Notices

Need some jetski advice

Old 06-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some jetski advice

I'm looking to get back into boating real easy and we are seriously looking at one of two jetskis which are on ebay and are ending real soon. Never ridden a jetski, but I love power so I'm favoring the 800 model. Both of these need engine work, so there will be a chance to mod them. Both of these are reasonably close to me, so distance isn't much of an issue. I'm guessing the motors can be repaired for less than 1.5k each. Can two people fit on the yellow model? How much power are these engines making? How fast will they go? Is the yellow one a performance model? Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 06-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts
Default Re: Need some jetski advice

The yellow XP is a one person machine. Its next to impossible to even board it with two people. The white one will hold two.

Almost a rule: A 2 person PWC is really only comfy with 1; a 3 person PWC is really only comfy with 2, and so on. You can take the max rated on the ski for quick blasts, but that's about it. Remember everyone is holding onto the driver, and it tires you fast.

There are five million opinions on this, but I would not buy a Sea-Doo that needs work. Sea-Doo can make a nice PWC, but the Rotax system has many quirks, and is just not intuitive to figure out. I'd go with a Yamaha; 800+ cc.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from boats for your safety on a jetski
Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

my 2 cents.....

Find skis that run, you dont have to deal with the hassells and get out on the water and have fun now.

I had two great skis for 2 years for sale that looked and ran perfect. A 1995 Kaw 900zxi and a 1998 Yam GP1200. I recently sold them both for 4,000 on the trailer.

my point is there are better deals out there and the market is flooded with used PWCs. dont buy someone elses problems
Old 06-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Registered

Find a 1200 DP yamaha, Bought one for my wife for xmas, Thing is like a corvette on the water.
Got mine used for 5 bills its an 03 I think.
Great little machine, I painted it and airbrushed it for her for xmas. Few hundred bucks in a new seat cover and new floor pads and paint and she looks brand new.
Do the 1200 you wont be disappointed
Jason
Attached Thumbnails Need some jetski advice-dscn2696.jpg   Need some jetski advice-dscn2706.jpg   Need some jetski advice-dscn2734.jpg  

Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Registered

Yamaha IMO, and I agree w/ Bruce, find a good deal on something that is running. Then you can do mods at your leisure.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

there always in the way

mike
Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Get an old mini hawk or Hotdog.

www.hotdogpowerboats.com
Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been jetskiing since the early 90's. Picking up a ski that doesn't run is not a problem for me as long as it's really cheap and I can check it out prior to buying it. I do all of my own work on them. Engines are cheap through some of the rebuilders (under $800 for most 2 cylinders from CBT). The pumps can be expensive to rebuild if they are screwed up. If I was to buy another ski, I would stick with Yamaha (first choice) or Sea-Doo. If you look at the rental operations, that's all they run and 90% of them are Yamaha. The Yamaha GP-1200 or 1300 are kick ass, reliable boats. A friend of mine picked up a '98 1200 recently with a trailer for 2500. Old doesn't mean anything on a jetski. To me, 1 year old and ten years old are the same thing. The same things tend to be the failure points and have more to do with care than time of use. If you don't do your own work though, you are better off new. I would stay away from the four strokes. They look incredibly expensive to keep running.

Rene
Old 06-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HE SAID HE WAS LOOKING TO GET BACK INTO BOATING. ALL I SEE ARE JET SKIS

Quick Reply: Need some jetski advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.