Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looks like I don't need a new engine, found the problem >

Looks like I don't need a new engine, found the problem

Notices

Looks like I don't need a new engine, found the problem

Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I don't need a new engine, found the problem

For all that have seen my other posts about my 502 going south, I got it out and found the problem.

I got the motor out and the bottom end apart. Doesn't look like the bearings spun but they are chewed up. Do you think that would make the noise that I heard? I am going to pull the crank out and have it turned 10-20 thousandths. The cam looks OK. Plugs all looked OK. Do you think that I should pull the heads and replace the gasket or just put the bottom end back together?

I think that as many on here guessed, the seawater pump fried. It is hard to turn. This must have caused it to overheat and kill the oil. At least that is what I am hoping and it isn't something more. The rear main bearing was the only one that is OK. All of the otherones get worse as they go forward. I probably could have cleaned up the crank but the front bearing chewed the crank.

Anyone use those impellers that you can run dry for like 15 minutes? If so how do you like them and where can I get them.

I am thinking that this winter I will pull both motors and give them a once over.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Looks like I don't need a new engine, found the problem

If I were doing this and already getting the crank turned, new bearings etc. I would pull the heads, do the top end and replace the rings and have the rods reconditioned.

Plus all that metal had to go somewhere and it's probably in all the oil galleys, oil cooler etc. It should be completely dissasembled and cleaned inside and out.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

You really do need to take the engine apart to get all the metal out. How long did you run it like this? If there is much metal it is likely that the block should be honed.

If you are in a hurry, I will take $4,300 and your core for a new 502 long block.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExcaliburHawk40
You really do need to take the engine apart to get all the metal out. How long did you run it like this? If there is much metal it is likely that the block should be honed.

If you are in a hurry, I will take $4,300 and your core for a new 502 long block.
is that shipped? What about shipping the core back? What is the soonest you could ship it? Also I got your PM but I would want to use my CC so that I can get the miles and also protection through the card.