Your experience with boat liners >

Your experience with boat liners

Notices

Your experience with boat liners

Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your experience with boat liners

I have a Baja 272 that I want to wet slip in the summertime for convenience for my family to use. Socal ocean saltwater.

I researched airlifts/hydrohoists and apparantly no Marinas in my area will accept that kind of lift because of liability. The only option I have is to wet slip using a boat liner concept. Like a tarp under the water, pull the boat in, pull the tarp up, and create a swimming pool for the boat that you chlorinate to keep the growth out.

My primary concerns are:

The chlorine eating the outdrive while sitting in the water

Blistering the hull when I pull it out to dry in the rainy season.

Dielectric protection - Galvanic corrosion - boatliner poeple says it has it, I have a hard time believing it. Is my mercathode system going to help this?

I am thinking of adding a second bilge pump and hard wiring that, and the mercathode system, right to an invertor to plug into the shore power. This would let me kill the batteries and keep them fresh for boat use. Is this a good idea?

I don't want to bottom paint the boat or outdrive, but should I anyway to protect against above?

Any experience you can share would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Your experience with boat liners

I think your crazy to go through all that. If you have to do all that then it is probably easier, safer and less work just to trailer the boat............My .02
Old 06-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Registered

Thats a srtrange concept, never heard of or saw one.
Do you have a link to a website?
It does sound like a lot of trouble to have your boat still in the water.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Registered

http://www.armoredhull.com/
http://www.boatliner.com

the first one is top on my list.

I know it sounds strange. I forgot to add the guilt factor and story behind this. This not for me, this is for my 61 year old father. He LOVES boating, and I want to allow him to use the boat during the week when I am hustlin for a living. But I am not comfortable with him trailering and launching this boat, nor is he. The last thing I need is my Dad's back going out as he is balancing on the trailer connecting the strap to the hook, just a friggin NIGHTMARE scenario is you ask me.

But I want to do this for him if it doesn't bite me in the A$$ too much, willing to sacrafice a little to make him happy. We would pull the boat out during the other half of the year, so this would be a 6 month stay in the water.

So he and I decided, we can replace outdrives every few years if need be, but the blistering is my biggest concern. AND the boat sinking of course.

Thanks for the help.

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If blistering or the boat sinking are your biggest concerns, I'm not sure how this system does anything to prevent either. The boat is still in water full-time.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rainmn
If blistering or the boat sinking are your biggest concerns, I'm not sure how this system does anything to prevent either. The boat is still in water full-time.
I know.

The liner will solve any marine growth. They say, it is also there to protect against galvanic corrosion. But you are correct, neither solves the blister problem.

So this is where I am at. Take a hit on the hull for the good of pops, or do nothing. Crappy situation I have to tell you. We already signed a lease for a slip in the ONLY marina that would take a airlift (we thought), had the hydro hoist ordered and scheduled, then they backed out yesterday because the Marina boss did not want anymore hydro hoists.

They certainly do not like us offshore guys. As soon as you say airlift to any marina, they know you are offshore, and you are treated like a second class citizen.

Any ideas?

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

i don;t believe that stuff will work....the boat is still permanently in the water ....good luck homey....sublease the slip to someone else and keep it on the trailer if they don't let you put a lift

mike
Old 06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

Are there any dry stack storage facilities in the area that can handle the boat?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thedonz
i don;t believe that stuff will work....the boat is still permanently in the water ....good luck homey....sublease the slip to someone else and keep it on the trailer if they don't let you put a lift

mike
We were smart enough to write the airlift contingency into the contract, so it has been breached, so no issue on the slip, it is gone.

Just the guilt is left to deal with of solving the problem.

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachangalpina
Are there any dry stack storage facilities in the area that can handle the boat?
NONE, not a California thing to do because we have no boating winter so to speak. I wish though, that would be perfection.

The only thing we have out here is hoisting, and for any marina within reach, this boat is too big by about 1000lbs.

Chris

Quick Reply: Your experience with boat liners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.