Default Re: Your experience with boat liners

Hell For The Price You Could Buy A Lift Almost
Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisf
Now remember, we were going hydrohoist, and I was told two years ago they had an airlift collapse on one side, it flipped, dropped the boat over the dock, which was crushed, and into the next slip with boat damage. Could be BS, but sounded logical to me. I was also told the bottom liner is the only solution for the marinas in question.

I thought the same thing on the chlorine, but was told it is so diluted it is not an issue.

Did not know about Newport. I live in Woodland Hills, so my local harbors go from Redondo/King, MDR, CI, and Ventura, and that is the farthest I can go logistically.

Chris
Well even if you were closer....

I talked to the operator of the dry dock in Newport last year. There was (is) a 2 year waiting list and I was told the minimum charge was $500 a month plus ....
Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Chris, it's Ventura Isl. Marina where my buddy had his 40 Hallet on a lift. He never had any problems and this was only about a year ago.

That sucks about your friend blowing his knee out! I've never had anything like that happen but I have had some people thrown the f*ck around when I ran my 24 Outlaw out to the islands That's why we bought the Gun. The water out here not only can get nasty but usually is!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdarling
Well even if you were closer....

I talked to the operator of the dry dock in Newport last year. There was (is) a 2 year waiting list and I was told the minimum charge was $500 a month plus ....
Marina Del Rey is cheaper, but a similar screwing. Something like $150 a month and $35 each in and out for a 21' boat. Channel Islands is the only value I know of. I had a 21' Bayliner with unlimited in and outs per month with "poor mans" marina facilities (Shower, club, ect.) for like $85 a month. That was the deal. 5500lbs hoist capacity though, so limited.

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Chris, it's Ventura Isl. Marina where my buddy had his 40 Hallet on a lift. He never had any problems and this was only about a year ago.

That sucks about your friend blowing his knee out! I've never had anything like that happen but I have had some people thrown the f*ck around when I ran my 24 Outlaw out to the islands That's why we bought the Gun. The water out here not only can get nasty but usually is!
Ah, I misunderstood you Tank. I thought you meant strap hoisting, not hydra, like where my boat is in Channel Islands landing. Thought they had like a high capacity hoist for easy launching up in Ventura. Anyway I will call Ventura Isl in the morning to se if they accept hydra hoists, thanks for the tip.

Regarding the water out at CI, I am coming to the conclusion we have it good. Always rough, flat maybe 5 - 10 times a year. Think how boring that would be if it was always flat like MDR, LB. I think we would miss the challenge, at least I would, because that is what gets the adrenaline running, without really feeling in danger. I am starting to get more comfortable out in the big seas, seeing speeds in the low 60's in 4 foot fatter swells, getting the boat out of the water less and less. Some think I am crazy, but you and I both know it is better than 6 flags.

I am looking for a 4 blade prop for better control. Did you ever try a 4 blade on the 24ol? My 3 blade is terrible and is cavitating in turns and starts in the rough. Would trim tabs help my boat for the SB channel? Seeing if I can extend the length of my boat without really extending it, if you know what I mean.

Chris