Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is this a K&N Air Filter? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131094-k-n-air-filter.html)

Dave1972 05-25-2006 08:44 PM

Is this a K&N Air Filter?

2 Attachment(s)
I bought this Eddie Marine flame arrestor for my 502mpi a few years ago and it's getting a little dirty (was snow white when purchased). I have the K&N filtercharger cleaner/oil combo but am wondering if this can even be cleaned since it's in the marine environment? It was white when I got it new and I did not oil it...common sense tells me that oil might catch fire if there is a spark so I'm guessing no oil?????

What are your thoughts????

Thanks for the help.

TC 05-25-2006 08:55 PM

Re: Is this a K&N Air Filter?

I am nearly certain that if it were a K&N filter it would say it on the rubber/ sealing surface somewhere. I run a K&N air filter on everything I own and I have never received one that was not already pre-oiled (red) out of the box.

Dave1972 05-25-2006 09:03 PM

Those were my thoughts as well. I have K&N on everything also but when I purchased this the element was snow white. The only thing on the rubber is the SAE J1928 stamp indicating it's purpose in the marine environment.

Sooo...can I clean it and not oil it? HELP again anyone!!!

Thanks so far TC :)

ratman 05-25-2006 09:09 PM

k&n filters are light grey before oiling, the oil turns em red

Dave1972 05-25-2006 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just peeked at the Eddie Marine site and this is what they say....wonder if mine is the "now equipped" version???

"This high volume Billet Flame Arrestor is designed for Mercruiser MPI Engines. This arrestor is much larger than stock arrestors for maximum airflow. Install one for performance and it looks awesome. This unit will only work on engines that the air intake is located on the starboard side of the engine. Now equipped with a genuine K & N filter element. "

Smarty 05-25-2006 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dave1972
I bought this Eddie Marine flame arrestor for my 502mpi a few years ago and it's getting a little dirty (was snow white when purchased). I have the K&N filtercharger cleaner/oil combo but am wondering if this can even be cleaned since it's in the marine environment? It was white when I got it new and I did not oil it...common sense tells me that oil might catch fire if there is a spark so I'm guessing no oil?????

What are your thoughts????

Thanks for the help.

The detergent/cleaner is used to clean the filter initially, then wash the filter out and let it dry, then apply the filter oil to the filter, the filter oil is what helps the filter capture the dust/dirt. Without oiling the filter, it will not work as well. The filter should not catch fire. If still concerned ask K&N.

Dave1972 05-26-2006 07:24 AM

Smarty,

Thanks for the lesson on the K&N stuff...I've had K&N for years but was just curious if the element I have is cleanable...I went for it last night and used the cleaner and it came clean and is now drying. I think I'll call K&N sometime today to verify if its one of theirs. I didn't think to call them directly!

Thanks for the help!!!!!!! :D

Rebel_Heart 05-28-2006 12:20 AM

I have a couple for sale with only 30 hours. Will make someone a good deal. Purchased from Arizona Speed.