Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
POWERBOAT Mag NEVER CEASES to PIZZ ME OFF! >

POWERBOAT Mag NEVER CEASES to PIZZ ME OFF!

Notices

POWERBOAT Mag NEVER CEASES to PIZZ ME OFF!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 PM
NRG
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: POWERBOAT Mag NEVER CEASES to PIZZ ME OFF!

I am Shane Mahieu. OSO member #114. I am not affraid to speak my mind, I am also not one to look at others and judge them as a function of their wealth or lack thereof.
REALLY...what about this quote?

Hey BUTTHEAD! What kind of boat do YOU OWN? How much to YOU PAY to enter the same runs you speak of? Oh, you don't own a boat? Why? because you can't afford one and have to bum rides from manufacturer's?
their assumed wrong doings was not only ignorant and offensive, but based on nothing more than assumptions about which he has clearly not chosen to educate himself, not to mention extremely brazen if not stupid
IGNORANT? OFFENSIVE? ASSUMPTIONS? BRAZEN if not STUPID?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NRG
REALLY...what about this quote?

IGNORANT? OFFENSIVE? ASSUMPTIONS? BRAZEN if not STUPID?
So I guess I need to spell each out for you Mr./Ms. NRG whoever you are. For now we will call you "hiding behind my computer screen".

Hey BUTTHEAD! What kind of boat do YOU OWN? How much to YOU PAY to enter the same runs you speak of? Oh, you don't own a boat? Why? because you can't afford one and have to bum rides from manufacturer's?

What kind of boat do you own was asked because for someone to comment on others "right" to use the waterways when a Poker Run is taking place is elitist and condescending. For one to project their right to the water vs. someone else's based on their boats size is simply IGNORANT. (Read Poker Runs America will not allow a 24 Skater to enter their events).

How much do you pay...questions whether the person writing the article "rides for free" or pays his own way. Before criticizing others for not paying to play, they best be sure they too are paying their fair share. Why are you not a paying member here? Surely you are not affraid to identify yourself...

You don't own a boat? Why? Because you cannot afford one? Was said because the point I am trying to get across is that he is no better than those of us that don't have the BIG boats that are allowed to enter. Had he not made the ridiculous comments on PB that he did, I would NEVER have even THOUGHT of saying such a thing! But he opened the door and I stepped up to call his bluff.

So I ask you again NRG. Who are you? What is your background? Why do you not pay to play here?

Last edited by Shane; 05-12-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NRG
have a hard time trying to "rationalize" lowering myself to someone elses level over a few words. But if it makes you feel better, do your thing. I simply thought that making fun of someone elses financial capabilities seems childish. Make fun of their writing, their comments, o whatever. But "BEING ABLE TO AFFORD SOMETHING OR NOT", should not qualify someones opinions.
Being able to afford something or not, should not qualify you the right to use public waterways nor the ability to enter the event. His opinions should be and are qualified by his ability to back them up. I have backed up mine with FACT. However, several FACTS (which you fail to disclose) should qualify or shall we say disqualify you from participation in this forum. Your identity being first and foremost, your financial participation in this forum etc. I am certain you will agree that based upon the logic of the author of the editorial you defend, if you don't pay to participate in this forum that you are a THIEF and stealing from not only the proprietors of this site, but those of us that DO pay. Just like the author if he/she does not pay for their participation in the Poker Runs. He/She is straling from EVERY PAYING PARTICIPANT because their monies are covering his/her cost.

Last edited by Shane; 05-12-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys need to go to a happier place... think of nice things, like toilets in the back of tigers....
Old 05-12-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shane
REALLY? I need to get MY fact straight? Who is the organization that runs The 1000 Pslands Poker Run? When I have tried to enter, each time I was told, SORRY, your boat is too small. However, at other runs I have entered NO PROBLEM. Perhaps YOU should get YOUR facts straight.
It's Islands not Pslands. The 1000 Islands Poker Run is run by the 1000 Island Poker Run, they are a member of Poker Runs of America just like you are a member of OSO, but OSO can't tell you what size boat you have to have just like Poker Runs of America can't. It is up to The 1000 Island committee.
I don't know if you have a rash on your a$$ today or if you are always like this, if you are always like this it's probably not the size of your boat that is keeping you out.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
Sorry, I just didn't interpret the article the same way as you Tank.

And I don't think I need re-evaluate my boating practices.

The authors comment make me want to "stay away, stay far away" from poker runs as even a responsible spectator[not following the poker run and not crashing the parties].

In fact I probably want to keep away as a Poker Run sponsor too if promoters share his attitude.

If the author want to ***** about non paying boaters running with the group and freeloading at dinners or parties, I suspect he has the writing ability to make that point. Unfortunately he didn't.

His admonishment of non participants was far to broad.
I still stick with my original reaction on the article. I agree with the article on the fact that if someone (people running with a poker run pack, attending a private function, eating function food, not paying to be there, etc.) is benefiting by someones Else's (poker run organizers) hard work, time, money and effort then they are, in a sense, stealing.

It comes down to a moral issue to me. If you are using the poker run event to gain a good time or experience that you would not have without the poker run being there, then that is morally wrong....in my opinion. Again, that doesn't mean you can't go out and boat on the lake or spectate the event. And I don't think Trulio sees it this way either, since I didn't see ANY mention of these two topics in the article.

I saw it very blatantly represented...To quote "performance boaters around the country who think nothing of showing up at a poker run, running along side and hanging out with the fleet"

and "The right move isn't attaching yourself to the side of the fleet like a barnacle on a hull....the right move is to stay away from the event. as in far away."

If you are observing a poker run event. I don't think it's a far reach to expect the organizers to hope the spectators stay "far away" from the course. Matter of fact, I'm sure they'd be very appreciative if the spectator boats stayed as far away from the course as possible.

He also clearly states, "if you want to be apart of a poker run, you have to pay."

I think that line in the article pretty much sums up the whole story. I find if funny how some of you read into this as a civil plight for American freedom of boating and that the author is saying no one can boat unless they pay to participate in a poker run. Show me any quote in that article that says anything of the sort.

Bottom line. Ease up and don't read into things so much. Go take a Valium and relax a bit...Jesus.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
.Jesus.
Ahh, now you've gone and done it... Ya just had to drag religion into the argument didnt you...

Have to agree, I read the article the same way. Freeloaders exist in every sport, why should the PR circuit be any different? I help run a fishing tournament with buffett's, free drinks etc. It is amazing how many folks show up and try and scam food, drinks,shirts and anything else they can get their hands on..
Old 05-13-2006, 05:41 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane
I think I am going to be a THIEF just like the ones that @#$%^&* in Powerboat Magazine wrote about! You know, not sign up and pay, and run along with the gang! That guy is such a F-ING BUTTMUNCH! Maybe he forgot that some of us with boats that don't fit the "size" requirements of some Poker Run Organizers still like to enjoy the same PUBLIC waterways, but he thinks that because our boats aren't BIG enough that we should not even be out on the water! (For example, Poker Runs America will not allow me to enter their runs regardless of my experience because my Skater is ONLY 24 feet)

Hey BUTTHEAD! What kind of boat do YOU OWN? How much to YOU PAY to enter the same runs you speak of? Oh, you don't own a boat? Why? because you can't afford one and have to bum rides from manufacturer's? Oh you don't pay because you are a "celebrity"? How 'bout you donate the same money it costs those that enter to the charity of the organizer? First they sell out to the SAVE THE MANATEE CLUB, now they are bantering and berating it's own readership! I am DONE with POWERBOAT! In fact, I am going to use my remaining copies in my subscription as TOILET PAPER!

Funny, last time I started a post about Powerboat and the ad they ran for the Save The Manatee Club, it generated so much backlash, that Nordskog had Craig Cleaver, who worked for them at the time and who is a friend of mine, call me and ask me to take the thread down. PUZZIES! Maybe they should think about what their bonehead editors write first! I am surprised people like John Tomlinson and Bob Teague write for a such a bunch of self righteous whores. Yes they are whores because they freely take money from those they berate in their publication. Hey Powerboat, if I should not be on the PUBLIC water during one of your PRIVATE Poker Runs, how about you REFUND my subscription! Since I am a thief, I can only assume you wouldn't want your publication associated with a low life scumbag like myself!
Don't get a heart attack!
Old 05-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

That's my buddy Shane! I don't get PB anymore so I haven't read the article, BUT I would think that it would be kinda hard to mooch of the events parties and card stops if you don't have the magic wrist bads?, (Like my other buddy MBR said)
It's not really a worry for me, since I don't attend PRs, (other than the www.cffw.org PR which is run for helping to keep FL waterways OPEN to BOATERS) anyway!

Dean
Old 05-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to the grocery store last night and read the article in Powerboat. I put the magazine back on the rack....Is that stealing?

Go get 'em Shane....

Have the Poker Runners EVER thought about that THEY might be so called stealing when they run right through a bunch of boats anchored up over some bottom structure because they are fishing? NOPE, they run right through them!

Quick Reply: POWERBOAT Mag NEVER CEASES to PIZZ ME OFF!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.