Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Powdercoating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131802-powdercoating.html)

Jassman 06-03-2006 02:38 PM

Powdercoating

How long does poeder coating last. Thinking of puttng some colored bezel around some cleats. When salt hits this will it peel off or is it very durable. Thanks Jeff

JCPERF 06-03-2006 02:42 PM

Re: Powdercoating

Originally Posted by Jassman
How long does poeder coating last. Thinking of puttng some colored bezel around some cleats. When salt hits this will it peel off or is it very durable. Thanks Jeff

It is very durable.If not prepared properly the salt will bubble the powder coating over a period of time.I use it on lots of parts on my boat and engines.

Jassman 06-03-2006 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
It is very durable.If not prepared properly the salt will bubble the powder coating over a period of time.I use it on lots of parts on my boat and engines.

JC, what about around pop up cleats, where they are on the outside vs being somewhat covered up in the engine compartment. Is it wise, or best left alone, Thanks Jeff

JCPERF 06-03-2006 02:57 PM

JC, what about around pop up cleats, where they are on the outside vs being somewhat covered up in the engine compartment. Is it wise, or best left alone, Thanks Jeff

I did the trim rings around my pop up cleats.They look great.You can anodize them too. :cool:

Jassman 06-03-2006 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
I did the trim rings around my pop up cleats.They look great.You can anodize them too. :cool:

Got any pics, thanks for the help. :cool: Jeff

JCPERF 06-03-2006 03:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Got any pics, thanks for the help. :cool: Jeff

A couple of pieces i had done :cool: :cool:

ratman 06-04-2006 07:36 PM

jc what did you pay to have the swim platform powder coated? thx, rm

JCPERF 06-04-2006 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
jc what did you pay to have the swim platform powder coated? thx, rm

I think around $300

timewarp 06-05-2006 02:18 AM

I had the powder coated bezels on my Warlock in 96' when I bought it, they looked nice, within 2 months the powder coating started bubbling, Edde marine said send them back and they would redo them, that it must have been a bad batch, second set lasted about 3 months. I bought the next larger size cleats and got rid of the bezels. I would not recommend the bezels on a boat used in salt water. Maybe if you could get powdercoated stainless it would be ok, but as soon as a little saltwater gets under the powdercoat the aluminum will corrode very quickly. That said it was 10 years ago so maybe the coatings have come a long way in that time, but I know that the powder coated grab handles on the top of the transom of my Spectre didn't last one summer around salt water with out doing the same thing.

Caleb

Island Time 06-05-2006 09:24 AM

The key is in the preparation of the part. If done properly, the coating should last years. There are also many different materials that can be used to powder coat. I used an epoxy powder on the tin on my engines. You can hit it with a hammer and it will not chip or corrode.

It took the shop we use a while to learn how to do it right. You may want to try a different shop