Like Tree0Likes

If you had to do it again buy new or used??

Old 06-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: If you had to do it again buy new or used??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera1
The amount of depreciation on boats FAR outweigh the cost of repairs to a used one.. Some new rigs are selling at a 25-50 % loss in only a couple years
Most dealer tech's are underpaid and overworked , not who I want wrenching on my rig ..so much for the value of a warranty..
Look at the prices and goodies already installed on some of the used rigs on OSO..
USED unless you have money to throw away !

I think these boats are like rental cars, beat and ridden hard. Not everyone takes care of these boats like I would so therefore I would like to be the first owner. Depreciation is the known expense but plenty of people have posted on here about the unknown issues they found out about when they arrrived home. The Fountain 35 guy from Canada got a great deal for 80K but boat overheats, is 8-9 years old and has a burning smell coming from dash! I would rather buy new 35 Executioner and know every hour that was put on that boat and know every maintenance was done ontime, properly. I would bet the cost to own the used boat will be identical to buying the new one after 5 years. The new boat will need gas and the used boat will need everything under the hatch and hanging off the transom. Then 5 years from now what will be a 14 year old boat with 3-4 year old fresh rebuilds be worth vs a clean, well maintained 5 year old Fountain? I want to turn keys not wrenches!

I have this philosphy about cars and trucks as well. Think about how many storm damaged cars/ trucks/ boats are going to be sold to suckers this year. Buy new and take care of it.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fresh water, used, with warranty
Old 06-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Formula Fastech 353

bought two used Sleekcrafts 21 and 26. Only replaced water pump impellers (every two yrs) and one shift cable. Way cheaper than a new boat.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Registered

My Boats: NorTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think these boats are like rental cars, beat and ridden hard. Not everyone takes care of these boats like I would so therefore I would like to be the first owner. Depreciation is the known expense but plenty of people have posted on here about the unknown issues they found out about when they arrrived home. The Fountain 35 guy from Canada got a great deal for 80K but boat overheats, is 8-9 years old and has a burning smell coming from dash! I would rather buy new 35 Executioner and know every hour that was put on that boat and know every maintenance was done ontime, properly. I would bet the cost to own the used boat will be identical to buying the new one after 5 years. The new boat will need gas and the used boat will need everything under the hatch and hanging off the transom. Then 5 years from now what will be a 14 year old boat with 3-4 year old fresh rebuilds be worth vs a clean, well maintained 5 year old Fountain? I want to turn keys not wrenches!

I have this philosphy about cars and trucks as well. Think about how many storm damaged cars/ trucks/ boats are going to be sold to suckers this year. Buy new and take care of it.
Used and New costing the same in 5 years ???
Have you seen the used boat market lately ?
Especially Fountain.. markets flooded with nice used ones.
I am the only one who works on my equipment. So I have no problem with the repairs ..NEW boats need repairs !
To say every used boat needs all mechanicals replaced in a couple years is another dream .. If you know what your looking at when you buy you can avoid this .. Working on them gives one this insight ..
Many of the boats i like arnt made anymore ..so what should i do buy a new cookie cutter fountain like the rest of the gold chain club..
No I buy USED, FRESHWATER, for cash