Notices

New Noise Law & Mufflers

Old 05-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy New Noise Law & Mufflers

I was talking with a Kent County Marine Patrol Sheriff, and he said there was new legislation being introduced this year which would make Michigan's watercraft noise laws match up with the manufacturers and Ohio's. When I read Ohio law it said that no boats were allowed without permanent mufflers and that no bypasses were allowed. He also said the maximum noise level from any "shore or stationary object", (such as an anchored boat) was 75 decibels. There were other maximum noise levels, but this "shore or stationary object" one got me.
When I questioned him about the inability to accurately measure a boats decibel's he told me about the tests being run on the new noise gun in the attrached links. He said the new legislation would make it legal to use this gun and that the Lake Associations in Michigan were helping to finance their development and purchase. We already have a max 55mph speed limit on all inland lakes and the 3 feet behind and 3 feet up noise test. Now this new "Noise Gun" where they will be on shore or in a anchored boat!!!!
I am not sure that I did the links properly, first time, you may have to cut and paste them.
Ohio guys, do they enforce the no switchable exhaust and permanent muffler rules? All three of my bigger boats have switchable exhaust. What permanent muffler would pass all of these requirements? Any?

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/r...boat_noise.asp

http://www.egr.msu.edu/~radcliff/BoatNoise/

Last edited by Ratickle; 05-15-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Noise Law & Mufflers

I wonder if they're going to try to enforce the limits on the Great Lakes or is it just on the little inland lakes. My Excalibur has mufflers but my Scarab doesn't have anything. But I boat on the Detroit River/Lake Erie so maybe they won't bother us on the big water. I can see how it would be a problem for home owners one inland lakes.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:30 AM
Registered

The law in Michigan applies up to 3 miles off shore but they very rarely enforce it. I don't know how much of the articles attached in the links you read, but this gun works out to over 1000 feet with accuracy within plus or minus 3 decibels. As soon as approved, they will no longer need to be at the 25 meter distance for testing or the 1 meter behind at idle.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

So, has it changed from 90 decibles to 75 decibles now?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Registered

The law has not changed in Michigan. At one time switchable exhaust was illegal but not now. The 90 db is the normal acceptable limit. St. Clair county on has 2 meters and they are not usually used unless someone complains. There is a law on the book already that states you must have mufflers but again is not enforced.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

There is not boat made that will pass 75 db 3' back and 3' up. Even trolling motor outboards are 80+ db. My 2.5's Mercs are 96 db with the exhaust in the water. My I/O cat is 110 db
Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A noisy office of low traffic street is btwn 70 and 80 DB so I think that they are saying if your house makes more then the 75 db constantly then they want it fixed. Things like AC condensors and so on can make some noise. As for your boat that is not a staionary object, wll mine is but....

The new gun that they are talking about scares me but some how it has to get a read off you for distace but that would not be so hard and I am sure that they are going to get that figured out.

Jon
Old 05-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were pulled over by ODNR late last season with a reading of 92. They indicated 90 is the limit. We were let go with a warning but I believe 90 is the limit in Ohio.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered

I forgot to mention the speed limit on the great lakes ( in Michigan) is 55 mph if you are less than 1 mile from shore. something I am sure I have never broken
Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Registered

The new "Gun" is a radar gun which measures distance, not speed, measures ambient noise, measures the noise of the vehicle it is tracking with the distace finder, and calculates the noise the vehicle is producing. The current standards vs the new proposed J34 standards are below.

Comparison of Current Standards
Current MI Statute – Idle (J2005, 90 dB @ 3ft)
(J34, 70 dB @ 25m)
Full Power (Coast Guard, 115 dB )
(J34, 86 dB @ 25m)

The reason they could not enforce J34 was the rule of 25 meters. With the new legislation, if passed, they would make the "Gun" legal and it would be like when radar was first used for car speed. Before they had to be within a certain distance and pace you, then radar and they could track you anywhere.

Quick Reply: New Noise Law & Mufflers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.