Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Reg. a coast guard docummented boat in N.Y. ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/130200-reg-coast-guard-docummented-boat-n-y.html)

26sonic 05-15-2006 12:37 PM

Reg. a coast guard docummented boat in N.Y. ?

I live in N.Y. and purchased a boat from someone also in N.Y. and the boat is coast guard documented. got my financing through New Coast Financial. N.Y. is a non title holding state. was told that it takes 4-6 weeks to get coast guard documentation transfered over to me and have temporary documents till then.What do I need to reg. this boat in N.y.?

drypipetiger 05-15-2006 12:49 PM

Re: Reg. a coast guard docummented boat in N.Y. ?

Originally Posted by 26sonic
N.Y. is a non title holding state.

Since when?

ActiveFun 05-15-2006 12:55 PM

NY is a title holding state. I used New Coast and recieved my COD in about 4 weeks. It went very smooth. I actually just got back from DMV and registered the boat.

carrboy 05-15-2006 01:50 PM

I just went through this and can help you out...BUT I WON'T!!! You were so appreciative I helped you out last time(sonic thread-part for trim/drive indicator)I'll let you figure it out on your own :evilb:

dtsquest 05-15-2006 03:05 PM

NY is a title holding state. All I did was reuse the Hull ID and transferred the existing registration to me and titled it in my name. Pay the sales tax and reg fees and away you go.

26sonic 05-15-2006 04:35 PM

active fun did you have to wait to get the cod before you could register the boat ? did you get the title from regions bank that new coast uses?sorry carrboy if I hurt your feelings, I appreciated the dollar marine phone # tip but just wanted others to know that you can buy the lense seperate from the other parts.

otis311 05-15-2006 06:29 PM

So Tony, what did you buy ?? You and Jill going to go around in seperate boats now, or is this one going to stay tied up also ??

Bring the new ride up to our Poker Run on Lake George this weekend. We havent seen you in a few years !!

Team V 05-15-2006 07:34 PM

It's one or the other.... but you can't have both. You still have to register your boat... but the Coast Guard Document IS your title.

Team V 05-15-2006 07:55 PM

To more accurately answer your question...... you can't register the boat until you get back your "official" Coast Guard Document. Then you pay the sales tax, etc... and get your Reg. sticker, but no title, and no NY reg #. Document agent can give you a "running letter" in the meantime you can use as a temporary registration.... and it will take at least 6 weeks if not longer.

bryanspeedracer 05-15-2006 09:18 PM

Before a certain year (1987?) N.Y. will give you a transferable reg. (No title). After an non-transferable reg and a title in the mail.
Good luck, nothing to it.

Bryan