Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Jones Beach Air Show and Fleet Week, anyone interested? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131070-jones-beach-air-show-fleet-week-anyone-interested.html)

Vinny P 05-25-2006 05:47 PM

Jones Beach Air Show and Fleet Week, anyone interested?

Memorial day weekend is finally here. Too bad the weather still sucks here. BUT, the forecast looks good for Sunday and Monday. Myself and a few friends ( about 5 boats ) are planning to raft up in Zachs Bay Sunday for the airshow. I am going to try to make it to the Hudson on Monday to get up close to the fleet. My concern is the ocean conditions. Its been so damn windy here for so long, I dont believe the projected marine forecast for 2' seas on Monday. If its good, I am going.

Is anyone interested in either?

Vinny

CBR 05-25-2006 06:16 PM

Re: Jones Beach Air Show and Fleet Week, anyone interested?

I will probably go to Zach's early Sunday morning, likely stay at anchor overnight, come back on Monday.

Vinny P 05-25-2006 06:28 PM

Hi Chris,

Looking forward to catching up with you there!!

CBR 05-25-2006 10:09 PM

Yes, good luck this year with your rig, I look forward to seeing it again. Try not to tilt the earth and ocean with your motor when I am out trolling for bluefish with the Sonic, ok? :D

Panther 05-25-2006 10:12 PM

Hmmm, that's an idea!

I was wondering what to do this weekend, I forgot about fleet week. :rolleyes:

Baddogg 05-26-2006 06:40 AM

When I S The Air Show?? Where Is A Good Place To See (on Land)

Panther 05-26-2006 08:02 AM

Was talking to my wife last night. Is "fleet week" this weekend or 4th of July weekend?

DJD 05-26-2006 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Panther
Was talking to my wife last night. Is "fleet week" this weekend or 4th of July weekend?

It started on Wednesday the 24th

DJD 05-26-2006 02:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up! We just went down to Ft. Lauderdale & my 4 year old son had a BLAST! To our surprise, the pilots were staying at the same hotel (Bahia Mar) and my son was in awe meeting them. We took lots of pictures with them & they gave my son posters & shirt pins.
I just told my son that we are going to take a drive (an our from Greenwich CT) & see them tomorrow :D I hope the weather clears by the time they go up

CBR 05-26-2006 02:16 PM

Lucky you Dave, hopefully he will continue to be impressed with the pilots and go to the airforce academy. That way you will not have to pay for his college degree! <gg>

Pretty cool Ft. Lauderdale experience for you and your son.

Vinny P 05-26-2006 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Baddogg
When I S The Air Show?? Where Is A Good Place To See (on Land)

If you want to go by car, you would have to get to Jones Beach parking field 4,5 or 6.. The show is centered right at the flag pole between the golf course and the old Beach restaurant ( thats not there anymore) Basically, the show is centered at the traffic circle at Ocean parkway and Wantagh parkway. I am going to be in Zachs bay, just across Ocean parkway .
I may go by car tomorrow to get closer to the action.

http://www.jonesbeachairshow.com/

Fleet week is definetly this weekend. I work for the NYPD. I called the cities Harbor unit today. I was a bit concerned that they would have the Hudson closed off and not allow us up close. I was told that the Hudson is open for everyone. They are enforcing only a 100 yard perimeter around the ships. Thats close enough to get a good look at those huge ships.

http://www.newyorkled.com/nyc_events_Fleet_Week.htm

Chris,
I'll see you Sunday at Zachs. Johnny D. is going, along with at least 3 others as well.

tripps 05-26-2006 10:02 PM

Some of the S+F boys are goin to another spot,check out there site,general discussion,theres a nice map of where we will be tripps

CBR 05-29-2006 10:43 PM

Hey Tripps, hope you had a great view of the Blue Angels. I think I may have zipped by a couple of your group waiting to assemble in the SBC. Was lucky to get a great spot in Zachs, rafted up to several of the OSO crew boats. Compared bow structural standards......how much they vibrated when standing on them as a Blue Angel blasted by with afterburners on. <gg>

JCPERF 05-29-2006 10:56 PM

Byrdman and myself went out in the ocean in Joe Sgro's 28 Skater to watch the air show.It was very cool. :cool:

CBR 05-29-2006 11:15 PM

Glad you had a chance to enjoy the show JC and all others who made it by sea or land.

Anyone know the nose art name of the B-17 and where it was from/history?

DJD 05-30-2006 07:32 AM

Great show! Thanks again for the heads up. My first time to Jones Beach & I couldn't believe it was only a 45 min drive from Greenwich CT.

CBR 05-30-2006 11:35 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, we were very close to the beach, you should have thrown a dead bluerunner or something at us. I drive every weekend from northern NJ, it also takes me only 30 to 40 minutes if the traffic flow is timed correctly.

Vinny P 05-30-2006 07:44 PM

Hey Chris,

I enjoyed the company as much as the show. You and Jane are very cool. Your boating experiences are second to none. I only wish I got around as much as you do. Love to hear about your experiences in the Keys.
I think we had the fastest raft up going in Zachs that day. The 5 of us had the place covered and I had the 5 of us covered.. :evilb: :evilb: I didnt see anyone that came close. After the show, getting out of there was an experience I dont want to repeat again. The low tide only amplified the problems.
Yesterday, I didnt make it to the Hudson. Went east instead, ran to Robert Moses via the ocean. Conditions were great. My bigggest problem was my lifeline jacket rubbing through my sunburned shoulders.

Vinny

Here's Johnny 05-30-2006 08:22 PM

Vinny......your not kidding about the sunburn......I burnt the hell out of my back from standing and looking up the whole time......

Vinny P 05-30-2006 08:26 PM

Johnny,
I am sitting on my couch with a towel on my back sucking up the oooze thats coming out of my shoulders. :eek:
I had Grovers block me up yesterday. I changed my drive lube. So far, it looks good. I guess I set-up the drive right. Not bad for my first one. If it breaks now, it isnt because I set it up wrong.

I am still a bit upset that Chris didnt pull a small car out of his cabin. He had just about everything else!!

I am still laughing about that guy with the SS Minnow and the captains shirt!!

Here's Johnny 05-30-2006 08:31 PM

Good to here the drive is set up right......and yes he does have it all in there......If the weather is good I will be at Grovers at about 3:30 tomorrow taking a short ride then vacuming up the weekend crumbs off the carpet.....

Panther 05-30-2006 11:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not as many boats in NYC as I thought there would be.

Other than our pack of knuckle heads there weren't any other boats. We only saw another 28 Skater.

CBR 05-31-2006 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The airshow and our informal OSO raft-up really was great.

Sorry to hear about your sunburns Johnny and Vin. Ouch! There is a picture below of a blue thing that will help next time. No sunburns for Jane and I, but we also used sunblock rated at 50. Sorry we forget to put a car in the cabin Vin, hope you made it ok to the BBQ though.

It was super to meet Mat, Joe, Blake and Joan for the first time, and you guys plus Angie again. Hope Joan did not suffer too much from sunburn as she looked pretty red also.

Had an interesting experience with the cruiser who anchored nearly ontop of our raft-up. Tell you about it later!

Now, if we can just get the Navy guys to join the airshow with a simulated attack on Jones Beach, that would really be cool, and no need to boat to Manhattan to see the ships!

Vinny P 05-31-2006 06:59 PM

Chris,
The sunbrella did give you a struggle to get set right, but I guess it was worth it. Lets hear it, spill the story of the "Captain"....

CBR 05-31-2006 08:31 PM

The story would lack dramatic effect without appropriate hand gestures. :drink:

Yep, the AnchorShade is one of the best things I have bought for the boat, particularly when under the hot sun in Florida. Most people merely pop the thing open, plant the rubber foot on the cockpit floor, attach the four side tie downs, and you are done in five minutes. I, on the other hand, enjoy figuring out how to fit it into a fishing contraption on the engine hatch of a gofast. :D When not doing that, I tie it off to one side of the cockpit or the other, as it can be a bit of a pain sliding past the .... oh never mind. :p