Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2nd weekend of electrical problems!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131852-2nd-weekend-electrical-problems.html)

tblrklakemo 06-04-2006 11:24 AM

2nd weekend of electrical problems!!

Last weekend the ignition switch($18 part) ruined my Sunday. Yesterday I hit a wave after 5min of running and the boat stops....nothing, nada, zip. Turn the key, and nothin. I pull it out(after a tow back)and to the baja dealer. We replace the slave solenoid, still nothin. We are not getting power to the dash and the computer isnt getting any power so we couldnt hook up the DDT to check it. The mechanic(and I) are stumped. I think we are chasing wires. Any ideas?

Strip Poker 388 06-04-2006 11:46 AM

Re: 2nd weekend of electrical problems!!

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Last weekend the ignition switch($18 part) ruined my Sunday. Yesterday I hit a wave after 5min of running and the boat stops....nothing, nada, zip. Turn the key, and nothin. I pull it out(after a tow back)and to the baja dealer. We replace the slave solenoid, still nothin. We are not getting power to the dash and the computer isnt getting any power so we couldnt hook up the DDT to check it. The mechanic(and I) are stumped. I think we are chasing wires. Any ideas?

Maybe kill switchs??? If no power at all maybe ground or main power wire .Just guessing

Scott B 06-04-2006 01:02 PM

Fuse @ starter......

Main harness to engine connector....

tblrklakemo 06-04-2006 01:14 PM

I think it is a ground too. There doesnt seem to be any power to the fuel pump either. If i am correct...the motor sends power to the ignition, which sends it back to the motor. It is not getting back to the motor, or it is back but is stopping short of the ECM. I am praying that the ECM isnt toast($1000), but i dont think a little bump could do that.

ROTAX454 06-04-2006 01:42 PM

If Baja has used the standard Merc wiring schematic, first check the cannon plug at the motor/motors for 12V+. That positive power is sent to the dash area. As a member previously wrote, check the ground too at the dash.

Don't feel bad, most boat manufacturers don't know how to properly wire a boat. I have seen some of the most cheesy wiring on new boats, and they cost many times more than a new car/truck. Such a shame for what you are paying for. And they (the boat manufacturer) call it "custom" rigging. Custom my azz. That type of wiring would NEVER past any QS9000 validation testing. Comforatable feeling isn't it?

tblrklakemo 06-04-2006 01:53 PM

it sucks...their "custom" wiring has the harness cut so short that it barely plugs in. The connections are very tight, which makes it difficult to check everything. Can a small bump fry the ECM? Can i have the ECM reflashed if it is the problem, and continue to use it w/o shelling out $1000 for a new one.

rdp145 06-04-2006 06:49 PM

Check behind the dash, there's a harness connection back there if it got pulled loose, maybe when you changed the ingition switch. Just find all the harness connections back there and push them together, if you here one snap I bet that's it. Did you take it to Cope?

Edward R. Cozzi 06-04-2006 07:46 PM

Check the main 50 amp circuit breaker under the plastic cover.