Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ??? >

Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Notices

Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Old 05-14-2006, 07:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
What about sitting? Can a guy sit in a 200K boat and complain?

ummm nope
Old 05-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Chris, unfortuanly this is true in the marine business. I and a few others right here on OSO had the same problem with service with the local Tampa Concept dealer time and time again. With my brand spanking new 36 Concept I tried to be nice to get things fixed properly and I tried to show some I mean business atitude, neither angle worked because they just do not care!!!

However, not all marine business' are like this. For parts you should try Fred @ Trick Marine. They are honest, great prices and promt service.Throttle Up Props in St. Pete are also very customer friendly too. My Fountain dealer in St. Petersburgh is not like my local Concept dealer at all. They are responsive to service needs and clean up after themselves and do not break or lose parts of your boat while it is in for service. They either take off their shoes or wear cloth booties while on your boat. They do not give out, "oh we are racing this weekend and can't fix your Concept for 2 weeks" excuses either! Also I have found my local marina Lands End in Apollo Beach, FL has an excellent service staff and ultimatly I had all the service work done there on my Concept.

I can feel your frustration because I have been there myself a few times and unfortuantly this is the norm of the marine industry.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that Chris, unfortunately the whole industry could take some lessons from other luxury item retailers and service professionals.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

there are not but 3 people that work on my boat . i here in grifton nc and one in oshgosh wi . g force tec is 1 aromarine is 2. and me and marc simpsom. aromarine products takes a 50 hp merc, put's it in the milling mechine and cuts the water jacket out of it . and then uses it to power his airplane .
Old 05-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I use Champion Marine here in MD, owned and run by Barry Champion

I know Barry and have worked quite a bit with him in the past, very nice guy very professional and knowledgeable
Old 06-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Registered

Ding Ding Ding,, Round 3, After 4 trips 2 hours each way, I finally got the boat back, 2 hours cleaning the greasy nasty upholstery for 5 minutes on the water and I have a steering issue. Pop the hatch to see the mercathode wire dangling and a nut in my bilge, the Merchathode wasn't even hooked up correctly ( one of the major reasons it was there for in the first place )and the power steering fluid was over-heated again.

Ding Ding round 4.. Yet another trip to the dealer. they have the boat for a week and a half ( missed Memorial day weekend ) They replace the steering pump, ram and valve, go back to pick her up, and TADA ,,, yet another gouge in my paint, grease from bow to stern and absolutely beyond FILTHY.. Talk about total dis-regard for peoples property.... dont make a scene and just take her home, spent 2 hours cleaning it last night to find nicks and scratches all over the upholstery and bolsters, looks like somebody spend a nice memorial day weekend on my boat,, and it wasn't me..

I just cant believe the filth, greasy finger prints, upholstery scratches, and paint scratches my boat came back with...

About the only good thing I can say about this marina is the fact that they worked very closely with Merc. to solve my problems and to get just about everything done through warranty, big thumbs up for that,,, but the damage to my boat just pisses me off beyond belief,, I cant believe people opperate like this,,, AGAIN, take some time cleaning up after yourself and give people their property back the way it was given to you...

So after 40 something hours on the road, 100's of $$$ in gas and tolls, it seems ,,, knock on wood, KNOCK KNOCK that it may be finally done,,, keeping my fingers crossed its done right... now to get those paint scrapes fixed..

Last edited by Chris288; 06-06-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Registered

Well,, after seeing the " Chief " thread, I see its not just the little guys,,, 1/2 million doller boats do get the same treatment...
Old 06-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris288
Well,, after seeing the " Chief " thread, I see its not just the little guys,,, 1/2 million doller boats do get the same treatment...
Do you want to spill the beans and let us know who it is??
Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Do you want to spill the beans and let us know who it is??
I think you should!!!

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It IS bad accross the board There are some good shops, but not many. It always amazed me (pisses me off too) how you can bring a clean boat into a shop and get it back dirty and not fixed right more than half the time--that is pathetic.

Last year I was having the HP500's rebuilt in my PP. The mechanic (Greg Showmaker) didn't have room for my boat and took it home to his home for a few days. When I found out, went over to his home, I saw he parked the boat literally right under a tree!!! The tree was dropping a reddish like leaf that actually stained my deck. I was so pissed!!

Greg Shoemaker writes for HotBoat magazine, has been in business for over 25 yrs--you would think he knew better.

Quick Reply: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.