Marine Battery - Which Brand to Choose

Notices

Marine Battery - Which Brand to Choose

Old 05-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Marine Battery - Which Brand to Choose

I thought they were made by Johnson Controls???

I just put mine back in the boat for the season and they showed 90% and held it with a load tester in test position for 10 Sec! I topped them off with a charger and I'm good to go! BTW this is their 5th season.

One thing that was not discussed is the fact that regular "Plate" style batteries with electrolyte sloshing around do not like the hard bouncing and abuse from big water and will or should not last like a spiral or gel type battery. But then again it's hard to argue the price difference but I'll stick with the maintenance free Optimas.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 AM
JTB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott
I thought they were made by Johnson Controls???

I just put mine back in the boat for the season and they showed 90% and held it with a load tester in test position for 10 Sec! I topped them off with a charger and I'm good to go! BTW this is their 5th season.

One thing that was not discussed is the fact that regular "Plate" style batteries with electrolyte sloshing around do not like the hard bouncing and abuse from big water and will or should not last like a spiral or gel type battery. But then again it's hard to argue the price difference but I'll stick with the maintenance free Optimas.
They are maufactured by Optima Batteries Inc out of Aruora Co. You are exactly right, even though alot of money goes into the reasearch in making lead acid style batteries more capable of holdng up to the rough atmosphere that marine life offers you still simply cannot beat the Optima. But as you know, price reflects that.....
Old 05-22-2006, 09:15 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we run optimas in our race cars and in my boat. Great batteries, they can be fast charged if you buy a smart charger with the Absorbed Glass Mat setting, they can be charged at up to 25amps with one.

Do it all the time between heat races.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many variables that effect a batteries performance and different type batteries will perform much differently based on the environment it resides in. I have purchased around 10000 batteries over the past 20 years in my job, and from the majority of the major companies mentioned in the above threads.

In my "opinion" DEKA (GELL style) makes one of the best batteries on the planet. This opinion is based on many engineering hours testing and the manufacturing methods East Penn Manufacturing (DEKA) uses in the constructing of their batteries.

If they (gell) are charged correctly they will last a very long time. If they are over charged their life will decrease up to 60%. This is a problem is a standard auto/marine charging system. Gell type batteries are also temperature sensitive and the float voltage should be regulated based on the battery temp. Again this is very difficult in a boat. I attached a chart showing float voltages as a reference.

Also gell style batteries work very well in deep cycle applications. Again as long as they are recharged correctly.

Gell type are best if you do not mind putting out the money up front and can properly maintain them. I use standard led acid batteries (Walmart) because they are cheep and last a long time when maintained.

I hope this wasn't to much information, just an opinion.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

im running 1100cca deka batteries huge diff over the walmart batts. they would turn over very slowly til i installed the deka's, huge diff in cca's and i paid 100 bucks each
Old 05-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered

Deka is what Skater used when they built my boat.
Deka Part # 24M7
875 cca @ 0 degrees F
1000 MCA @32 degrees F

I could not find another battery that compares
Old 05-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Charter Member#350
Charter Member

Odyssey batteries are smaller and have more output . Optimas were ok to me but not great.
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/
Old 05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both Trojan house batteries and Bass Pro(Made by Dekka) for starting batteries. The Bass Pro branded Dekka's are the best for the money spent in my opinion.

Also make sure your shore power charger is recomended for AGM if you go that route.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered

I use interstate, grp 24's and 27's awesome warranty and service from the folks at my local shop.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Walmart/Sams is EXIDE . try and find the distributor in your area and they will sell you direct cheaper than walmart and Sams,

Also ask about there blims/seconds . I bought the Blue top Exide gel cell for 50.00 each

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Marine Battery - Which Brand to Choose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.