubs should orgainize more "fun runs" for people to get the feel of a flat out poker run and they might have a little more success rather than just trying to make money on these runs (I think they make a profit from them correct?)

Reason I had a low confidence level wiht my previous boat is that I was at a local bar/restaruant on the water here and a few members of a boat club came in and more or less looked down their nose at me cause of the boat I was in compared to theirs, it was noticeably less $ than theirs. They refused to talk to me and a good friend of mine like we were not worth talking to cause of the boat I had. Well it was funny when I left and fired up with the dry pipes, they all came running over to see what was making the band having to stop playing and what had cam shafts so big they were stunned. Yeah too late buddy boy, Im outta here! (boat was a "sleeper")
Now that I have the apache im sure I have BOUGHT more respect out on the water from others but Ill be one to say up front, I never look down my nose at ANYONE if they have a different brand boat or an outboard or whatever. I remember how little that made me feel and I would NEVER do that to anyone else.
Ill read this article today but I get the jist of what you are saying.
Good post!
J
Old 05-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered

Yeah I saw that too, really poor choices of words and it came off as elitest to boot. I don't have to defend myself for being on a lake when there is a poker run and not be entered in it, whatever. Case in point was Desert Storm, I had personal reasons for not being in the run and alot of it had to do with it being at the Nautical but thats my own personal beef. but yeah I can't believe they let that go to print, what a joke. And yet these guys can't figure out why we call it Powerjoke magazine sometimes.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why after 15 years my subscription ran out
Old 05-06-2006, 07:35 AM
RHC
Registered

Well,,, at face value, I agree with the authors thoughts about freeloaders at the Poker Runs,,, I also understand your comments about going and watching and spending bucks at the hosting sponsers,,,, their are always two sides to every story,,,, My main thought is that all and I repeat ,,,, ALL poker runs are differant ,,, some small well organized ,,, some very large with lots going on,,, some are on (almost ) a closed course and some are on the Great Lakes and Oceons where there is lots of room,,,,, I have been to many of them , from the North to the South ,, to Texas and Ill,, New York to Canada ,,, and ,,, they are all differant ,,, Yes,, some people do steal from the event ,,, they take docks that were for paid entrents,,, the crash the door at the partys ,,, and they do not pay,,, hence the articul was written,,, others run with the pace boats and dont follow the rules set by the Organizer"s thus causing saftey issues,,,,
However there are others who show up and park there boats away from the event ,,, run at the end and stay out of the way,,, they ,,, I feel ,, understand the Cost of putting on this event and respect the fact that they are not involved ,, but ,, still want to see it and spend the day on the water and enjoy the sights,,,, Like I said ,,, always two sides,,,,,

RHC
Old 05-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the author could have put his point across in a much better way. after reading that, i put the magazine down.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Registered

All good points guys......and yes it could have been worded a little better....I do see an argument from the other side like RHC says...it was just to broad of an article and lumped everyone who doesn't pay as a Thief....and I always made sure to contribute in some way...that's why I took offence. Now because of the good times I had spectating I am a major contributer....entrance fees, photos, videos, food, alchohol, etc, etc. I would say they had a pretty good return on investment from the first few I attended.....
Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didnt read the article as I dropped Powerboat years ago .. After Bob Nordskog died.
I was getting my monthly issues on ski boats , jet skis, and everything BUT powerboats.
Personaly no into the Poker run scene, or any real organized events for that matter so no real comment on the freeloaders.
To be honest , the poker runs aalways looked like an ego contest to me
Old 05-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered

I was wondering if this was going to come up as I thought the wording of the article was too strong myself. There are two sides and I see both but "Thief" is a little overboard. He compares tagging behind a poker run to stealing a Porsche, which is just assanine.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:31 AM
RHC
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Didnt read the article as I dropped Powerboat years ago .. After Bob Nordskog died.
I was getting my monthly issues on ski boats , jet skis, and everything BUT powerboats.
Personaly no into the Poker run scene, or any real organized events for that matter so no real comment on the freeloaders.
To be honest , the poker runs aalways looked like an ego contest to me

I agree that there are lots of "Ego's" at poker runs,,, but ,, take them out of the equation and there are lots of "cool" people to meet and get to spend the day with ,,, I am talking about boaters just like yourself ,, that,, enjoy the water and the good times ,,, at a different location with tour guides,,, and they take you to all the best spots,,, think about it,,, some Poker Runs are a great Value ,,, Ya never know until ya try it!!!

RHC

Quick Reply: Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.