Cleaning quarter canopies?

Notices

Cleaning quarter canopies?

Old 06-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cleaning quarter canopies?

What is the best way to clean your canopies without causing damage such as yellowing? I don't have any yellowing on mine and would like to keep it that way obviously. Also, if they do start to yellow is there a cleaner that will remove the haze? I've just been using water as I've heard windex will hurt the finish.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning quarter canopies?

plexus, we use it on the film..developed for airplanes

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...2456&ref=81902
Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

2nd the call on Plexus.

OSO member Kevin Schulte is a distributor and can get it to you in bulk.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
What is the best way to clean your canopies without causing damage such as yellowing? I don't have any yellowing on mine and would like to keep it that way obviously. Also, if they do start to yellow is there a cleaner that will remove the haze? I've just been using water as I've heard windex will hurt the finish.

Thanks!
CYC ship store has the Plexus!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered

When I was a kid would detail my Dad's plane almost every weekend. A old pilot told me about Pledge, tried it and worked awsome. Latter in the car biz a customer had a faded convertable top on his BMW and Pledge fixed it!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Registered

Is there anyway to remove yellowing...?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Polycarbonate by nature will yellow with UV (sun) exposure. Yours should have some type of UV inhibiting additive to protect it from yellowing, but it will still yellow in time. And once it does, there's little you can do about it.

Hazing and light scratches can be removed with ultra fine sandpaper (wet) and then buffed out with proper compounds.

The yellowing is permanent. The best solution is to keep the canopies out of the sun whenever possible. Obviously you cant leave them covered while you're using the boat (keep them covered when not in use), but you might want to look into spray on UV inhibitors which might help prolong their useful life.

Another thing that might help is to look into covering them with a urethane protection film... similar to the products that are use for paint protection on cars. Not only will these give great protection to the surface from abrasions, but they will also add some UV protection. If you go this route, look for the premium products that use a poly liner and have a top coating, no need to go any thicker than a 6 mil urethane. These products will give the best optical quality and the most UV protection. The compound curves of the canopies make it a little more challenging to apply to, but it can certainly be done. I've used these products on my polycarbonate windshield on my race car with excellent results. Some of the open wheel cars are now doing this as well and it's proven to be very helpful with drastically extending the life of the windshield/canopies. Note that these films will also yellow with enough time, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

As far as cleaning solutions go, I use clean water and microfiber towels. Polycarb is fairly resistant to most household cleaners, but I see no reason (or need) to use anything stronger than water and a couple of microfiber towels to do the job.

Good luck.

Last edited by SS930; 10-18-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Registered

Use my Polish Brandon.

We did an abundant amount of testing during the OSS races. Sheets the water, gives amazing clarity and won't haze or discolor over time. Works excellent on isen as well for the Searay.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I obviously don't have canopies, but Plexus works great on the RZR. It cleans, shines, and leaves a clear film so the mud and water just rolls right off

Jim Lee might have a little insight on the subject too
Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Here are a few options BLee.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...scleaners.html

Quick Reply: Cleaning quarter canopies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.