DROWNING: PLEASE watch your kids on the water

Notices

DROWNING: PLEASE watch your kids on the water

Old 05-06-2006, 08:03 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default DROWNING: PLEASE watch your kids on the water

Today was looking like a good day at the local beach/hangout for the first 30 minutes. I noticed a couple people walking around looking for something. While they kept tracking near the tree line and along the beach they never really seemed frantic in their search. Nearly 20 min. passes and I start to become concerned that they are still looking. Turns out they are looking for a 10 YEAR OLD GIRL!!!
About the time I realize what/who they are looking for a couple people enter the water behind the boats. 2 minutes later they start screaming, they found her on the bottom!!! Estimated time under water 20-30 minutes.
Police/rescue had already been called when she was found but this obviously speeds their ETA. She was blue....REAL BLUE and CPR was started. Took 15 minutes for the paramedics to arrive and although we had pumped alot of water out of her and gotten a little more color in her face things do not look good for this family. No response from her when they took her away and was bleeding from the nose.
Some of us stayed on the beach, others called it a day and left. I wanted to take my 3 boys (oldest is 10 tomorrow) and strap them in the cabin. I had to have a talk with each of them about what happened and stress why they need to wear lifejackets even while playing around the boats.
Story on the beach was this girl had a history of seizures.....why the he11 was she playing in the water unsupervised!!!

Anyway, Hug your little ones and PLEASE keep an eye on them!

Russ C.

Last edited by t500hps; 05-06-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DROWNING: PLEASE watch your kids on the water

I can only hope the little girl is okay. I feel for the family, I see young kids on their own in the water and is scares me. I wish parents paid more attention to what these kids are doing when out on the water. Especially the ones on the jet ski's.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

that is so sad and my heart goes out to those involved. also sorry you and your boys had to witness this. my neices never set foot on a dock without a vest on, it has always been an unflexable rule.

08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boy i hope the girl is going to be ok.you know so many times we hear these stories and it seems like most of the time if the parents had watched the kids a little better then it would not have happened.i know they can get away from you in two seconds but when it comes to water ether have someone in the water with them and a jacket plus someone on the beach keeping a eye on them
Old 05-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Registered

great post... as a former life guard( alot younger and a loooong time ago)

I couldn't agree with you more.... sorry but the parents should of spoken up alot sooner..... for starters

my kids grew up with boats and swam almost before walking (all 4 ) but there no excuse for this truly a sad story

Im not I big believer in life jackets for kids but I am a big believer that if you play near the water at least be prepared and there is no excuse for this

if she has a chance for a seizure then yes life jacket or dont put her in a position like this ...... all of mine are in there 20s now so I made it though the worst part 3 girls 1 boy, but still keep my eye on them, at 10 wont let them out of my sight
Old 05-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Boy what is worse than a hurt child? I was feeling great till I read this.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:03 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GOODT
..................I couldn't agree with you more.... sorry but the parents should of spoken up alot sooner..... for starters................
I know! I kept thinking and even said to my wife..."what are they looking for? They aren't moving fast enough to be looking for a kid..." Later I commented that "I would have had to whole beach involved in 3 minutes max!"
Old 05-06-2006, 10:06 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ReggieRaft
Boy what is worse than a hurt child? I was feeling great till I read this.
At this point I HOPE she is hurt.....from what I witnessed I don't see how she could have survived.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Was out last night watching fireworks on a friend's new cabin crusier. Four kids on board (2 age 2, 2 age 6) were wearing jackets but another parents 2 boys (who were the wildest) went unjacketted. It was pitch black and 100's of boats around so it could have been tragic had a kid been in the water. My two don't even question wearing a jacket because like a seatbelt in a car, THEY HAVE TO WEAR IT!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoulda, woulda, coulda .... Im sure the parents are kicking themselves ... cant imagine ... hope I never have to

Quick Reply: DROWNING: PLEASE watch your kids on the water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.