Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ??? >

Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Notices

Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Old 05-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

I wish boat dealers and shops would stop using the term "Detail".

They need to look it up in a dictionary, cause their idea of a detail and mine are 180 degrees apart.

They should just call it a hosing!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:04 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Sorry to hear it Chris. It took me many years to finally find good mechanics.

Too many sad stories like yours to recount them all. It really is quite amazing.

Last edited by CBR; 05-14-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Registered

you have my sympathy there is another thread going about this same subject, As an owner of a marine service company I am 100% with you My number two rule is you get it back as clean if not cleaner then when we got it, I dont care if your boat is worth 3000.00 or 300,000.00 I will fire some one for a foot print or a greasy hand print period no questions asked, if the shop cant respect the boat that means they DONT RESPECT THERE WORK..... and these people give us all a bad name

will your boat be done on time...... we try our best
will your boat be done as per estimate.....we try our best
will your boat be done correctly.........yes
will your boat be clean .......yes

anyone that cant say the above should not be in this business...

I wont guarantee an estimate ..sorry
I wont guarantee a due date ..sorry
I will guarantee its done right!!!!
I will guarantee it will be clean !!!!!

boats are not cars there are too many hidden things that can come up but most in this industry try to take everything into accont when writing an estimate but there is always the unknown, thats why Id rather write a high estimite then a low one then if all goes as planned the bill will be less but I wont do half a job just to cut costs Id rather turn the job down and let someone else do half a job

(These are just my opinions)

I belive in taking the time to do it right !!!!!!!

if anyone says differnt speak up !!!!!!

oh number three rule.....The boss is always right !!!!

number four rule.... When the boss is wrong refer to rule number three

Last edited by GOODT; 05-13-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
you have my sympathy there is another thread going about this same subject, As an owner of a marine service company I am 100% with you My number two rule is you get it back as clean if not cleaner then when we got it, I dont care if your boat is worth 3000.00 or 300,000.00 I will fire some one for a foot print or a greasy hand print period no questions asked, if the shop cant respect the boat that means they DONT RESPECT THERE WORK..... and these people give us all a bad name

will your boat be done on time...... we try our best
will your boat be done as per estimate.....we try our best
will your boat be done correctly.........yes
will your boat be clean .......yes

anyone that cant say the above should not be in this business...

I wont guarantee an estimate ..sorry
I wont guarantee a due date ..sorry
I will guarantee its done right!!!!
I will guarantee it will be clean !!!!!

boats are not cars there are too many hidden things that can come up but most in this industry try to take everything into accont when writing an estimate but there is always the unknown, thats why Id rather write a high estimite then a low one then if all goes as planned the bill will be less but I wont do half a job just to cut costs Id rather turn the job down and let someone else do half a job

(These are just my opinions)

I belive in taking the time to do it right !!!!!!!

if anyone says differnt speak up !!!!!!

oh number three rule.....The boss is always right !!!!

number four rule.... When the boss is wrong refer to rule number three

Nice attitude,,, a few places I know should follow your lead..

CBR, I know what you mean, There arent very many, in fact I cant think of one marina in our immediate area I would trust to work on my boat, thats why my jet-ski's have been to MD, the boat to PA and a couple other places... we have driven hundreds of miles paid a small fortune in gas and tolls to have our boat " professionally " serviced.

Last edited by Chris288; 05-13-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:13 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Yeah, I have paid to trailer my boat to Florida for winter and back every year, because I have learned not to trust anybody when it comes to "it will be dewinterized by May 1st". Try mid to late June usually.

How pathetic is that?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

The marine industry unfortunately doesn't have an exclusive on poor service and broken promises........right next to it is the home improvement business !!
Old 05-14-2006, 07:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I use Champion Marine here in MD, owned and run by Barry Champion, I was refered to him by a friend /customer. When I took him my Donzi, he went through the whole boat and told me what it needed to be "right", did it with no problems. Same thing with my 311, he found some things that the previous owner hadn't done correctly, made a list and made it perfect, never an ounce of trouble from it. for my Tiger, he has been great to work with, when I needed my motors out to take to JC, I discussed it with him, made an appointment, I dropped the boat off, got a call 6 hours later, motors were out, boat was washed, prepped and shrinkwrapped for the MD winter, pulled the wrap off last week, the boat interior was spotless, bildge was clean ready for the motors to come back.

Last year when I took it to him for drive oil change, I told he and his main employee to schedule a short day, when the fluids were done, we dropped it and went out, I took them to eat and had a great day shootin around the bay. I have never tried to beat him up on price as I know that he looks after my boat as his own.

I also remember the sign someone posted about " dont stand in a 200K boat and complain about a 200 dollar part"
Old 05-14-2006, 07:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
dont stand in a 200K boat and complain about a 200 dollar part"
What about sitting? Can a guy sit in a 200K boat and complain?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:10 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

" home improvement business"

Yep, you are correct. My favorite story:

After getting several estimates to regrout my windows and paint the frames, I went with the lowest estimate. Big mistake!

The guys show up and unload the truck with their work gear. One guy walks around and says "oh, I notice you have aluminum storm windows over the wood windows, that adds $1,500 to the job." Oh, like the windows were not there when you made the estimate?

Anyway, because I was very busy and did not want to fart around with estimates and wait another month, I said fine, go ahead.

Then the guy comes back and says "oh, do you mind if we paint your windows shut, it is such a pain to ensure the paint does not stick and we rather just paint them shut."

I told him to stop his crew immediately, pick up his stuff, put it back in the truck and get the Hell off my yard NOW!

I did the job myself, took two summers of hard work on and off, but it was done right.

Most of us boaters would rather be boating, not fixing the boat. Hence, we have no choice but to use mechanics while we are at work. Fortunately I now have found a few marinas with good mechanics. That is the key of where to put the boat, NOT where the amenities are best.

Last edited by CBR; 05-14-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noone works on my stuff

Quick Reply: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.