Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chester VA, outside Richmond - any info (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132187-chester-va-outside-richmond-any-info.html)

bouyhunter 06-07-2006 07:37 PM

Chester VA, outside Richmond - any info

Might have a job opportunity there.
Any info?
Looks like plenty of water.
What kind of water? Salt? Fresh?
Sorry - I'm a Lake Erie guy - everything is freshwater.
Where does it change from Salt to Fresh from the rivers?
Is it all navigable?

groundsfordivorce 06-07-2006 07:50 PM

Re: Chester VA, outside Richmond - any info

Great place!! lots of boaters the James river is close Lake Anna isn't too far there are several members from the Richmond area.

mopower 06-07-2006 07:59 PM

Sea trialed and bought my boat in Chester Va on the James. Seemed pretty nice in the area , but what do I know. I live 8 hours from there :rolleyes:

t500hps 06-07-2006 08:08 PM

I grew up in Chester and live 20 min from there now. We are nearly 100 miles inland, but a number of powerboaters here and the ships come all the way up to Richmond from the bay. Along with single engine boats we have alot of 30-40 footers, Black Thunders, and the 46 ft Cigarette "Strip Poker" just found a new home here. The James river leads to the bay (along with a number of other rivers) and the water is considered Brackish although I can't even taste the salt in the water. As you get around Williamsburg the water has a salty taste and barnicles first start to appear (still no jellys though). A bunch of us make trips down river to the Hampton roads area often and get together year round. We are making a group run of about a dozen boats down Sat. AM to a big festival in Norfolk....all are spending the night rafted up on the hook in Norfolks inner harbor.

Several months ago I heard the un-employment rate in central VA was the lowest in the country. Finding a job is easy, we are having difficulty filling positions we need now. If your opportunity doesn't work out you could probably be at work somewhere else the next week.

Alot of avid boaters but I must admit not alot around the immediate area. A number of local hang-outs but no real big party establishments until you get down to Hampton Roads. Hope you trailer because there are few racks in the area (one in Hopewell that I know of). The Richmond Poker Run is AWESOME! we have 100 spots and it fills months before the run. Cignificant here on OSO is the organizer and does a great job getting prizes, bands, dinners, etc together.

I have a bunch of things running through my head so feel free to call me with other questions (I'll PM you)......I keep thinking, boating from April (early March this year) til October/ early Nov. may be a big factor for you too!

Russ C.

bouyhunter 06-07-2006 08:48 PM

WOW - Thanks for the quick response guy's.
The position available is "inside" the Co. I already work for. Where it get's tricky, is this Co. hired my wife and moved "us" to Kentucky (we're across the river from Cincinnati). I gave up a pretty good job for her to take this, but I had no-place to move up in my job - she has many opportunities ahead of her.
I took a job at the same Co. because they weren't paying squat down here for my old profession (Carpentry). I figured I'd work it until the weather broke (we moved in late Dec. 2002) - and it was a nice change for me. I decided to stay.
TOTALLY different industry for me, but I was able to apply skills I learned in 15 yrs. construction, and have been moving up quickly.

The "tricky" part is, she still has her job here, and I would almost have to either negotiate both of us moving to Chester (her having a job there - for the same Co.) or negotiate me being able to do the job from here in Kentucky - with some travel involved when needed. Not impossible if they want me, but none the less more negotiating.

t500 - sounds like a nice place, alot like what I was used to on the Maumee River heading out to Lake Erie. I was always a river rat. Only went out to the big water if I was running to PIB, Detroit, or Canada - or out into the Bay for a sunset.
Currently, I'm running nothing, boatless. We made some sacrifices to move here and take the job's we have - and it seems to be paying off. We're both Die-Hard boaters (we met only because we both owned boats, and it got stupid for her to run her's alone, and me run mine alone - so we ran together on my boat). And another boat is in the near future.

And Joe - shhh!!!
Not that I think you'd say anything, but you probably know what I'm talking about.
When are we going to finally meet up - send me a PM.
Hope all is well with Sue and yourself. Boat running good? :D :D

Sydwayz 06-07-2006 09:46 PM

There are a bunch of As$hole Active Thunder owners in Virginia. Watch out for those clowns. :D

I just moved the Richmond area from Northern VA (DC area). I could not be happier. This is definately a 'true south' area; South of the Mason Dixon line. You would more than likely be very happy here; and be quite welcomed into the boating community. We have a big trip planned of close to 200 miles roundtrip this weekend with a good 15 boats; going to HarborFest this weekend as Russ mentioned.

Ca$hed Out 06-07-2006 10:13 PM

Not quite familiar with your region however, I come from t he Northeast and the quality of life and cost of living is much better here. The people are friendly and you can get a lot of house for your $. In addition, I love the Richmond area because it is less than 2 hours from a popular destination in each direction;
North - DC
East - Beach
West - Shenandoah Mountains
South - RTP

Aside from the James and access to the Bay as Russ mentions, there are several large lakes within a 90 minute drive as well, Anna, Gaston and Kerr which has over 800 miles of shoreline (I have a place there). Great place to live!!

Reckless32 06-08-2006 10:37 AM

.....and if those guys bore you, you can always come on down and play with the HRPA... :drink:

bouyhunter 06-08-2006 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone.
Sounds like a nice place.
I don't really mind where I'm living now, but that sounds more like the way I'm used to.
Like I said earlier, it'll be a package deal if I get, and decide to take the job. Either her and I both stay here, or they move us both.
I'm not gonna let them put me up in an apartment for the week, and I can travel home weekends - it's 600 miles=8hr's.
It sounds like I'd be able to do the job from another location, but if they wanted to change my wifes job, they are going to have to be somewhat creative, but there has been discussion of that too.
We'll see what happens - it almost seems the job listing was written for me, but, we'll see.
Thanks again.

fund razor 06-09-2006 07:03 AM

Hey Tim,

Admit it. Kentucky has asked you to leave.

:D j/k

But actually Virginia is on the top of a lot of people's list right now. Regional economy is stable and quality of life is pretty high.

North and South Carolina are popular choices too.

You coming up here this summer?
I owe you a boat ride and you owe me like 47 beers. :D

bouyhunter 06-09-2006 07:08 AM

I think last count was maybe 2, but I'll make good on it.

I'll probably be up in the next few weeks.
I'll let ya know.

You get your exhaust worked out yet?

fund razor 06-09-2006 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I think last count was maybe 2, but I'll make good on it.

I'll probably be up in the next few weeks.
I'll let ya know.

You get your exhaust worked out yet?

I will settle out of court for 23.5 :D

The cell number is still good if you retained it. If not, when I clean out my PM box I can hit you again.

The exhaust should get wrapped up today. The delay was working on the mating surfaces every night after work. Made me question the wisdom of twins for a minute and then I got over it. :D

All four are assembled now and ready to go in. the way the boat is laid out you have to pre-assemble them. Can't really get the riser bolts once they are in the bilge.

Unless something comes up... my neighbors should be hearing V-8s by this evening. :D

bouyhunter 06-10-2006 08:56 AM

23.5 huh? that means I have to buy a 30 pack if I intend on any for myself, and at that, 6.5 won't even prime the pump, so that means an additional 24 at least :drink:

Did you get her all put back together and terrorize the neighbors around 11:00pm?

I'll be tailoring my resume this weekend for the job, but another opportunity is also showing up - which would keep me here at home (or anywhere they want to move us), but require some travel.
Kind of a position in the Co. that doesn't exist that I've been "creating" for myself that no-one knew they needed - which is similar to how I have my current position :D I put together a PPT presentation that my boss is taking to a large meeting in a week or two - we'll see how it goes.

Maybe one day I can once again afford to own one of those loud "cigar" boats you rich folk have. :D

docmanrich37 06-10-2006 10:47 AM

stay away from the RPBA their bad news. :D

bouyhunter 06-10-2006 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by docmanrich37

are they like the SBRT? I heard rumors of "reach arounds" and "pickle smootchers".

:evilb:

t500hps 06-11-2006 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by docmanrich37

Don't get mad cause we can party every night and your only good one night a week! :eek: :D

The RPBA just sent over a dozen boats to Norfolk for Harborfest. (Where were you Rich???) Had a blast, spent the night rafted up in the Harbor. They put on the best firework display I have ever seen. Had 22 boats from RPBA and HRPA rafted up and a HRPA member who owns numerous scallop boats put out a feast for 100-200 people on the docks. We ate very well Sat night!!!

t500hps 06-11-2006 08:55 PM

are they like the SBRT? I heard rumors of "reach arounds" and "pickle smootchers".

Not like SBRT but things do get a little wild......we have pics of a certain member getting "T-bagged" sat night.

Sydwayz 06-11-2006 11:45 PM

WOW, that was a weekend. (No, I was NOT T-bagged; nor will I ever be.)

docmanrich37 06-12-2006 06:47 AM

I'm in the Clearwater area till next monday.

offshoredrillin 06-12-2006 06:50 AM

See even when we arent around, we are formost in peoples minds...:D

t500hps 06-12-2006 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
See even when we arent around, we are formost in peoples minds...:D

You would have felt right at home Rob. 2 passed out so early they were back up in time for the fireworks, 3 were out and missed the fireworks, someone is on film being "T-bagged", one fell out of his boat and into another while our illustrious leader fell out of a boat and into the water......TWICE!!!!

bouyhunter 06-12-2006 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
You would have felt right at home Rob. 2 passed out so early they were back up in time for the fireworks, 3 were out and missed the fireworks, someone is on film being "T-bagged", one fell out of his boat and into another while our illustrious leader fell out of a boat and into the water......TWICE!!!!

Sounds like a party!

Hey?
Is it true that the prank known as the T-bag was originally created by...

Harry Ballzonia
:D

Reckless32 06-12-2006 05:57 PM

Seems to be a habit for the illustrious leader.... :drink:

Awesome time and thanks to Frankie & Wilma Peabody who once again put on another great "Scallop Fest". This year with their new Tiara to complement the Topgun, they decided to do it dockside versus raftup style like years past on the big work boat, so it convinced some local folks to stuff their boats away and hang dockside (me included), but it was kickin' on the dock. Russ had I known you were bringing the inflatable ferry I might've stayed on the boat... :drink:

All this after an awesome raftup (24 HRPA rafted, 8 more on the beach) at the cove beginning at 10am, and watching some swing from a rope off the bank river style. We almost didn't want to leave staying until amost 4pm before pressing out to the festival area. Now it's Harvey's party next weekend via intracoastal waterway to Elizabeth City this weekend, and some as I type, are at the OM docks listening to Tom Petty who is playin' inside the NTelos Pavillion (small amphitheater). So many options, so little time. So far a great and very busy summer:evilb:

Cignificant 06-13-2006 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
while our illustrious leader fell out of a boat and into the water......TWICE!!!!

I only fell in the water once, and that was trying to fly over 10ft of water onto the "taxi trampoline" for a ride to dinner. The other time, I feel off the deck of my boat into the cockpit.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

Reckless, I understand our "discussion" about who had the most boats there may have gotten out of hand. I hope I didn't say anything to offend..

Reckless32 06-13-2006 04:36 PM

Not at all...I thought it was a hoot and banter in good fun. Got everyone woke up and excited just before the fireworks as intended. Now when you all were screaming back at me on the dock all at once, I problably couldn't hear the real juicy stuff anyway.... :p Plus I was laughing too hard... ;)

We (HRPA) probably blew our wad at the cove earlier (7 hours worth), and a bunch had slips at Ocean Marine for both nights. That coupled with Frankie being pierside on the Tiara changed things up a bit for the locals not knowing what to expect. I was ""supposed" to go back home around 6pm originally after a few hours of some raftup time (as others were too) and drive over with the wife for the dock party, but since we stayed at the cove extra long I decided to get it over with early or get stuck (like I tend to do) and be in trouble. Got lots to do this year, so I have to keep the peace. But as fate would have it ended up she wasn't quite over the stomach bug she had picked up the day before (reason why she didn't come on the boat) and ultimately didn't feel comfortable doing the pier scenario. Sad part is she tried to call me to catch me before I left Waterside to say stay and hang, but alas I was on plane blasting away with the phone in the glovebox out of earshot. Oh well, I had a blast in spite of the dynamics, cups always half full with me... :drink:

Next weekend it's an all day run to Harvey's annual party overnight for a large group of people, but again as fate would have it for me, it's high school graduation day for a nephew and other friends children with party's afterwards. Yep the wife has us booked all day Saturday. The week after is the famous Cock Island sailboat race up and down the Elizabeth River (very impressive visually). Looks like there might be another raftup next to Tidewater Harborfest style to hang and watch. Then there's a big party ashore. Also one or two is talkin' about the Coles Point PR same day. Too much to do in so little time...Wonder what the poor folks are doin'?.... :D

bouyhunter 06-13-2006 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Reckless32
Wonder what the poor folks are doin'?.... :D

We're trying to get better jobs, and move to the area

t500hps 06-13-2006 07:35 PM

We're trying to get better jobs, and move to the area

:D :D

Cignificant 06-14-2006 07:16 AM

Let me know if anyone decides to do Coles Point and I can provide logistics...