Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advice on loading boat in windy weather (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/130423-advice-loading-boat-windy-weather.html)

fountain1998 05-17-2006 10:18 PM

Advice on loading boat in windy weather

I am having some problems loading my boat in windy weather. What tips can you give me to do it right the first time. I went from a 21' Mastercraft tournament ski boat 13 years ago to a 27' fountain this year. The fountain isn't the sports car my Mastercraft was. Handling isn't close to the mastercraft. I need some good advice. Thanks

chad1 05-17-2006 11:02 PM

Re: Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Leave The Trailer A Little More Shallow, Always Stay In Foward Gear , Carry A Little More Speed..
Shallow Meaning Enough Not To Bang The Bow Stop.
Stab It

jeff32 05-17-2006 11:03 PM

Back up your trailer so there is less water on the trailer than usual.This way as soon you are on the trailer the back end of the boat won't go from side to side as easily. Once you are pretty much in place on the trailer, you can always back up a little bit (the trailer not the boat) so it becomes easier to move it forward to its good position up front... That's the only way I found it could help me when in your kind of trouble... Hope it helps!

good2go38 05-18-2006 12:23 AM

Believe it or not asking for help is a good way to insure you load the boat safely and keep all the paint and fiberglass in the places you want it. When the wind is blowing and/or the current is running strong even the best have problems. Take your time, don't approach anything faster than you want to hit it. I wish someone would have told me this before my first fiberglass repair.
Get familiar with your boat. Take it to the ramp when there is nobody there. Load the boat 10 times with no audience. You will be surprised how much this helps. Good Luck

GLH 05-18-2006 04:32 AM

practice

GLH 05-18-2006 04:34 AM

....and approach things as fast as you want to hit'em.

DonziDog 05-18-2006 06:23 AM

Keep factory gelcoat handy.

MarkSmith 05-18-2006 06:53 AM

Back the trailer farther in the water than normal to get all of the bunks wet. Then pull the trailer out of the water a little further than normal so that bunks are exposed more. Aim the tip of the boat slightly more toward the wind and give a little more gas than normal then put into neutral. Once the boat and trailer make contact, I would wench the boat the rest of the way.

Jassman 05-18-2006 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
Back the trailer farther in the water than normal to get all of the bunks wet. Then pull the trailer out of the water a little further than normal so that bunks are exposed more. Aim the tip of the boat slightly more toward the wind and give a little more gas than normal then put into neutral. Once the boat and trailer make contact, I would wench the boat the rest of the way.

Exactly, plus with the bunks wet it should slide on a little easier. Im no pro but it works for me, Im not into driving right up, and how described above it would be impossible. I will get it as far as I can, hook the strap on, crank it somewhat but not to much to put undo stress on the crank system, back the truck up another 2 or so feet making sure boat is parallel with trailer fenders, and repeat until boat hits the stop. Good luck. Jeff

fountain1998 05-18-2006 08:19 AM

All of you have great ideas. Thank you. On and off ten times in a row would probably build confidence, hopefully, not pad the gelcoat repair guy's pocket book! I like the idea of a little more speed. This seems to keep the boat in more of a straight line. I was told to keep the back bunks about 10 inches out of the water. Maybe a little more out of the water on a windy day? This will act more of a brake when approaching at a greater speed. Another good statement is practice when no one is there. Where do you guys have your drives at? I usually put in at PB ramp at Osage Beach (LOTO). I noticed better control with drive in all the way. It should be deep enough for this shouldn't it? Do any of you use the guide posts? These look like they would help. If you do, which brand do you recommend? Thanks for your procedures. I welcome more.

Single With Twins 05-18-2006 09:53 AM

GO AT IT ON PLAIN!!!!!! Problem Solved! :evilb:

Seriosly above suggestions are right but one important one is to leave the boat in forward so you can crank it up easier and use the drive to straighten the boat out if needed.

Take care;

Jay

BajaRunner 05-18-2006 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman
Exactly, plus with the bunks wet it should slide on a little easier. Im no pro but it works for me, Im not into driving right up, and how described above it would be impossible. I will get it as far as I can, hook the strap on, crank it somewhat but not to much to put undo stress on the crank system, back the truck up another 2 or so feet making sure boat is parallel with trailer fenders, and repeat until boat hits the stop. Good luck. Jeff

thats how i do it. :cool:

UNSANE 05-18-2006 10:39 AM

I have a 29 Fountain that I routinely load by myself on a crappy trailer. Windy conditions can be a pain. I have the little guide ons on the trailer as well. If it's a crosswind I will try to dock the boat on the windward side of the dock. When I back the trailer down, I'll get it pretty close to the side of the dock. I too back the trailer down to get the bunks wet and pull up. I don't have forward bunks, just that damn PVC 'V' bar up on the front of my trailer. Because of conditions I sometimes have to come into the trailer a little cockeyed becasuse I have to point the boat's nose a little to the port or starboard in order to go straight. I take it slow here, once inside and past the guide ons, I'll have to reverse for a quick second with the wheel cranked over to bring the nose straight, once it comes straight, I forward and when I feel it "lock in", power it up. Leaving the boat in gear, I get up to the nose, reach over and put the strap on and winch the last inch or 2 tight. Shut off engine/drive up and make sure I don't forget the safety chain before I pull out. Having the right trailer helps as well. But if you don't have guide ons, get them. Good luck. PS: I have a LH rotating prop so my idle speed manuvering is backwards from a RH prop. So keep that in mind that your boat will turn one way quicker than the other.

Semper Fi 05-18-2006 10:40 AM

You can have a friend hold a line (on the front bowcleat) to "guide" the boat on the trailer if needed.

Wobble 05-18-2006 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I usually end up loading my 29' Stryker on my own after dropping off the wife and kids. If there is a strong cross wind at the ramp it is very hard to do with a single.

I am not about to risk my blue printed hull by getting cross ways on the trailer etc.

I bought two pair of these from boat US (about 70 bucks a pair)

Now I can load in any weather. They are plastic and flex easily, also look under the bow, there is a foot long carpeted V that guides the boat up to the bow attachment.

I know it ain't pretty, but they can be removed easily if needed. I'll take ugly and straight on the trailer over some of the damage I have witnessed at the ramp when a windy front blows in.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...1169&fcat=2AN1

Strip Poker 388 05-18-2006 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
....and approach things as fast as you want to hit'em.

I usally go to slow and sometimes the wind gets me but I dont ram anything :D

tomtbone1993 05-18-2006 12:42 PM

be the ball...............nananannanana.................. ..nananananananana :D

Sydwayz 05-18-2006 12:44 PM

Yep, add the poles. Any trailer or boat place should sell them or should be able to get them.

GLH 05-18-2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Yep, add the poles. Any trailer or boat place should sell them or should be able to get them.

I guess some guys like poles....

To poodleish for me.

Airpacker 05-18-2006 03:58 PM

Its easy, drive a cat. They self center every time :)

Mikey Likes It 05-18-2006 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by fountain1998
I usually put in at PB ramp at Osage Beach (LOTO). I noticed better control with drive in all the way. It should be deep enough for this shouldn't it?

Hey are you going to be at LOTO Memorial Day?

JB4Boyne 05-18-2006 06:06 PM

I just pull up to the dock, tie 2 lines from the boat to the dock, run up and get the truck and trailer and just back it under the boat, hook the cable on the front tighten it down and go back and untie the lines and just pull out. You can do it all by your self no matter how windy it is and you never get your feet wet.

But that is up here in the north where most all of the ramps have docks running down them into the water.
I can't figure out how come in the south they don't have docks. It makes it so easy and faster.

Wobble 05-18-2006 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne

But that is up here in the north where most all of the ramps have docks running down them into the water.
I can't figure out how come in the south they don't have docks. It makes it so easy and faster.

It's much better entertainment without them :drink:

Sydwayz 05-18-2006 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
I guess some guys like poles....

To poodleish for me.

I had to have them on my last POS Rocket trailer. It was hard to hit a land a floating boat on a floating trailer. Eff'in POS.

cgarrett 05-19-2006 04:12 PM

My new to me trailer has poles and I do not like them.

On my first load of the season I see that they rub down the side of the boat when loading.

Another thing I did not like is that I can usually back the trailer down the ramp close enough to the dock to load a boat by myself but with the poles it would be impossible to put them just right between the boat with the dock lines tied.

I had to put the trailer beside the boat and then get on the boat and back it up past the poles and drive it on the trailer.

We all have different situations with ramps and docks but for me I just do not care for the poles.

Cordell

sakoutis3 05-19-2006 04:17 PM

By me a the Highlands Marina they have the peanut gallery where everybody sits for the entertainment at the ramp. And let me tell you it can be funny at times.Last year some dude sank on aproach to the ramp he hit something while o plane and didn't know it. Some as he slowed down the boat went to the bottom.

DayTripper 05-19-2006 04:35 PM

I can go ask my old lady if you want me to...... she loads and unloads the boat while I back the truck down.

We have a 27' Baja and she hits it dead nuts about 90% of the time. Have confidence going in and you'll be fine.

Wobble 05-19-2006 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by DayTripper
I can go ask my old lady if you want me to...... she loads and unloads the boat while I knock back a cold one

:evilb: :evilb: You are the man :D

Jassman 05-19-2006 05:17 PM

I just pull up to the dock, tie 2 lines from the boat to the dock, run up and get the truck and trailer and just back it under the boat, hook the cable on the front tighten it down and go back and untie the lines and just pull out. You can do it all by your self no matter how windy it is and you never get your feet wet.

Welcome to the South. :drink: You guys are on lakes, we are on Oceans, gulfs, 3-4' tide changes, totally different conditions, and then them welcomed hurricanes :rolleyes: taking everything out every few years and so on. Plus it's the South, slower paced and 10 years behind the times, but I like it that way, I can predict the future, cause Im originally a Yankee :D

mars 05-19-2006 09:28 PM

Just wondering, most of the boats have 8.5 foot beam and by adding guides-on poles you are ending at, at least 9 foot wide. Most of the states and here in Canada allow 8.5 foot wide to be in law regarding a truck or trailer width.
Anybody ever had an issue for being to wide

JB4Boyne 05-20-2006 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman
Welcome to the South. :drink: You guys are on lakes, we are on Oceans, gulfs, 3-4' tide changes, totally different conditions, and then them welcomed hurricanes :rolleyes: taking everything out every few years and so on. Plus it's the South, slower paced and 10 years behind the times, but I like it that way, I can predict the future, cause Im originally a Yankee :D

Well even on the small inland lakes in the south they don't use docks.
I think we have docks up here because the water is so frigged until Aug. :cool:
I'm curious though, how would you launch and retrieve your boat by yourself if you had to without a dock?

TEAMBAJA 05-20-2006 08:14 AM

Ive watched some of the fishermen down in Lake Cumberland in the wintertime. They just back the boat, have a rope tied to a rock as an anchor, and throw it on the ramp. The boat just sits there, and eventually sideways beating off the bottom of the ramp! :D

Harper220 05-20-2006 09:21 AM

Steer against the wind enough to where you're heading into center of trailer (it's a balancing act) and keep it in gear so the wind won't take the bow with it. With a little practice you'll get the hang of it. Just remember the boat does have reverse too in case your aim is off... :D

LostinBoston 05-20-2006 10:00 AM

if you can, tie the boat off to the side of the ramp, most ive seen have docks next to them. Also hold on to a rope tied tot he bow and stern of the boat to adjust if needed, then back the trailer down under it. Much easier then fighting a crosswind or tide.

Jassman 05-20-2006 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Well even on the small inland lakes in the south they don't use docks.
I think we have docks up here because the water is so frigged until Aug. :cool:
I'm curious though, how would you launch and retrieve your boat by yourself if you had to without a dock?

I did it all the time when I needed premium gas. No premium at the marinas here in MS. No more marinas period after Katrina :( . I have a boat launch on the other side of my boat house. Backed the trailer in the water, I have gunnite 14" walls on both sides so a little current or wind isnt to much of an issue. With the trailer bunks partialy wet, I drove on far enough. Turned boat off, climbed up the deck, pop up the 2 cleats at the very front of the bow, used cleats for leverage and proceeded to go down the crank assembly. Hooked it up and cranked as far as I could get it, backed the truck up a few feet, and kept doing this proceedure until boat was secure. Been doing it for years, so I guess Im use to it, the older I get though, the harder it gets . Jeff

I tried to downsize the boat launch with the gunnite walls, when Sandy gets home Ill have her do it.

JB4Boyne 05-20-2006 05:55 PM

I guess I still don't understand, You drive your truck, boat and trailer to the ramp, back it in, get the boat off the trailer. Now what do you do with the boat while you go park the truck? With no dock do you swim out to the boat?

And then when you are done and want to pull it out, do you swim in and go get the truck and swim back out and drive the boat on?
I'm not being a smart A$$, but I have seen boat ramps with no docks anywhere and could never figure out how they did it alone.

offshoredrillin 05-20-2006 07:33 PM

A good trick taught to me by my mechanic is to put Dawn detergent on your carpeted bunks. that way once the boat is on them and they start to dry, you wont get the spots from them on the gel, it also makes the boat slide on easier.

Son of a Gun 05-21-2006 07:41 AM

I watched GL do it like it was nothing in his Tiger. He just engaged and disengaged each motor as needed. Just taking your time to line up perfectly seems to be the best bet, don't rush it and come in too hot, that's not a pretty site.