Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank. >

Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank.

Notices

Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank.

I used to have a 150 gallon tank in the back of a 1 ton,scared me to death driving it around.Had a very good friend burn to death in a truck with a similar setup that was involved in a minor accident.Go for the trailer setup.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It may be a smart idea for us in the Richmond area to build a community refueling trailer. Some of our counties are doing this mandatory Ethanol thing, and personally, I plan to avoid the counties that have it mandated when it comes to fueling my boat, and I unfortunately live in one. We have a local fueling expert, and he may chime in.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, Hopefully I will have mine down at teh lake next weekend and you can look at it, to get some ideas

WILL
Old 05-11-2006, 11:43 AM
jtmiller02

We use a setup kinda like this for jetski rentals..its a trailer with a tank on it, but instead of hauling it around it has a privacy fence around it and a 12v battery there to power it. Once a week the guy from the local fuel co. comes and fills it up, and the price is a few cents cheaper than the gas station on the corner. His truck has a nice long hose so the tank can be a good distance from the street and because its a portable tank it avoids most permitting issues. Just a thought, if your town has a fuel co. that delivers.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ag. and commercial guys have been using transfer tanks for decades. I'd think a person would be able to run a similar set up for fueling the boat.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:56 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

few points
1- a fuel tank is safer full then empty, somebody mentioned that they left there's empty for safty reasons.
2- I have fuel delivered to my property 500 gallons at a time. I can have the fuel delivered for LESS than I pay on the street. I have a holding tank and a pump.

RT
Old 05-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It may be a smart idea for us in the Richmond area to build a community refueling trailer. Some of our counties are doing this mandatory Ethanol thing, and personally, I plan to avoid the counties that have it mandated when it comes to fueling my boat, and I unfortunately live in one. We have a local fueling expert, and he may chime in.
Brian, exactly what I'm hoping to do here in NJ Hope to get a few guys interested. Who's your local fueling expert?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jtmiller02
We use a setup kinda like this for jetski rentals..its a trailer with a tank on it, but instead of hauling it around it has a privacy fence around it and a 12v battery there to power it. Once a week the guy from the local fuel co. comes and fills it up, and the price is a few cents cheaper than the gas station on the corner. His truck has a nice long hose so the tank can be a good distance from the street and because its a portable tank it avoids most permitting issues. Just a thought, if your town has a fuel co. that delivers.
That's an option worth looking into too. Then again, friends and neighbors would be pulling up at my dock to fuel up then wifey will just love that
Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RBT
few points
1- a fuel tank is safer full then empty, somebody mentioned that they left there's empty for safty reasons.
2- I have fuel delivered to my property 500 gallons at a time. I can have the fuel delivered for LESS than I pay on the street. I have a holding tank and a pump.

RT
Good points RBT Thanks bud.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
Brian, exactly what I'm hoping to do here in NJ Hope to get a few guys interested. Who's your local fueling expert?
Maybe Point Bay Fuel can come fill up the tank on your property?

Get the boat in the water yet?

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.