Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   who is runing titan electric over hydraulic brakes? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131560-who-runing-titan-electric-over-hydraulic-brakes.html)

ratman 05-31-2006 06:41 PM

who is runing titan electric over hydraulic brakes?

i just finished installing my disc brake set up. disc on 4 wheels and a titan brake rite electric over hydraulic. i wired it all up and when you hit the brake pedal the pump doesn't come on. if you pull the emergency break away switch they work fine. if you pull the break away switch and the pump comes on then the brake pedal will work but if you wait a minute or 2 the prake pedal wont work again. the only way i can get them to work by depressing the brake pedal is to use the break away switch to energize the system, then the brake pedal will work repeatedly as long as you dont wait more than a minute to re press the brake pedal. im running a draw tite activator brake controller in the truck wired thru the factory wiring harness of my 95 f 350. any ideas whats making it act this way? thx, rm

ratman 06-01-2006 01:58 AM

Re: who is runing titan electric over hydraulic brakes?

ttt

ratman 06-01-2006 09:24 AM

anyone?

Outdrive1 06-01-2006 09:59 AM

I wired one up before and it seems to me that when we were testing it we could not get it to work until we hooked up the truck and used the brake controller. You could get it to work through the breakaway switch but the wire that goes through the harness will not work correctly off a 12 volt source, it has to go through a brake controller. I understand you are using a brake controller but maybe its bad or it's not the correct controller for that pump. I believe the Titan is the same pump as the Dexter with a different name on it so I would look for a Dexter controller. Also you don't want them to pump up to full pressure like they do when you use the break away switch, they will lock up on you instantly, are you sure they aren't working at all? Have you pulled it yet to test it?

boatman22 06-01-2006 10:28 AM

When i installed mine they recommended a Tekonsha controller. Now they say they work with all controllers, maybe you have an older model Titian that works only with Tekonsha.

ratman 06-01-2006 10:28 AM

they do not work off the controller when the brake pedal is depressed, i was wondering if my controller has enough amperage to get er done? i waiting for a call back from titan engineering dept for more info.

what is strage is that if i pull the breakaway switch they turn on, then i put the plug back in the breakaway and turn the pump off i can then get in the truck and it will work off the brake pedal and continue to do so as long as i dont wait more than a minute between using the brake pedal.

Roger 1 06-01-2006 11:33 AM

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy controler for mine. It works off of inertia and senses the rate of deceleration to activate the Titan pump.

ratman 06-01-2006 01:49 PM

got it handled, i had a bad section of wire, replaced it and im good to go , thx guys

rbtnt 06-01-2006 09:20 PM

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy controller for my non-boat trailer with electric brakes. The instructions provide this caution: "This control is not designed for use with electric-hydraulic trailer brake systems"

Roger 1 - You say you have a Tekonsha Prodigy, how well do you like it with the electric/hydraulic system?