Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Slip rental vs. trailering of a 28 footer? >

Slip rental vs. trailering of a 28 footer?

Notices

Slip rental vs. trailering of a 28 footer?

Old 01-19-2002, 09:35 AM
JHR

Post Slip rental vs. trailering of a 28 footer?

I am looking for some good feedback on trailering vs slip rental. I am torn between what to do this spring- summer. I know the negatives of keeping the boat in the water all summer long but the options certainly exist to buy a lift. Trailering does it take too much time by the time you get there etc and return etc, especially after consuming a couple of vodkas. Anyway I would like to hear some feedback about this subject
Thanks
Jane

Old 01-19-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jane. Is rack storage an option in you area?
Old 01-19-2002, 09:42 AM
JHR

Hi
When you say rack storage you are referring to for instance valet service on the water correct, where you call ahead and the boat is in the water Please advise
thanks

Old 01-19-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

oops hit the wrong button. Ive done all three and now have a boat that I can keep in the water. I trailered a 31 formula by myself which is doable but a pain sometimes, especially after a few like you said. The rack storage wasnt everything either. If you get there after their hrs, too bad, no boat, and no slip if you wnat to just hang out at the marina for the weekend etc. I think the best option is a slip with a hydrohoist or something like that.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

yea thats pretty much it, but beware, when I did the rack service they said I could call in and they would put it in, never happened, also there hrs didnt fit my schedule either. Also that if it was later when I came back to just leave the boat and they would put it away in the morning. Yea sometimes day later. And you have to worry about the yahoo running the fork lift damaging the boat. They aslo said they would clean the bottom after taking it out, that was a laugh too. Of course our marinas in this area are all owned by the saem guy so he dont care about service. Tom
Old 01-19-2002, 10:03 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Jane,
You have to realize that a lot of effort is involved in getting the boat loaded with stuff and hauling it to the launch and putting it in the water. Especially if you are alone. Makes for some serious effort. I have done it for years and wish I could afford a slip and lift. To be able to walk up to your boat, hit a button and load the cooler and stuff, then go... well seems like a no brainer to me.. If you want you can pull the boat out and clean the bottom, or have it done.
I would suggest you trailer for a year that way you would appreciate the slip that much more!!
If you can afford it, I would go with the slip, if the local marina is a nice place and you can trust the people there!!
Good luck!!

Dick
Old 01-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Vonbongo

My 27 Fountain sits on a lift all summer, I trialered my other boats. This is much much much handier.

The trailer is always there for road trips, but nothing like sliding into the marina flipping the lever and having the boat in the water in 3 minutes.

Old 01-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Registered

I've done both, kept a boat in a high & dry in FL which was nice because I didn't have to worry about storms and the sun roasting it all day. If you use the right marina they will take good care of your boat, but you need to visit and watch how they operate before moving in. I will mention boats get very dirty in the storage buildings. I thought it would stay clean but you need to cover it or soot from the forklift running around will get all over it.
I now trailer since there are no local rack storage marinas near me. It's nice to be able to go to different areas to boat. Towing and the related tasks can be a PIA but it's not too bad. Whatever you have to do to go boating is worth it!!
Old 01-19-2002, 12:57 PM

I've done both and I'll take my trailer any day. I'll never have my boat held captive by antoher marina owner. All Marina owners have stipulations in their high n' dry contracts that forbid competitive labor...

I love looking at those poor schleps at the marina that I go to, because they're always sucking up to the marina owner just to get work done...and if you break down or need work done, they really have you by the balls.

They don't mind you using one of their racks to clean your boat or do minor maintenance, but as soon as mechanical work starts happening they get real nasty...

They're all blood suckers as far as I'm concerned. They smile at you, but the bottom line is that they want to suck every nickel, dime and penny out of you and they'll get nasty if they see another mechanic working on your boat. I've already been thrown out of one marina because the marina owner thought he could tell me what to do with my boat.

The bottom line is that it's my boat and I'll do what I damn well please with it and I'll never be beholding to any marina owner again in my life. As you may have guessed I've had some pretty bad experiences with Marina owners and I trust them all about as far as I can throw a SUMO wrestler.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: JeffreyBoy ]

Old 01-19-2002, 01:40 PM
Sammy

Jane, there are several advantages to keeping your boat in or at the water. You will find that your time on the boat will increase. You can boat around the weather. I think you will also find you will make lots of new friends in the marina. Being that you have a 28' it would be no big deal to haul it out every few weeks for a good bottom scrubing. Which brings me to an important point. If you don't have you boat botom protected , do it. I would recomend a barrier coat and a good bottom paint. If you don't want to go that route take the time to pull your boat out for cleaning and a inspection for blisters.

Good Luck
Sam

Quick Reply: Slip rental vs. trailering of a 28 footer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.