Notices

One of my Labs has cancer

Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: One of my Labs has cancer

Robert,
Sorry to hear. We are going through the same thing with one of our Cats. It really sucks. Hang in there.
Dan
Old 06-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

My thoughts are with you Robert.

I have many of the same stories to tell. Grew up in an animal loving home full of cats and dogs...and spent many years time on the dairy farm next door caring for and respecting animals.

My Scottie "Angel" I got when I was six had a massive stroke only a couple days after I moved out of home...she knew I was gone. She was always confident I was coming home, even if it was 6 am! Until then that is... she knew. She had slept on my bed for years until she couldn't get up and down so good anymore then went to a dog bed right beside. Always with me or looking for me to arrive.

The old man stayed home that morning and carpentered a beautiful casket in a matter of an hour while I took her to be put down. Buried her under my bedroom window.

I still remember packing a couple PB&J's, and a thermos of water and going out walking the farmland/woods around us for the whole afternoon seeing what "neat" things we could get into, stopping for lunch together and getting home tired!

I'm a big cat person also and have been for years as it suits my lifestyle better...but when I think of those simpler "Tom Saywer" days I think of Angel! Her nose/beard caked in dirt/mud from checking every potential rodent hole we came across.

Bless you Robert for giving a loving home to your dogs. You have to wonder sometimes if they know they've hit the lottery of life being part of your family. 'Cause it's true I'm sure.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry, real sorry to hear this. I too am a dog lover. give her a big kiss for me.........m.m........
Old 06-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Amazingly,she doesn't seem ill at all,she took a pontoon ride yesterday,but the vet said the change in health will come quickly. There is a world of info on the web about this cancer in dogs,if feel like I've just taken a college veterinary course. Lot of stories about dogs going into remission for months so maybe she can hang around longer than I thought.But I've used the same vet for maybe 30 years and he's never been wrong. I guess we will see. But she gets another boat ride today,and everyday as long as she enjoys it. Karen and I appreciate the support.Robert
Old 06-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Registered

Robert, I have you and your family in my prayers. We lost Nestle our Golden Retriever of 7 yrs to cancer this March.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Breaks my heart Robert, enjoy everyday with her.....

Ozzie
Old 07-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Well,Sadie left quietly this morning,she beat the odds slightly,the vet said 2 weeks,she made it 4,but was never in any pain and took a pontoon ride almost everyday till the end.I asked my vet what I should do,he said it was time, and I trust him.She left with dignity and no pain,so we are OK with it in some ways,sad in other ways.But we will take our other labs on an evening cruise in her memory. Thanks for letting me share my thoughts. Robert and Karen Nelems
Old 07-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Registered

So Sorry to hear...
Old 07-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Fred,your Golden will tell you when it's time,Sadie told me last night. Trust her,and trust your vet. Robert
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

sorry to hear it guys, my 16 year old white lab is the same. this morning when I woke up she had wet while she slept, I'm keeping an eye on her. Once they become incontinent to me then it's time, she didnt like the feeling either, she was hanging her head like she had done something wrong as she knows to go outside...It's tough but it's better that she go with dignity
Attached Thumbnails One of my Labs has cancer-savannah1.jpg   One of my Labs has cancer-savannah.jpg  

Quick Reply: One of my Labs has cancer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.