Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is there any quick OCTANE tester out on the market?? >

Is there any quick OCTANE tester out on the market??

Notices

Is there any quick OCTANE tester out on the market??

Old 05-10-2006, 03:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there any quick OCTANE tester out on the market??

Is there any product out there available to quickly test for OCTANE ratings or levels ... like diabetic tests his blood sugar levels??? Or a woman might test for pregnancy???

Or is this something I should invent to make a quick billion or 2??? Remember if you steal this idea I'll reference this post ... it can be used in a court of law! LOL
Old 05-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is there any quick OCTANE tester out on the market??

You do it we'll buy it.
TS
Old 05-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered

Hey Terry I knew I could count on you for a sale!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I belieave its a specific gravity tester???

methyl tertiary butyl ether

UNDERSTANDING SPECIFIC GRAVITY

Specific gravity is the ratio of the mass of a liquid to the mass of an equal volume of distilled water at 64° F which is represented by 1.000 Specific Gravity on a fuel chart. Most fuel suppliers can offer the specific gravity number of a fuel. Should the fuel not match the specifications supplied, it might be contaminated fuel which could cause poor performance.

Specific gravity MUST always be referenced to a particular temperature reading. The specific gravity of a liquid decreases with a rise in temperature or increases when its temperature is lowered. Testing the specific gravity of a liquid will not identify its contents. it is only the measure of the weight of the fuel vs. distilled water. Methanol is commonly contaminated by water – which is heavier than the fuel. Checking the specific gravity allows the purity of the fuel to be referenced. When contaminated with a lighter or heavier specific gravity element, the final specific gravity reading will be lighter or heavier than the originally tested weight depending on the contamination of the fuel and the temperature reading.

WHY CHECK THE FUEL?

Combustion engines perform best at only one air-fuel ratio, and the ratio is determined by the weight of the air/fuel mixture. Since all carburetors and fuel injection systems meter fuel by volume, a jetting change must be made if the specific gravity of the fuel changes for any reason. This change will adjust the volume to keep the weight of the fuel going to the engine consistent. For instance, if the specific gravity of the fuel increases by 4%, then the volume of fuel put through the carb/injector system must be decreased by 4% to keep the net weight going into the engine consistent.

Many racing facilities and sanctioning bodies use the VP/Kinsler Fuel Analyzer Kit (sold by any VP distributor) to ensure the legality/accuracy of the fuel per any fuel rules the body might have. Alternative methods are available, but they can be cost prohibitive and time consuming.

OCTANE

Octane is a unit of measurement used to rate a fuels ability to resist detonation. Detonation (spark knock or “ping) is the tendency of the fuel to explode violently in the engine rather than burn smoothly at the precise moment when combustion occurs in the cylinder of the motor. If the fuel detonates, the pressure in the combustion chamber rises so fast and high that it is like beating on the top of the piston with a hammer – this is the primary cause of piston, rod, and bearing failures. The higher the octane rating, the higher the resistance of the fuel to detonate. Racing fuel is blended to provide additional octane rating, not necessarily more energy. In fact, all grades of fuel have about the same amount of energy per pound. Increasing the octane can help produce more power since more compression or spark advance is necessary to achieve the optimum performance level with that fuel. Too much octane, however, can slow the burn rate of the fuel causing a loss of power.

FUEL COMPARISONS

There is a big difference in specific gravity between various brands and grades of fuel, often even between two batches of the same brand. The typical range of premium automotive pump gas is .730 - .760 specific gravity rating. Aviation fuel is .680 - .720. Some unleaded racing fuel is as heavy as .790. Many blends of pump gas can often contain as much as 10% ethanol – measuring in a much heavier specific gravity range.

For Example: Unocal 76 Unleaded Racing Fuel - .788 Specific Gravity @ 59° F.

Unocal 76 Leaded Racing Fuel - .728 Specific Gravity @ 59° F.

http://www.geocities.com/vpracegasat...ravityinfo.htm

http://www.itscb.com/newsitetest/ser...FQ9xUAodIWImjQ

http://www.shatox.com/octanemeter-k.html

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another:

http://www.zeltex.com/portable/zx-101c.html
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No quick test, best price I could find was around $600 and a week to ten days for the motor/lab test.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Registered

Damn Strip, very impressive! When'd you get so smart???!!!

Where's the nakid girl links???? LOL just kididng bro. Thanks for the info and kinks .... Can I just borrow yours????
Old 05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Step one. Tie marshmallow to string.
Step two. Dip marshmallow into tank.
Step three. Remove string and marshmallow and place on ground away from fuel tank.
Step four. Step back and throw lighted phosphorous match at marshmallow.

If it goes "pop"--its mid-grade.
If it goes "boom"--its premium.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Registered

Actually that Ethanol as a water collector, or virtual sponge, is a big concern today, as discussed in other threads. The fuels on the road and marinas are being mixed sometimes @10%(++/--??) and can have catastrophic effects on our motors. So that gravity measure is probably an very accurate way to determine the fuel composition and possible contaminations levels ... as is Sydwayz pop and burn marshmallow theory Wonder which will run me more $$$$???
Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
Damn Strip, very impressive! When'd you get so smart???!!!

Where's the nakid girl links???? LOL just kididng bro. Thanks for the info and kinks .... Can I just borrow yours????
I finally learned how to copy and paste

I have a buddy here that owns a race fuel co here and makes his own race gas.His measures 705 the last time we cked it. He has a SG meter and he want even let me use it ,I would really like to test pump gas around here especially that I am at 8.5-9 lbs of boost now on 93 octane

It would be nice to find a cheap one

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Is there any quick OCTANE tester out on the market??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.