Like Tree0Likes

Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 377 Scarab
Default Re: Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank.

Chris, my brother and I put a 85 gallon tank into our pull rig (3/4 ton GMC) 20 years ago when we ran avgas for our Formula. We used gravity flow with a long hose to fuel the boat. We'd pull the boat up to the boat ramp dock and pull the truck part way down the ramp. I always worried about all the fuel right behind the cab and probably would go a different route today. Good luck, Jeff
Old 05-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered

My Boats: 330SS Formula 496's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A.
I looked into this idea myself. The main problem is that no transfer tanks are rated for gasoline. It is not just a DOT restriction, but there is an issue with the venting vapors and flammability of gas.

These diesel & turbine guys may be on to some new/old school.
Hey Tom. the link I provided in the 1st thread has DOT tanks approved, rated, for GAS or DIESEL ... Check it out?!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fix
The best set up that I've seen and been involved with is a converted trailer. We took a double jet ski trailer and installed a 150 gollon tank on it with pump and hose. The rig was small enough that it didn't take up much room when not in use and was pretty cheap to build.....
Thx LF, Looking into all options Truck has appeal for a few reasons ... for my purposes. Sounds like your set up accomplished the task at hand nicely though
Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

I actually just built a fuel trailer, it is a old motorcycle trailer I had and a 120 gallon AL tank off of a Dump truck. I havent filled it up yet because I am still tryingt o deciede if I want to gravity feed it or do a pump?? I will post a pic tomarrow

WILL
Old 05-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiguy377
Chris, my brother and I put a 85 gallon tank into our pull rig (3/4 ton GMC) 20 years ago when we ran avgas for our Formula. We used gravity flow with a long hose to fuel the boat. We'd pull the boat up to the boat ramp dock and pull the truck part way down the ramp. I always worried about all the fuel right behind the cab and probably would go a different route today. Good luck, Jeff
Yeah here in NJ I'm on a lift, on the water in my backyard, so I can just back into driveway and run a hose. Won't be gravity pump, so that'll run a few $$$$ extra, but should work. Also, have spoke to a 'few' neighbors who would be willing to share the initial expense to get up and running and to be put on the 'fuel stop' list

Last edited by NJgr8ful; 05-10-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Fountain 47

I used to haul gas in my pickup and fill my 42 Fountain at home. I had a 125 gallon tank with 50' of hose, a digital meter to keep track of the gallons pumped out, and a nozzle similar to the ones at the gas station.

I had it sitting in the front of the bed and I had a topper on the truck so you couldn't see the ugly thing. I had a marine fuel-fill mounted on the side of the topper and also a marine vent to keep the fumes outside.

I kept the pump in the "on" position all the time and had a switch mounted at the rear of the bed to turn it on and off.

It was kind of a pain to do all this, it would take 20-30 min to fill at the gas station and 45-60 min to fill the boat, but the Fountain had two fuel fills on each side and manuvering at the gas station was not easy to do.

When I got the 47 I decided to just fill up on the water, so I removed the tank from the truck. Now with gas being so high, probably $1 - $2 more on the water, I may start doing it again. I trailer the boat, but at 70' long, it's very difficult to find a gas station that I can fit into without blocking the driveways.

As for safety, I always unloaded the gas as soon as possible. I never had more than a few gallons in the tank unless I was ready to fill the boat. By keeping track of the fuel used, I was pretty good at buying just the right amount so as to keep the tank empty during regular use of the truck.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther
I've found that the pumps on land are much slower and take way to long to fill anything more than 50 gallons.

A few weeks ago when I had my boat on the trailer I took it over to the local station for 75 gallons. It took me 45 minutes.

they've slowed the gasoline pumps down so damn much on land...because of the price

at the old faster pump speeds, in the time it takes to give a good ogling to the hottie on the next pump...you're at $50!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2013, 42x, 1350s

Most people in this thread have tried what works for them. I to have done the same for these reasons. 1) the marinas at my lake have kids working the gas docks and don't take care not to spill gas on the side of the boat (twice, with twin tanks) . 2) the marina gas is about 30-40 cents higher and only 91 octane.

I picked up a 115 gallon transfer tank (aluminum tank w/baffles) at the tractor supply store. Had them special order a 200', 3/4" gas hose with digital flow gauge and auto cut of gas nozzle. Pump runs on a 12v battery so I just keep a spare 12v battery around. Put all this on a golf cart/atv trailor. Found a local station w/93 octane, and about 4-5 credit card transactions, my tank is full.

Takes me about 30-45 minutes to put 55 gallons in each tank. I have a private dock for the boat, so its a simple task I do durning the week.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2013, 42x, 1350s

Oh, yea. Forgot to say, I did try the tank in the truck thing.

When the tank was very full and the truck was parked on an unlevel surface with the gas fill at the lowest point, as soon as it got hot outside and the gas inside the tank expanded, I would have gas overflowing the fill and in the bed of the truck. Talk about fumes inside and outside the truck! Wow.

So I went the trailor route. Has been working well for me the last 10 years.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Necessary Evil .............Donzi 38 ZrComp.............

NJGR8, sorry missed your link there. I was checking through all my construction suppliers...shows what they know