Old 06-15-2006, 11:52 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any Info on Merc 600SC's?

Originally Posted by khadley
here's a better pic with the inner coolers added
How in the heck do you get at the "outside" spark plugs? Is that boat a eliminator?
I changed engines in a 28' Eliminator cat, and you could'nt even get at the outside plugs after the blowers went on.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 06-16-2006, 03:00 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
I think they're well built engines, at 300hrs we pulled ours down to add roller cams, pistons and heads.
Other than valve springs, they would have gone for several hundred more hrs,they are on snooze. Low compression ,low boost, small cams etc.
The down side is the 420 blowers, it's hard to find parts, I broke two input shafts in the last 3 seasons, which may me partially do to the 7lbs of boost were now running, stock you will see 4lbs or so..
The only down side I see is how very very thirsty these engines are with the pair of 700cfm Holley's per engine.
Good Luck!
The boat I owned previously had them and they are excellent motors.

I suggest watching fuel pressure religiously... (like any blower motors) bottom ends are bullet proof, they are easy to rebuilt and with a chiller and a change of pulley you can get easily 730-740 out of them.

I never had problems with tghe blowers but I did not run more than 5-6# of boost.
Attached Thumbnails Any Info on Merc 600SC's?-engines.jpg   Any Info on Merc 600SC's?-img_0686-mr-2.jpg   Any Info on Merc 600SC's?-millsb.jpg  

Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 470hrs on my 600s,, 1997 models and I have changed the valve springs at 330 hrs,,, they are strong engines ,,, they did not come with a chiller ,, I do not believe in changing Merc moters, they are very conservitive and will last from the factory,,, It looks like these have been messed with,,,, they are hard on gas but that comes with the boat deal!!

RHC
Old 06-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hunster - I hear ya... price seems a little proud, but I have yet to see the boat in person. Of course, I hope there's a little wiggle room in there.

Khadley - motors were just rebuilt, not sure of who did the work; aren't Merc racing motors supposed to be blue???

RHC - thanks for the info, it sounds like they're pretty bulletproof when ran stock. I'm not sure if they've changed pulleys or anything on these. Better find out.

My insurance man and the gas pump are going to love me if this happens... Thanks, guys for all advice.