Notices

Bringing boat from Canada

Old 06-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing boat from Canada

Does anybody know whats involved in buying a boat in Canada and bringing it to Jersey? A freind just bought one and we don't know how to go about crossing the border,customs, taxes,and changing title. Any info would help.

thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bringing boat from Canada

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
Does anybody know whats involved in buying a boat in Canada and bringing it to Jersey? A freind just bought one and we don't know how to go about crossing the border,customs, taxes,and changing title. Any info would help.

thanks
crossing the boat over is no real problem.. are you taking it be water or be land..customs can check the boat all they want.. taxes that he is going to pay are state.. disclose any amoun that one want to... and us coast gaurd doc it
Old 06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered

i've never really brought one back but sent alot over to canada.. never really had any probelms.. when every the us dollar falls off to the canada dollar i have two or three brokes up there call me for boats
Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Registered

I"m not sure if it's the same after 911, but I'll tell you how easy it was before. I really don't think much has changed, it's very simple and you can check it out with a simple phone call
to U.S Customs.

Have your Bill of Sale and your receipt for what you paid for the boat handy. Do the same for the trailer as they are uaually taxed differently. You should have two separate receipts, one for boat, one for trailer. If you're coming from Windsor, Ontario take the Amassador Bridge to Detroit. When you get to the American side, a Customs Officer will ask you for the papers on the boat and trailer. He or she will do this after they ask you how long you've been in Canada. If you've been here 48 hours, you are allowed a certain amount of duty free goods (around $100 per person), such as Canadian beer, cigarettes, food, etc. If you've been here for seven days or more, you're allowed a lot more (about $500 per person). That is separate from your boat and trailer.

Tell him what you bought, and what you are declaring in Canadian dollars. He will waive you over to a secondary holding area for other Customs Agents to look at your goods and paperwork. They will direct you to a Customs Office, where they will take your money for taxes, stamp your documents Duty Paid, and you're on your way. All crossings should be the same, N.Y, Seatle, etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by FLYWITHME; 06-07-2006 at 07:31 PM.