Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
UIM Class 1 (why no Americans) >

UIM Class 1 (why no Americans)

Notices

UIM Class 1 (why no Americans)

Old 06-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: UIM Class 1 (why no Americans)

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
The other night I was watching the UIM Class 1 race from Dubai and I could not understand why there is no American enties there. This is the premiere offshore racing organization in the world . Even the American manufactures are not well represented with the only entery being an MTI. I was thinking with all the B.S. going on within American offshore racing with The APBA/SBI and OSS no being able to get along and everything else. Why havent any of you big racers packed up and and gone to Europe and try to compete against the best in the world? I think that its pretty rediculous when a team like Dave Scotts (Kilo Cat) spends all sorts of crazy money on one of the fastest boats in the world and go race against themselves or maybe 1 other boat at most races. The last time i remember an American going over there to compete was a few years ago Matt Alcone and Jerry Gilbreth went over to compete in 1 race and they won . I just believe that there should be an American presence over there and lets show the rest of the world how tough the Amercan boats are.

Big D,

Just watching the race on TV would probably give on the impression that it would be that easy. It's a great question and I asked it myself when I first met Steve Curtis.

Maybe a better question is: why are the europeans not racing here in the states?

Different boats built for similar but different types of racing. Class one boats are Surface drives with very WIDE tunnels and rudders. (High speed turns 145+) US Supercats are #6 (tighter turns shorter courses). Extreme boats are 1200 t0 1700 hp #6 and surface. To try and create a "uniform" class would be a momentious challenge. To try and re- rig all competing boats would be an even bigger challange.

Don't ever doubt your US Supercat and Extreme class drivers and T-men they are at the top of their class both personally and proffessionaly and OSS is a tremendous racing organisation. Beleive me first hand ...These guys are VERY fast.

Come out to one of the races introduce yourself at the AMF camp and let's have a beer walk around and look at the equipment and bs about it.

btw, Steve Curtis and Bard are the current Class one champs

Offshore Fan,

Marc
Old 06-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple answer. Only 1 boat could compete with them and win, Alcone Motorsports.. They all run multi speed tranny's with the same HP as the American's if not more, the trans makes a big difference.. So send one over and watch them get spanked under APBA premiere Cat Rules.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:54 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eMotiondriver
Simple answer. Only 1 boat could compete with them and win, Alcone Motorsports.. They all run multi speed tranny's with the same HP as the American's if not more, the trans makes a big difference.. So send one over and watch them get spanked under APBA premiere Cat Rules.
class one no longer runs multi-speeds (they went away with the diesels)... so basically they are 900-950 HP v-12's or merc 1075 (detuned to 930 or there about)
Old 06-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
class one no longer runs multi-speeds (they went away with the diesels)... so basically they are 900-950 HP v-12's or merc 1075 (detuned to 930 or there about)
Ok iI haven't seen a UIM race in a while, SORRY...

But HP is higher in UIM .. Right?

Last edited by eMotiondriver; 06-17-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phantom1
Can you tell us which organizations have agreed (formally or informally) to advertise in your upcoming magazine?
Not OSS hoss. But I would encourage it as Ned is a no BS individual with no agenda's that I know of. Thanks for the unbiased educated observation .

Last edited by Popeyes; 06-17-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Registered

The days of buying the wins are over. The Europeans and all world class drivers have talented individuals in every venue, albiet a small 25 ft outboard running P5or6 or a UIM class 1. The debate could rage forever. Is Steve Curtis the king? Or Jay Mueller an un-assuming kd from Jersy hooked on offshore since watching it from the boardwalk at age 10 ? Maybe Jeff Harris or a shiek in Dubai? or is it a small boat virtually unknown like Papa Duke's? Might be J. T. or the King could be dead. , a piece off Offshore competition history. To have a small fraction of armchair racers to demean our sport is ludicrous.. Long live the Kings ,whoever that is or they are. The good news is the interest is alive. The bad news is common. Bench racers have more to say than everyone. The sport is alive and flourishing and will be, long after the wannabe's and know-it-alls have lost interest. Politics don't mean crap. Participate, contribute, and feel privilage'd to be a part of it. If not shut up and go away. Sorry if I offended. Not really.
sw
Old 06-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Put Stan!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Thinking about the question again I think it's purely a matter of Geography - the Atlantic!! Besides, you have to ask yourself - how many Americans would truly be interested in how well an American team did over in Europe, when the competition is so fierce on home soil anyway??
Old 06-19-2006, 07:00 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Simple answer...We haven't got enough well funded US teams over here...much less "spare" teams to go running off to, basically, the Middle East and a smattering of European nations to race against boats that are 30 mph faster than our dwindling Super Cat Fleet.

It takes a LOT of green to compete over there........ and , frankly, why waste the money?

T2x
Old 06-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Registered

I honestly think that part of the reason that there are no Americans in class 1 is do to the "pussification" of American offshore racing. Long gone are the days of "real" offshore racing now we have nacar style courses and it seams every year that the "supercat" (if you can still call it that ) class has a rules change on what kind of boat you can run. Back when i raced supercat was almost a run what you brung type of field, now the boats are restricted in size and only alowed to run a max of a 525hp spec engines. If you want to go bigger you need to go race in a "P" class which may only have 1 or 2 other boats competing in. Dont get me wrong I completly understand the logic of the ruling organizations in doing this but i also believe that they took a little bit away from it to. I remember the days when offshore teams ran both cats and v bottoms and they wouldnt decide which boat to run until the morning of the race so you wouldnt know what you racing against and what to set up for ( now that was racing). I would just love to see some Americans go over there and kick some ass for a while and show the Europeans how its done. There really isnt a good American racing presence in Europe in any motorsport ,you have formula 1 where there is 1 American racing (Scott Speed) he sucks, then there is 1 American in F1 boat racing (I cant remeber his name off the top of my head) but hes so non American that he races for the United Arab Emriates team. If I had the time right now in my life I would love to get into it again and go over there myself with a good team and fly the red white and blue proudly.

Quick Reply: UIM Class 1 (why no Americans)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.