Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Peekskill NY boating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/130282-peekskill-ny-boating.html)

Underdog88 05-16-2006 01:06 PM

Peekskill NY boating

I have to deliver a motorcycle to NY sometime in the next month. Looks like it's just north of NYC.

Thinking if I have to drive 500+ miles to the east coast I may just drag the boat along to make the trip worthwhile.

How is boating on the Hudson river? What's a good area around there? I see the big Poker Run in NYC mid month but the 700 dollar entry fee is kind of discouraging for me. Looks like fun though.

Any suggestions? I did this for our Lake Norman trip and got LOTS of help. Thought I'd try it again.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Chris288 05-16-2006 01:48 PM

Re: Peekskill NY boating

The poker run weekend would be a good time to be on the river, even if you dont want to participate in the Poker run, it's still fun to run down to liberty landing marina to check out all the hardware and then run up to the Tappan Zee bridge before the start and watch all the boats come by. You can launch from Peekskill, run south to the harlem river take the scenic tour past yankee stadium out the east river and across to the statue of liberty. or run out to the L.I. sound. Depending on how far you want to go, you could launch from Peekskill and head North up to West Point and further on to the Newburgh water-front for some real nice dining. lots of options, depends on what your looking for..

Underdog88 05-16-2006 02:09 PM

Thanks for the good info!
We aren't real crazy about the big citys... would be a sight to see from the water tho.
We kinda like little waterfront bars with live music and docks. Running north may be more our country a$$ speed :D

Are there many no wake zones or can you run fast on the river?

Chris288 05-16-2006 02:56 PM

There aren't any no wake zones,, just within 100 feet of shore.

Newburgh has about the best night life on the river. you have Gully's restaurant and bar, w/ live bands, along with several really nice restaurants, bars and clubs along the water front. It's approx. 15 miles North of peekskill launch, docking would be at Gully's, Front St, or Torches Marina. Gully's and Torches do not charge, Front St. does.

If there is room it's best to park on the north side of gully's, just yell accross to us when you get there.. :D Then you can walk along the water-front to the bars and clubs.

Tantrum 05-16-2006 03:09 PM

Chris covered it pretty good.
There are no speed restrictions on the river. Im going to guestimate that Newburgh is about 60 miles south of Newburgh so when your country azz comes over you have to go both places. Not many get to see NYC from the water and if your not into big city's than its really a fun way to see it :drink:
There are about 10 active OSO members that regularly run the river in that area so make sure you give a heads up when your coming out.
NYC Poker Run is one of the biggest in the country. There is an ongoing battle for the king of the Hudson so if you want to spectate, there are some serious fast boats balz out. Highly recommend you try to schedule your delivery during the run.
Let us know
:drink: :drink:

J-Bonz 05-16-2006 03:14 PM

Do It!!!!!, Its gotta be great. The city is a site to see by water.
Next year I will be out there.
Jr.

Chris288 05-16-2006 03:37 PM

By boat:

Peekskill, South to Manhattan = approx. 35 miles.

Peekskill, North to Newburgh = approx. 15 miles.

eMotiondriver 05-16-2006 04:56 PM

I deliver chemicals to a company in the Peekskills, all I have to say about that part of New York is, the most beautiful river front I've ever seen. :D

ReggieRaft 05-16-2006 05:01 PM

I keep my boat in Haverstraw Marina and know the river well. Be sure to post when you are going to be in the area. One if not all of us will be glad to guide you on the river.Try to plan a weekend can't do it in a day.

Underdog88 05-16-2006 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info guys!
Ya gotta love this place... :drink: