Boat sliding on lift questions

Notices

Boat sliding on lift questions

Old 05-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Boat sliding on lift questions

replaced my carpeted lift bunks this weekend with the plastic boards used on many lifts nowadays. My bunks are set 6" higher in the front than the rear, so not a huge amount. After raising the boat up, I noticed it was sitting back further than it was less than a minute earlier.
The boat continued to slide back to where the drives where under my slip extension and the swim platform was sitting on top of the extension in a matter of seconds, so I could not go down with the lift. A boat pulling on the front, several guys pushing the boat and a board used as a prybar, we where able to slide it forward to lower the lift.

My slip sees rough water as the cruisers come in. Never had this with the carpeted bunks. I'm thinking of making the rear boards ( for the stepped hull) extend further forward so they will act as stops against the step in the hull. But this is figuring the boat will always slide back until it is against the stops. Not really my idea of right, more of a band aid. More risk of the lift coming up catching the step corner.

How do you guys prevent this that have the plastic boards? Gotta be tons of these used on LOTO that sees way more wave action than mine does.
Thanks

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-29-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Re: Boat sliding on lift questions

Never had a lift, but how about just tie the boat with your dock lines once the lift is in its final "Full Lift" position?

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-30-2006, 04:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: Boat sliding on lift questions

I've heard of this quite a bit. The Nortech that was dropped in the road had just done the same thing on the trailer(if memory is correct). I'm not sure if a stop at the end would work or maybe put the carpet back in a couple spots to help hold it.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did you add the plastic sliders?
They're meant for trailers to make launching easier. They also let the boat slide off onto the ground easier too.
You're using a fixed lift at your dock, the sliders aren't needed. I'd take them off ASAP.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I have never used them on either of our lifts, I have always just used indoor/outdoor carpet on our lift bunks. Can you adjust the bow up attitude of your lift? Our lifts have a pole and motor at the front and the back so I can adjust how high I want the bow to be up in the air. Sounds like you need to re-evaluate whether or not you need them.
good luck,
Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 05-30-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggy
Why did you add the plastic sliders?
They're meant for trailers to make launching easier. They also let the boat slide off onto the ground easier too.
You're using a fixed lift at your dock, the sliders aren't needed. I'd take them off ASAP.
He replaced the carpet covered bunks with the all plastic ones. Not those sliders you nail over the carpet.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He replaced the carpet covered bunks with the all plastic ones. Not those sliders you nail over the carpet.
Ah, I see.
You,re right. I thought he added the sliders.
I've watched people launch with them on trailers. The boat slides off like it was greased.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Perhaps extending the rear most supports and putting another piece perpendicular to them; to create a T is best. The to portion of the T would rest against the rear most step by design.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A boat should be tied even if it is on a lift.

The USCG told me that after a surge of water lifted the boat off the lift during the night. It floated two miles out the channel and was found the next morning. Not one scratch.
USCG towed it back.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I think US1 Fountain has a floating lift.

Quick Reply: Boat sliding on lift questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.