Like Tree0Likes

Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Old 06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION
Default Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

I'll tell you this,, The dealer I bought the boat from was a CROOK with a capital C,,, I wasnt the only one with bad dealings from them, several people have contacted me and told similar horror stories, they have since lost the Sunsation line, deseverdly so.... Had I not been in direct contact with Sunsation throughout the build process my boat would have been totally screwed up.. Big thumbs up to Sunsation and their customer service.

The second dealer who performed the original warranty work, seemed like good descent people, but just didn't get the job done, half the items on the list weren't addressed and the other half were done half-assed, they told me to bring it 6 hours back and they would fix it, I told them it would come back over the winter, they made a stink about how much it cost them to fix the items now because they were out of warranty, I told them that had they fixed it right the first time it wouldnt have cost them anything.

Now the third marina came higly reccomended, like I said, they did a great job working with Merc's. warranty department getting things covered and Merc. too was great about covering the claim. BUT, as far as the work that was performed, the grease, mud, filth, damage to my upholstery, chips and scuffs in the paint,,, not once but twice, thats another story...

As far as outting the dealers,,,, From this thread this seems to be pretty common place, and unless i'm willing to drive to MD to have quality service performed by some shops that have responded on this thread, I think I'll just keep my mouth shut...
Old 06-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2002 Outer Limits 51'
Default Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris288
90.00 an hour labor and my boat comes back missing parts, trim and power steering fluid leaking in the engine compartment, plug missing, 10 gallons of water in my bilge like it was left out in the rain, greasy, bloody, filthy, scratched paint, bumper rub spot in my paint where the boat sat tied to a dock all night, lines, bumpers all over the place, foot prints on my sun pad. I have never stepped foot in any of my boats with shoes on, nevermind leave footprints on my sun pad. silicone squeezed out and not even bother to wipe it up. I just dont understand the marine service industry, this is not the first time. Are my expectations just too high or are others seeing this kind of " quality " service ?? I hope the quality of the work I can't see is better than the stuff I can..

The last place it was at, I typed up and printed out an itemized list of things that needed to be addressed, under warranty, they fixed only about half of them and what they did do I would have been better off doing myself. I just dont get it,, they charge mucho bucks and do crap work.. One of the places came highly reccomended, if this is quality service, I'd hate to see poor service..

If I had a 900,000 cig or something would my boat have come back washed, waxed, and detailed ?? just curious...

Your expectations are way to high. I've had similar problems and no it wouldn't come back washed,waxed and detailed. Mine spent six months outside over the winter at OL when i got it back it looked like it.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: little cat...BIG MOTOR

Too bad for you guys Double R Performance is up here. Raymond and his crew treat you like friends and friends don't wreck friends boats.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION

Sakoutis,,, I said before, I certainly didn't expect my boat to come back detailed without paying for it,, cleaned up after they made a huge mess would have been nice, being careful with it and not putting scrapes and scratches in the paint and upholstery... I was curious about the bigger more expensive boats, if they were treated any better, from your post and others, it would appear they aren't...

However, should anything major arrise, I just may give GoodT a shot and take the boat to MD, we have family there anyway...
Old 06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2002 Outer Limits 51'

I would have been happy with a cover for the trip to Jersey.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2004 TS Top Gun

There is not enough competition when it comes to the high performance marine industry. With competition you get choice and with choice you get service.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (2)

Very sorry to hear about all you have gone threw with your boat Chris. As for Joe and myself and many other tech's I am sure who have been around the industry a while, I think it is not fair for some of you to say all shops or mechanics are the same. We have the same outlook as Joe does, get it, fix it, clean it give it back and hope the hell you can keep a happy customer. The marine indusrty is very small. Some people have a problem in California and everyone on Florida knows or has heard of it! Customer service is what it is all about, have the know how to fix it and get it back in a resonable time. Thats what we shoot for no matter if you own a Proline, Donzi, Cigarette, whatever! It shouldn't matter. NO, your expectations are not to high. You just need to find the right shop and technician to take it to.

John S.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW

Your not the only one who has been down this road.I took my Baja 272 back to the dealer where I bought it when it was 2 months old w/40 hours on it (it was still stock then) because of numerous problems,mainly it burned oil from one cylinder soo bad it almost fouled plug. They cobbled the repairs on the small items(cd player skipped even in no wake zones because the hole it was mounted in the helm was too big and never had a rear support bracket,finally fell right into the helm in 2 footers,instead of putting a rear bracket on they caulked it back in,you could make it skip by slapping the dash)(vent cowl fell off boat on back,instead of re-glassing it,you guessed it,more caulk). But biggest nightmare was they did a leakdown on the motor,# 5 cyl was at 40plus %,,first they tried to blame it on me running it too hard,problem was boat had 9 hours of "test drives" on it when I bought it and I babied it until 20 hours,it was already using a ton of oil by then. They called and said merc required them to pull head off motor and take a look before pulling motor. I was real leary but it was the only way to get it warrantied. They did rxr the head then pissed around for 3 months between them and merc. My patience grew very thin between numerous phone calls to them and Merc,Merc rep wouldn't even tell me what their proposed repair was,even got upset that they gave me his phone number,told me he wasn't "allowed" to fill me in on his inspection report. Service manager finally told me they were going to rxr motor,pull pan,pack rags around crankshaft and other cylinders and hone the one offending cyl without dissassembling rest of motor,I said no way in hell,this ain't a used car going to the auction!A few days later as it was getting colder outside and my boat was sitting in there parking lot with mooring cover on it in 35 degree weather I called them and warned them of big cold front coming in for the weekend,told them they better do something,either put it inside or winterize it half ripped apart. Drove up there with work truck monday morn,was sitting in same spot with ice hanging from drive,I pulled cover off it,hoses were frozen ,greasy footprints all over boat,oil everywhere,cyl head laying on floor on cardboard but oil had ran off all over fibreglass,luckily they had at least unsnapped the cockpit carpet and rolled it back,of course with greasy hands.Greasy footprints on brand new back seat,hand prints everywhere,hose "burns" on fibreglass around side of boat,tools laying on vinyl upholsturery, I was FURIOUS, got in a screaming match with shop manager who was too "busy" to come out and even look at boat with me,(must have been too cold),actually they were busy trying to hurry up and winterize OTHER boats.Told him I was coming back with my truck to get boat,asked to see the general manager or owner,told me they could only be seen by appt,told him they better make an appt for their meeting with my lawyer.Drove back to work,punched out,came back with my truck and a camera,lo and behold,they had my boat inside and were thawing it out. I think I had my truck on the speed limiter all the way there,good thing I lived 25 miles out of the way between there and where I worked because I was homicidal and thought about stopping for my pistol. I threw their tools on the floor off the boat,gathered up my parts while they stood there looking dumbfounded,told them to open the motherf''ng door,hooked my truck to the boat and drove away.I never stepped foot into BAY HARBOR MARINA,BAY CITY MICHIGAN ever again. I wrote a letter to Mercruiser and Baja detailing their "excellent" service ,never heard back from them either. As far as I figure,you can't wipe your ass with a merc warranty, and I do the majority of my own work now,Bay Harbor is no longer a dealer for ANY brand of boat,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 06-07-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
Very sorry to hear about all you have gone threw with your boat Chris. As for Joe and myself and many other tech's I am sure who have been around the industry a while, I think it is not fair for some of you to say all shops or mechanics are the same. We have the same outlook as Joe does, get it, fix it, clean it give it back and hope the hell you can keep a happy customer. The marine indusrty is very small. Some people have a problem in California and everyone on Florida knows or has heard of it! Customer service is what it is all about, have the know how to fix it and get it back in a resonable time. Thats what we shoot for no matter if you own a Proline, Donzi, Cigarette, whatever! It shouldn't matter. NO, your expectations are not to high. You just need to find the right shop and technician to take it to.

John S.

This is so true.... I have never worked with john but have seen his work and we walk in the same circles and have never heard a complaint about him or his shops work....

the best advice I can give anyone is dont just take your boat to any shop shop around ask for references call them if your going to trust your boat to someone check them out I dont care if its a 1000.00 boat or a 300,000.00 boat it not just the boat you are trusting them with its literally your life also

if you are taking it to a larger shop that has a service writer service manager ask to talk to the tech that works on your boat alot of times a shop has one or two cert techs and 10 apprentices that only have a year or two exp if you cant talk to the tech and be sure he is the one doing the work take it somewhere else

if your not comfortable in any way find another shop
Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

My Boats: Sonic 30ss

Sad but funny story, arctic friends. Would have been good on film, you tossing the tools out. <gg> I yanked my boat out of a "boat yard" also, about the same kind of deal. It was a recommended place by a local power squadron guy, sadly, they knew NOTHING about high performance boats, only sailboats. I took ownership of the Sonic at that location. Dumb!

They managed to crack the little rear hulls on my sonic within fifteen minutes of me taking possession of it, by dropping the entire rear weight of the boat onto jack stands under the mini hulls!!!! I questioned the intelligence of doing this, they assured me it was no problem. Twenty mintues later they split open. Of course they claimed the cracks were always there.

They never did any work for a month, so I hired a truck to come and rip it out of there, with no clue of where to take it. I was nearly Homicidal also, the nice boat hauler phoned around and found an excellent fiberglass guy to take the boat too, who fixed the boat, and in turn hooked me up with other quality tradesmen/mechanics. References from people who are good at what they do are everything in the marine business.

Hope Chris has better luck in the future, seems we all go through this crap as new boat owners. It takes a while to find good mechanics. Why not take it to JC and crew over on Long Island?

Last edited by CBR; 06-07-2006 at 01:34 AM.